Driving in Morocco

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Tony Lee, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Can someone tell me whether an international driving licence is required for Morocco please.

Betty and I have one anyway, but on this trip my son wants to accompany us on his motorcycle. He is resident and working in UK, but an Australian citizen.

I can't find anything on the web that mentions IDLs but of course that doesn't always mean it is not required.

Thanks

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Thats all I took when I went infact its all I've used in Asia & America as well.

Why not send Ray Desert Detours a pm I'm sure he'll help.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

5. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

You're so right Geo :Rofl1:

Used it twice in Texas last week once when the bolts snapped on the step and once on the A Frame when a retaining bolt on the brake lever fell out, drove 1200 miles with it like that:thumb:

Can't beat gaffa tape when you're in a fix I even taped a cracked motor bike frame once to get me home. Never leave home without it.

8. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

:RollEyes: i think chaps i must have the right licence cos you all followed me:BigGrin:

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Last time we spoke you'd just got your dog licence rememember?
    you said you should have bought a collie cos the Black and white licence was cheaper:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

10. Detourer

Detourer Trader - Tour Operator

Hi Tony

As has been mentioned “recommended but not required”. In fact you will more than likely still be asked for your normal licence even if you show an IDL. I stopped renewing my IDL many years ago.

You have probabley already given it some thought but having a Motorbike along in Morocco needs careful consideration……….and I am only taking of “On-Road” stuff.

Bad bit first, but it has to be said. In the good old days we used to run MBike tours to Morocco [and just about everywhere else]. And the attrition rate is high on both machine and person. Even for the experienced Moroccan roads can be deadly for bike riders. The “tourist rider” fatalities per year in Morocco are frightenly high.

Some would say it is all part of the fun if you are on 4 wheels but the holes, gravel, wondering animals- people and Moroccan driving will give you more than a few “moments” on two wheels.

Time of year is also a big factor for the bike rider……There really are only a couple of months when it can be said that riding conditions are neutral……otherwise it can be too hot, too cold and/or very wet. And all these conditions can be very extreme.

Given all that, difference in speed and distance between a motorhome and bike will be a factor……with the best will in the World a biker is going to whiz along at a higher pace than a motorhome, but not perhaps be able to put in the total miles.

So, given all that I think the most important things you should have is a means of recovery or ability to carry the bike….in case of any eventuality…...Bike-Mhome communication, national emergency numbers…….

I am NOT trying to pee on your trip or being anti-bike [I ride a bike or quad most days], I have just been there, done it and seen it so many times…....

Morocco is as many on this and other sites testify, a fantastic touring country however you go……..so GO……..But take care……

Ray

PS…it is bright, blue sky, sunny, warm [hot even] here in Southern Spain at the moment…… Sod it……back in the UK next week for a few days :cry: