Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim submitted a new resource:

Keep Right Head Up Display - Driving on the Right in France.

At Peterborough Show I was talking to someone who said they would love to go to France but were petrified about driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. That is a shame, there really is nothing to worry about. But, I realise for some this is a real issue and stopping them from visiting one of the most motorhome friendly countries in the world.

Fact is, most everyone driving on the 'wrong side' is pretty safe as they are concentrating so much :D and after the first couple of junctions and...

Read more about this resource...

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
The best advice that I was given in 2007 for our very first trip to France was keep your bum in the gutter (if you're driving a right hand drive vehicle) . This worked fine for me.

John.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I don't profess to be a great driver but I've been driving "on the right" for a goodly number of years and in a goodly number of countries so maybe it comes more naturally to me now than it might do for first timers.
In my experience, the greatest risk of suddenly finding yourself driving on the wrong side is when you do a maneuver like a U Turn or when pulling out of somewhere like a gas station. So so easy to find that habit has kicked in and you start off on the wrong side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Good Idea Jim. I usually scribble it down on a bit of paper and leave where I can see it, just as a reminder.
I will print this out and give it a try in June.
For those who are a bit nervous I think you will find that whilst driving on a road with lane markings and other traffic it soon becomes "normal". Where we all must be extra careful is pulling out of garages, supermarkets etc onto the road, it can be easy to pull out onto the wrong side if you don't concentrate! Also remember that the traffic travelling closest to you is now coming from the left so look left first!!
Hope that helps.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I find a medium sized pink object placed in passenger seat is good. I acquired one of these nearly 43 years ago. I am frequently reminded of my shortcomings. When following a lorry or tractor in France, if I pull out there is invariably an ear piercing warning to get back in.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Got it wrong once in Canada! Came up the exit ramp from the motorway and turned onto the left hand side of the road as there was no traffic about! One of their monster trucks appearing out if a dip soon reminded me to get back on the right hand side of the road!

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I remember a holiday in France when I was 15. Dad was worrying about a strange noise from the engine and seeing a car park over to our left pulled across and stopped to investigate. Having fiddled beneath the bonnet and satisfied that all appeared to be in order we set off, Dad still listening to the engine.....I will never forget the look on the face of the driver of the 2cv that we very nearly hit head on! Lack of concentration meant Dad had pulled out onto the left!
I have since driven extensively in Europe and must have instilled a sense of confidence in my eldest son, who after passing his driving test in November 13 took his girlfriend to Eurodisney in the March! in the July drove to meet us in the middle of France, and then in October drove to visit his brother in North Germany. He's not 21 yet! So, if any of you are feeling unsure of whether you can do it, take heart. This is a lad who can't even keep his room tidy!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks Jim(y) we are going to France for the first time end of May and must admit this is summit that has been playing on my mind:unsure:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I remember a holiday in France when I was 15. Dad was worrying about a strange noise from the engine and seeing a car park over to our left pulled across and stopped to investigate. Having fiddled beneath the bonnet and satisfied that all appeared to be in order we set off, Dad still listening to the engine.....I will never forget the look on the face of the driver of the 2cv that we very nearly hit head on! Lack of concentration meant Dad had pulled out onto the left!
I have since driven extensively in Europe and must have instilled a sense of confidence in my eldest son, who after passing his driving test in November 13 took his girlfriend to Eurodisney in the March! in the July drove to meet us in the middle of France, and then in October drove to visit his brother in North Germany. He's not 21 yet! So, if any of you are feeling unsure of whether you can do it, take heart. This is a lad who can't even keep his room tidy!

I still can't :LOL: I must be a lad:p

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Last year 8 weeks in France and Spain no problems at all.

Came home and went to test a new tandem cycle, came out of the shop entrance and happily riding down the wrong side of the road untill the back seat rider suggested that as we are now in the UK etc etc, oops.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Absolutely agree with the thought in your mind - Drive in the gutter.
And the moment you leave the petrol station or supermarket and your brain is on UK autopilot - that's the danger time. If you have a note saying Drive on the right and put it in the middle of the steering wheel as you get out it's an instant reminder on your return.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Agree with all the hints and tips, however, surely the most obvious reminder as you're pulling out of a supermarket or filling station is to watch the traffic! It's a dead giveaway....the fact that they are all driving on the right.....

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Agree with all the hints and tips, however, surely the most obvious reminder as you're pulling out of a supermarket or filling station is to watch the traffic! It's a dead giveaway....the fact that they are all driving on the right.....
That's only okay if there is traffic. If there isn't any then the first you remember is when you come round the bend on the "wrong side" of the road and then meet someone.:(

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Thanks Jim(y) we are going to France for the first time end of May and must admit this is summit that has been playing on my mind:unsure:

It did mine until I went and trust me after a few miles you will be surprised just how quickly you get 'reprogrammed'. It put me off for years - wished I hadn't been a wuss as it's fantastic over there and there's nothing to worry about.

Deleted User
Whenever I approach a junction, set off from being parked etc etc etc

I say to myself

Left's lethal, right's alright

Works for me

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Great idea!
I made myself a card to hang over the sun visor with a big arrow on it together with the speed limit conversions and height/width in metric.
and as already been said be very careful when u get back.
I drove for 3 hours on the motorway - came off at a rural junction that had a simple t junction - i needed to turn left so did just that then had that :eek: moment and got back onto the right side of the road.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In my experience, the greatest risk of suddenly finding yourself driving on the wrong side is when you do a maneuver like a U Turn or when pulling out of somewhere like a gas station. So so easy to find that habit has kicked in and you start off on the wrong side.

Exactly.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Having driven on both sides of the road since my 20s (some 40 odd years ago) these days road signs and layouts make it extremely easy. The ONLY times you need to be on your guard is starting off and turning left (there) and right (here) at junctions in all three cases if there is no other traffic. If that makes sense :)

Dick

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
We all ways us the term. (Driver hugs the curb) when on the continent,it's always worked for us.
Alan

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Chuffed, I only produced that on a whim and it's had 45 downloads in a day :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back