driving lessons

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camper, Sep 19, 2012.

1. camper

camper Read Only Funster

Since subscribing I am seriously beginning to be tempted by mh's bigger than I've considered before. I've just seen this DETHLEFFS EUROSTYLE T63 Diesel advertised

This looks fab but I'm nervous about driving such a big vehicle.Any suggestions where I could find tuition/advice?

2. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I believe both the Camping and Caravanning Club and the Caravan Club offer tuition - normally in the form of one-day courses - especially for motorhome drivers. Worth checking with each of the clubs to find out more. :thumb:

Looks a nice van, by the way.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Mike

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

They are no different than driving a car.....just a little wider and a longer so adjust to it, more room when turning, at junctions, and roundabouts use your mirrows all the time when turning or reversing...have a colour camera fitted at the rear will help you ...and after you have driven for a few miles it will seem like you always have...But never forget the tail end, on some with a large overhang its like a fish tail coming round after you have turned :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

You will probably be pleasantly surprised how easy they are to drive, but a one day course with one of the afore mentioned clubs would set your mind at ease.
    If it is under 3.5t you wouldn't need to worry about licences either.

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Its alldown to confidence. It may seem large (its actually a metre shorter than mine),, take a test drive, after ten minutes youll wonder what you worried about. Just use your mirrors and give a bit of extra space on corners as the back will cut the corner a bit.:thumb:

6. 15edward

15edward Funster

When we got our LHD A class I did a surf for likeLy sounding local driving instructors. Phoned two- one did all the minibus training for the local authority and the other had his own MH. I did 2 hours with him and, as has been said, it is all about confidence. That persuaded me that it isnt really very different at all to other driving. I could still do with more manouvering in tight places practice though!!

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Nice van. Not big enough to cause you problems apart from learning the overhang.

But it is a prime example of how a fixed bed eats up the inside. Pretty poor for lounging about in on a rainy day, unless you use the bed. Criminally poor kitchen.

8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I would agree whith what has already been said but particularly with Heyupluv's mention of a rear view camera. I was driving ours for 2 years and the only real difficulty was reversing. Although I had been considering getting a camera I was finally pushed into it after reversing into a car which was behind me, unnoticed, on a country road. Only after having the camera fitted did I realise just how much you cannot see using mirrors alone (I really appreciate the signs on the back of lorries: "If you can't see my mirrors then I can't see you)

Now I often notice that looking in my mirrors the road behind may seem empty but in my camera I can see a couple of cars or even a transit van which is otherwise unseen!

Not only is it useful for reversing, however, the camera also acts as a rear view mirror which gives much more information about the situation before lane changes or overtaking. I wouldn't be without one now. :thumb:
    Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

That's exactly the problem with ours.

10. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

Dont be nervous about the size. As already been said try CCC or CC see what they offer. I trained London bus drivers and 95% of those had only driven a car before. Youll get the hang of it after about 45mins, good luck and happy motorhoming.

11. camper

camper Read Only Funster

rainy day living

can you suggest any of similar or smaller that are good in this respect - :Smile:ta

12. aba

aba

get to lincoln this weekend and have a good look around it really is the only way to get a real idea of whats out there.

if you miss this show the caravan club do courses at the NEC show in october.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  13. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

The C&CC definitely run MH manoeuvring training. There are dates and venues on their website for the rest of 2012 but their 2013 calendar is not out yet.

I am upgrading to a bigger van (8.7m) and my wife wants to go on one to give her confidence.

14. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Just to add to the rear view camera, is the built in mike....you can hear in the cab:thumb::thumb:
    ....As the vicar said every little helps
    :thumb:

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Talk yourself into an old Hymer ( they all seem old and yet like new ) and you'll realise what they based the tardis on.

If we ever changed it would be to one of those.

Some of the u-shaped lounge designs are good loungers but you pay by making up the beds every night.

You've got to hand it to the RVs, even 23 foot ones, slide technology delivers the goods.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Size isn't the only thing to consider with a large motorhome, but the restrictions that it will place on you in use. As you have a small camper at the moment you will certainly notice the places you won't be able to get to anymore and the difficulty of parking such a large beast. I'm not saying don't go for it, but just consider all of the implications very carefully.:Smile:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you are determined to drive a larger motorhome but, as you say, are too nervous then consider sending Rick (Motor roamin') a PM.

CLICK HERE

He runs a large vehicle/HGV driving school in Leicestershire and i'm sure he runs short courses on driving and manouvering using your own vehicle.
    he'll explain what you need to know and give you the confidence to do it.
    a couple of days and he'll have you driving like a pro :thumb:

18. camper

camper Read Only Funster

thanks

Thanks everyone , this is very helpful!

19. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Confidence and calmness, that's all you'll need. After all it is only an overgrown Transit. It will take a few hours to become confident, and a driving course could help you overcome your fears.
    As for limiting you to where you can go, only you will know. If you want something that can get you anywhere, buy a scooter.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  20. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Yes we do......we do many of them for any thing from car and caravan to Articulated lorrys most people require no more than 4 hours it's all about understanding the charicteristics of a larger vehicle and gaining cofidence with a qualified instructor who isn't going to let you get in trouble.

If your interested pm or call me 07974 758989 or look at our website dataacademy.co.uk plenty of feedback on there or look at our face book page (not that I have a clue about that :Rofl1:) it's done by one of directors :RollEyes: :BigGrin:

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 2