Driving and Gas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by edriver, Dec 21, 2014.

1. edriver

edriver Funster

Can anyone help please. We are very new and learning as fast as we can so please excuse any questions which may seem really daft to you pro's ! We are going to the UK from Spain during the Christmas/ New Year break and we will be organising a solar panel in the UK and a higher amperage leisure battery (Ours at the moment is 95 amp/hours we are going for a 120), to bring back here to Spain. In the meantime we are very conscious of electricity usage in our MH so we have been using the fridge on short trips on gas from the on board butane gas bottle supply. What we need to know is can we leave the fridge on during our trip to the UK with the Gas supply left on or do we have to transfer it to battery whilst driving then change back to gas when we park up for the overnight stops as we wont be using camp sites on the way up. Your help will be very much appreciated.

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Battery when driving to save on gas!

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Not using the fridge on 12 volts whilst driving makes no sense.
    You are not saving the leisure battery by doing so. The fridge is supplied by the alternator via the starter battery and fridge relay whilst the engine is running. You are not taking anything from the leisure battery at all!
    If you do wish to leave your gas turned on for other reasons, ie heating on the move, you really should use a secumotion hose and regulator in the interests of safety.

• Like Like x 4
  4. edriver

edriver Funster

Another lesson well learnt! Thanks to you both for your excellent advice which I will take and remember. All this learning is great!!

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

And the gas must be isolated on the ferry or the tunnel (y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

If I remember right your going soon, you will need to use Propane, it will be to cold for Butane to gas off. :xThumb: Bob.

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Welcome to the fun house edriver.:welc:

Don't assume that your fridge will work from the battery/12v when the engine isn't running either! Whilst there are one or two European made MHs that allow for this (a Rimor we had for example did) most do not, so if you leave it on 12v when parked up/on the ferry etc it will NOT work ... we didn't realise this when we were new to motorhoming and learnt the hard way (melted ice cream!).:Eeek:

8. edriver

edriver Funster

Hi Bob, Can I get Propane in Spain and will the regulators be the same or do I need 2 sets of regulators 1 for butane and another for propane?
    Hi Andy what do you mean by 'Isolated' ?
    Thanks
    Den.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

turned off at the bottle

• Like Like x 1
  10. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I know somebody, not me of course, who turns the fridge on when he leaves home and it stays on over the channel, while driving and while stopped. Even when the gas tanks are being topped up the gas stays on. He is a very naughty boy. But it's not me.

11. bobandjanie

Hi Den, yes you can get Propane, and they have the same regulator on all Spanish bottles, I have found Repsol easier to swap butane for propane and better still if you go to a depot,
    Bob.

12. edriver

edriver Funster

Thanks a million for this great info. It's times like this that one appreciates the real value of this great web-site that creates a 'family' of helping hands!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

Bear in mind that the temperature is going to be reasonably cold anyway. Unless you have effective habitation heating whilst on the move, you could probably leave the fridge off (unless you have stuff in the freezer). Someone told me they get extra mpg by doing this: I tried it on my last trip and I don't know what the mpg was, but the fridge stayed cool :cool: - Gordon

PS AND we have good habitation heating!

14. edriver

edriver Funster

Hi Bob just one final question on the swop from Butane to Propane if you don't mind, will I need to take out a contract etc or will they just take my half full bottle of butane and charge me for a full bottle of propane i.e. as if I was buying another bottle of butane?

15. bobandjanie

Hi, we have just exchanged repsol butane for propane at the depot at villa nova, but here in Javea the garages only have butane.
    The site has Cespa and we use propane and they stock both on site, but if anyone comes with repsol the lorry comes the following day and exchanges like for like, but we have swaped repsol bottles for propane at garages if they have them, or if you see the gas truck ask the driver, I'm sure you can get hold of one without another contract, :xwink: we have never taken one out. :xeek: If you take half a bottle in you will loose it. :xdoh: I think they say use it or loose it. :xrofl: Bob.

16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

In theory if you have truma securemotion valve you can drive with gas on, otherwise If something unfortunate happened your insurance would probably be void. Personally would not risk it! 12 v fine when driving. We turn bottles off at valve when on the road....ruptured pig tails can happen!

17. markh

markh

Isolating gas on ferries isn't required, the deck crew don't care if it's on or off, alternatively if you ask at check in, the loading staff will park you where you can use an electrical hook up on the ferry, before the onslaught of 'no you can'ts' I always hook up on Brittany ferries it is no problem at all, there are dozens of plug points

18. jumar

jumar Funster

Hi edriver, which part of Spain do you live, there are many Funsters who could answer your questions face to face. We are in the Murcia region. Happy motorhoming.

19. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Use 12v whilst driving. I understand that you should not drive with your gas on.
    when you get to the ferry, advise them you need hook up. You may need a three into two pin french adapter.
    When in spain, you are supposed to apply for a gas certificate so that you can buy your first bottle, but someone is usually selling one.
    the Spanish regulators are about eur 10 and say on the box if for propane or butane.
    if on campsites, electric may be expensive, approx 40 cents a kw. Some sites give you a couple of kw included in the price. Using heating at the mo in Benicassim, Spain, as cold at nights.
    I have solar, but when we had some rainy dull days, I did hook up for 24 hours as batteries were getting low.

20. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Sue, could you explain 'gas certificate', please?