Driving in Morocco (1 Viewer)

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Can someone tell me whether an international driving licence is required for Morocco please.

Betty and I have one anyway, but on this trip my son wants to accompany us on his motorcycle. He is resident and working in UK, but an Australian citizen.

I can't find anything on the web that mentions IDLs but of course that doesn't always mean it is not required.

Thanks

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thats all I took when I went infact its all I've used in Asia & America as well.

Why not send Ray Desert Detours a pm I'm sure he'll help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats all I took when I went infact its all I've used in Asia & America as well.

I was following you remember, you sure you got a licence:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Come Home All Is Forgiven:thumb:
Geo

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You're so right Geo :ROFLMAO:

Used it twice in Texas last week once when the bolts snapped on the step and once on the A Frame when a retaining bolt on the brake lever fell out, drove 1200 miles with it like that:thumb:

Can't beat gaffa tape when you're in a fix I even taped a cracked motor bike frame once to get me home. Never leave home without it.

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
:RollEyes: i think chaps i must have the right licence cos you all followed me::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:RollEyes: i think chaps i must have the right licence cos you all followed me::bigsmile:
Last time we spoke you'd just got your dog licence rememember?
you said you should have bought a collie cos the Black and white licence was cheaper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Hi Tony

As has been mentioned “recommended but not required”. In fact you will more than likely still be asked for your normal licence even if you show an IDL. I stopped renewing my IDL many years ago.

You have probabley already given it some thought but having a Motorbike along in Morocco needs careful consideration……….and I am only taking of “On-Road” stuff.

Bad bit first, but it has to be said. In the good old days we used to run MBike tours to Morocco [and just about everywhere else]. And the attrition rate is high on both machine and person. Even for the experienced Moroccan roads can be deadly for bike riders. The “tourist rider” fatalities per year in Morocco are frightenly high.

Some would say it is all part of the fun if you are on 4 wheels but the holes, gravel, wondering animals- people and Moroccan driving will give you more than a few “moments” on two wheels.

Time of year is also a big factor for the bike rider……There really are only a couple of months when it can be said that riding conditions are neutral……otherwise it can be too hot, too cold and/or very wet. And all these conditions can be very extreme.

Given all that, difference in speed and distance between a motorhome and bike will be a factor……with the best will in the World a biker is going to whiz along at a higher pace than a motorhome, but not perhaps be able to put in the total miles.

So, given all that I think the most important things you should have is a means of recovery or ability to carry the bike….in case of any eventuality…...Bike-Mhome communication, national emergency numbers…….

I am NOT trying to pee on your trip or being anti-bike [I ride a bike or quad most days], I have just been there, done it and seen it so many times…....

Morocco is as many on this and other sites testify, a fantastic touring country however you go……..so GO……..But take care……

Ray

PS…it is bright, blue sky, sunny, warm [hot even] here in Southern Spain at the moment…… Sod it……back in the UK next week for a few days :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back