Driving in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Hi,
Just thought I would ask this question regarding the priority from the right carry on in France does the car coming from the right only have priority to actually just to turn to his right ie the way you are travelling, or can they turn left across your path and therefore that would make them having priority from the left as well that's if you were travelling from the opposite direction if you get my drift, looking forward to your opinions.

Regards Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am pretty sure it no longer applies anywhere in France

Only real danger are some of the very old drivers who will still apply it, but probably do not look anyway, you can usually spot the likely candidates though (y)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If they come from your right
Thzn yes they have priority

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
They only have priority from the right at unsigned junctions and on small roads unsigned junctions still exist. However most junctions are signed.
Too answer that odd bit of your question, if they have priority from the right they can turn in what direction they want, right, striaght across or turn left. It does not give them priority from the left at all.
Another thought, you quite often get unsigned junctions in the back streets of towns and villages so beware of any unsigned junctions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
They only have priority from the right at unsigned junctions and on small roads they still exist. However most junctions are signed.

I remember the farce of this, the lesser the road the more likely the priority, such as tracks off farms, you could apply the same to drives off houses I guess, thankfully most at least don't

We first drove in France nearly 40 years ago, it was really scary when tractors etc just leapt out from tracks on road side, actually thinking about it not much different round here still :LOL:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
According to https://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/Rules-of-the-road

Priority
The traditional French rule that you should give way to traffic coming from your right (priorité à droite) still applies in some cases, and it’s important to know what these are. Failure to observe this rule is the cause of many accidents and punishable by fines and licence penalties. The rules are as follows:

You must give way to the right:
  • At junctions marked by a triangular sign with a red border showing a black X, including junctions normally traffic-light controlled when the lights are out of order or flashing amber. (Note that any junction can be denoted by this sign and not only a crossroads.)
priority-from-the-right-L.gif

• In car parks.
  • Wherever you see the sign ‘ Vous n’avez pas la priorité’ (‘You don’t have priority’).
You don’t need to give way to the right (but should still take care)
  • At junctions marked by a triangular sign with a red border showing a black X and the words Passage protégé underneath.
  • At junctions marked by a triangular sign with a red border showing a broad vertical arrow with a thinner horizontal line through it.
  • Where the main road is joined by a private road or exit or a dirt track.
  • Diamond-shaped yellow signs with a white border, which are posted at regular intervals (e.g. every 5km) on some national roads, indicate that you have priority at all junctions. If this sign has a thick diagonal black line through it, however, it means that you no longer have priority at every junction and must obey individual junction signs (see above).
end-of-priority-from-the-right-L.gif

If you’re ever in doubt about who has the right of way, it’s wise to give way (particularly to large trucks!), and you should always give way to trams and to emergency (ambulance, fire, police) and public utility (electricity, gas, telephone, water) vehicles when their lights are flashing or sirens sounding (or they don’t look as if they’re going to stop!).

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Only real danger are some of the very old drivers who will still apply it, but probably do not look anyway, you can usually spot the likely candidates though (y)

Well David , sorry to say.... you're wrong on that one, and you better remember this or you might get into troubles!!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@magicsurfbus I agree nearly on everything except the car park bit!

This is why it's so wild on a parking place. People go across the lanes without giving a damn. I was taught not to expect anything from insurance if I was trying to go back into traffic from a parking place and get bumped in. Just wait until no one in sight , unless you have a specific sign.

Reactions: kcy
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Deffo still applies to junctions with no give way/stop markings. A couple of years ago I nearly broadsided a local in St Valery who had priority coming out of a side road between two buildings. He didnt seem to care how near I was to the juntcion he was coming out no matter what.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

If you believe that you could be in for a big prang. In areas where it is common the French really do use it and drive straight out in front of you. Neally had one in Grand Fort Philippe just up the road from Calais a few years ago I was driving along the main road a car just pulled out right in front off me, not much fun doing an emergency stop in a fully laden Motorhome.:)

At least they don't have it on roundabouts anymore. When we first drove in France traffic on the roundabout used to have to give way to oncoming traffic so cars would just drive straight onto the roundabout, speeded up traffic flow but your nerves were shot by the time you got round.:)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010

Sorry guv' but you're wrong, in fact 'priority from the right signs are on the increase in towns and villages.
When driving in the countryside if you see a triangular sign outlined in red with a black X on a white background usually situated on the approach to a righthand junction with reduced visibility, this also indicates that vehicles pulling out of that righthand junction have priority

Ooooops! Should have read the previous post

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, definitely still exists, nearly got caught out last year in Mouzon.
If in doubt.................

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Most of the French drivers think they have priority no matter what direction they are coming from especially after about 11AM when they have had a few already.
Normally in town it is priority for traffic coming from your right. I normally check to see it there is a stop white line across the traffic coming from the right. If there is a white line then they don't have priority. Priority means they can turn in any direction. ie, they can make a left turn across you or a right turn.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
@magicsurfbus I agree nearly on everything except the car park bit!

