Driving in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BILL 875, May 9, 2016.

1. BILL 875

BILL 875 Funster

Hi,
    Just thought I would ask this question regarding the priority from the right carry on in France does the car coming from the right only have priority to actually just to turn to his right ie the way you are travelling, or can they turn left across your path and therefore that would make them having priority from the left as well that's if you were travelling from the opposite direction if you get my drift, looking forward to your opinions.

Regards Bill

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am pretty sure it no longer applies anywhere in France

Only real danger are some of the very old drivers who will still apply it, but probably do not look anyway, you can usually spot the likely candidates though (y)

3. Mel

Mel Funster

If they come from your right
    Thzn yes they have priority

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Pretty sure it does

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel

Mel Funster

It s still the same also in Belgium.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

They only have priority from the right at unsigned junctions and on small roads unsigned junctions still exist. However most junctions are signed.
    Too answer that odd bit of your question, if they have priority from the right they can turn in what direction they want, right, striaght across or turn left. It does not give them priority from the left at all.
    Another thought, you quite often get unsigned junctions in the back streets of towns and villages so beware of any unsigned junctions.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I remember the farce of this, the lesser the road the more likely the priority, such as tracks off farms, you could apply the same to drives off houses I guess, thankfully most at least don't

We first drove in France nearly 40 years ago, it was really scary when tractors etc just leapt out from tracks on road side, actually thinking about it not much different round here still :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

According to https://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/Rules-of-the-road

Priority
    The traditional French rule that you should give way to traffic coming from your right (priorité à droite) still applies in some cases, and it’s important to know what these are. Failure to observe this rule is the cause of many accidents and punishable by fines and licence penalties. The rules are as follows:

You must give way to the right:
    • At junctions marked by a triangular sign with a red border showing a black X, including junctions normally traffic-light controlled when the lights are out of order or flashing amber. (Note that any junction can be denoted by this sign and not only a crossroads.)
    [​IMG]

• In car parks.
    • Wherever you see the sign ‘ Vous n’avez pas la priorité’ (‘You don’t have priority’).
    You don’t need to give way to the right (but should still take care)
    • At junctions marked by a triangular sign with a red border showing a black X and the words Passage protégé underneath.
    • At junctions marked by a triangular sign with a red border showing a broad vertical arrow with a thinner horizontal line through it.
    • Where the main road is joined by a private road or exit or a dirt track.
    • Diamond-shaped yellow signs with a white border, which are posted at regular intervals (e.g. every 5km) on some national roads, indicate that you have priority at all junctions. If this sign has a thick diagonal black line through it, however, it means that you no longer have priority at every junction and must obey individual junction signs (see above).
    [​IMG]

If you’re ever in doubt about who has the right of way, it’s wise to give way (particularly to large trucks!), and you should always give way to trams and to emergency (ambulance, fire, police) and public utility (electricity, gas, telephone, water) vehicles when their lights are flashing or sirens sounding (or they don’t look as if they’re going to stop!).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that's my maxim.. it has served me well.. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  11. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Well David , sorry to say.... you're wrong on that one, and you better remember this or you might get into troubles!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

@magicsurfbus I agree nearly on everything except the car park bit!

This is why it's so wild on a parking place. People go across the lanes without giving a damn. I was taught not to expect anything from insurance if I was trying to go back into traffic from a parking place and get bumped in. Just wait until no one in sight , unless you have a specific sign.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Deffo still applies to junctions with no give way/stop markings. A couple of years ago I nearly broadsided a local in St Valery who had priority coming out of a side road between two buildings. He didnt seem to care how near I was to the juntcion he was coming out no matter what.

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If you believe that you could be in for a big prang. In areas where it is common the French really do use it and drive straight out in front of you. Neally had one in Grand Fort Philippe just up the road from Calais a few years ago I was driving along the main road a car just pulled out right in front off me, not much fun doing an emergency stop in a fully laden Motorhome.:)

At least they don't have it on roundabouts anymore. When we first drove in France traffic on the roundabout used to have to give way to oncoming traffic so cars would just drive straight onto the roundabout, speeded up traffic flow but your nerves were shot by the time you got round.:)

15. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Sorry guv' but you're wrong, in fact 'priority from the right signs are on the increase in towns and villages.
    When driving in the countryside if you see a triangular sign outlined in red with a black X on a white background usually situated on the approach to a righthand junction with reduced visibility, this also indicates that vehicles pulling out of that righthand junction have priority

Ooooops! Should have read the previous post

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Yes, definitely still exists, nearly got caught out last year in Mouzon.
    If in doubt.................

17. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

Most of the French drivers think they have priority no matter what direction they are coming from especially after about 11AM when they have had a few already.
    Normally in town it is priority for traffic coming from your right. I normally check to see it there is a stop white line across the traffic coming from the right. If there is a white line then they don't have priority. Priority means they can turn in any direction. ie, they can make a left turn across you or a right turn.

• Like Like x 2
  18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I have a different problem with car parks. On arriving in France I'll forget and drive on the left through car parks, then after three weeks in France I'll come home and drive on the right through English car parks.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Sadly in some places there are difficult and dangerous places where priority a droit is not noticed,we have one near where we live and I frequently see debris that has been swept into the Kerb.
    Plus I have been hooted by French following drivers who seem to think I should ignore it!!
    Take care also of the amount of signs scattered about in France and easily missed,take care out there.

20. Cavs

Cavs Funster

Last time I looked, priorité à droite applied on the Paris Périphérique and the Champs Elysée/Arc de Triomphe roundabout. In both cases, traffic joining has priority. Scary or what?