I have a different problem with car parks. On arriving in France I'll forget and drive on the left through car parks, then after three weeks in France I'll come home and drive on the right through English car parks.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sadly in some places there are difficult and dangerous places where priority a droit is not noticed,we have one near where we live and I frequently see debris that has been swept into the Kerb.
Plus I have been hooted by French following drivers who seem to think I should ignore it!!
Take care also of the amount of signs scattered about in France and easily missed,take care out there.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Last time I looked, priorité à droite applied on the Paris Périphérique and the Champs Elysée/Arc de Triomphe roundabout. In both cases, traffic joining has priority. Scary or what?

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I have a different problem with car parks. On arriving in France I'll forget and drive on the left through car parks, then after three weeks in France I'll come home and drive on the right through English car parks.
Don't worry French forget about all when on a car park! I very often get all mixed up...and I'm French!!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Last time I looked, priorité à droite applied on the Paris Périphérique and the Champs Elysée/Arc de Triomphe roundabout. In both cases, traffic joining has priority. Scary or what?
Blinkin heck, just go for it they do!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think the Priority from the Right is very ingrained in some people. I had a car joining the main road to the right in front of me and even though I could see he had a Stop sign and solid white line in front of him, it didn't stop him throwing his arms up in despair at me as I drove past.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
While we're at it (driving in France that is) there are a couple of things I think you should know.

Lights: A long headlights flash from a car or a lorry in front of you at night time : your lights are too high , you blind me. Day time: you're scaring me by overtaking on a so short distance.

A few flashes at a cross road, please go/turn , I'm waiting
On a way in (4 lanes or motorway) please go I let you in. (long one : bl***y hell what the heck you think you're doing? This happens most of the time when the traffic jam is really heavy and people can't make room for you to sneak in)

OR whilst travelling:.... careful Police hiding in the bushes

Let's talk about getting in a four lanes or a motorway.

You would think a French doesn't give a damn about you arriving and trying to go on the motorway. Well you're wrong. Funnily it is probably the only case you'll see a French doing all he can to let you in . Yes there is a sign on the way in saying "you don't have priority" , but it's no use. French have their own rules lol. So, first thing is to look behind you when you take the way in to see if the coming traffic is fluent enough to change lane easily. If so, and if no lorry coming, then speed up and get in, they will move to let you in . Don't forget that French behind you will do the same, so if you suddenly brake... they'll bump into you! A lorry comes.... errr be careful some are not French! Don't speed too much in case you have to stop. If the 3 or 4 lanes are full then easy peasy, go slowly.

That's all for today !

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just do not worry about it, driving in France is sooooo much more pleasant than it is in England due to often near empty roads.

My best advice is do here as you do in England if you want to stay safe and that is treat every other road user as an idiot and you will be at least 50% right

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Having stood atop the Arc de Triomphe watching the traffic flow for entertainment, I think the general rule is wait for a bus or coach to come along, pull out and follow it as closely as you can until you see your exit, then head for the exit at high speed in a straight line with horn on full.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Have you actually seen signs saying they have priority?? Did you have a yellow diamond shaped sign on your road with a black line over it meaning , YOU do not have priority? I really doubt it. Paris is a town, and the usual regulation is the same as in every town .The main fact is : you were in Paris and.....Parisians do what they want!

Edit : Just checked ...just in case, and you are right!! The priority is given to the right . I guess too much traffic to let the people wait. Not scary to me though as it's the way I have learnt driving ...lol !
http://www.carto.net/andre.mw/photo...lace_de_l_etoile_avec_l_arc_de_triomphe.shtml

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Only one thing that gets me about French drivers, is how they follow you for mile after mile on dead straight roads, right up your behind and keep nudging out as if they want to overtake but wait till you are on a blind bend to actually overtake you:doh:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...or can they turn left across your path and therefore that would make them having priority from the left as well that's if you were travelling from the opposite direction if you get my drift, looking forward to your opinions.

I don't think this part of your question has really been answered. However if you look at Example 2 here: http://www.france-pub.com/forum/2012/04/14/la-priorite-a-droite‎-priority-to-the-right/

You will see Car 2 is trying to do what you suggest. Car 1 has to give way as we all know (or hope we do!) but importantly Car3 has right of way over the other two, specifically, Car 3 is to the right of Car 2 and therefore Car 2 can't just turn across the path of Car 3. This is because the priority rule applies to all the roads at the junction, not just apparently minor roads coming in from the side. So if you are coming up to a T junction on the "minor" road and there are no signs or lines on the road then you have priority over cars coming from your left but not over ones coming from the right if for example, you wanted to turn left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back