Driving abroad without V5C doc.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Candapack, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Candapack

Candapack Funster

OK, so panicking a bit early as we're not off until 20th August. However, had a weight upgrade done by SV Tech, sent it off to DVLA 6th June. Envelope from them today, "ah, amended V5" thinks I.
    Nope, request for a copy of the converters certificate which I KNOW I sent first time round.
    Anyway, no point arguing, replied by e-mail with scanned copy.
    Don't know if I now go back to the end of the queue, in which case I have no chance of having the amended original back before we travel. Problem?

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I wouldn't have thought so.

We've never been asked for ours.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Just carry the scanned copies with you. They should at least show you own the vehicle. Otherwise, just learn to shrug. Unless you have a major accident who is going to know?

4. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Same thing happed to us DVLA took ten weeks to return our V5 just went without it but we did have a photocopy . We took a chance never got stopped

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

When my clutch went in France a few years ago,I couldn't get it fixed without the V5

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Some friends of ours did that in Switzerland when they didn't bother forgot to buy the vignette.

They got pulled and proceeded to play dumb and offer every random piece of paper they had with them until the policeman gave up and waved them on their way :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

Try ringing them. I had a rather drawn out process to get the chassis number on my motorbike updated. I did everything by the book, sent off the V5 with amended details, sent invoice for the new frame and repairs. Heard nothing for a while (at least 2 months), then a letter asking me to complete a form detailing all the information I had already sent them. I responded by email straightway as the letter said I could and then all went quiet again for another 2 months. I emailed to enquire and had no response, so I rang them. They told me that this sort of delay was not unusual as they were very busy and I would have to be patient. 2 days later the V5 arrived.
    However I have done dozens if not hundreds of trips into Europe with various vehicles over the last 25 years and never been asked for the V5. Insurance and licence yes, but not the V5.

8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

The V5 registration was the first thing the cops asked when that VW rammed me on the autobahn a couple of weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you don't get it back in a couple of weeks then ring them and they can see if they are able to issue you with a temporary certificate/document to show your 'new weight', assuming it's accepted by them (which it should be), whilst the new V5C is being produced. I had to do this when our new V5C wasn't going to arrive in time for our holiday - I spoke to someone called Rebecca Pugh who was very helpful and emailed me a V379 application form entitled "Information We Require To Issue a V379 Temporary Registration Certificate" (copy attached) which I printed off, completed, signed, scanned and then emailed back to her with ID documentation as detailed on the form, 3 days later she sent me the temporary certificate. Rebecca's contact details are as follows:

Rebecca Pugh
    C&EG - Exports-D4
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1AG
    Tel: 01792 788501 x 8501

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Too many worries.................

If you know you are legal, why worry?

Never been asked for a V5, or any documents

Was asked once at the Spanish border why I had a load of bamboo on my roof when it grew in Spain....ignoring the condition of my van which wouldn't have passed an MOT anywhere in the World.......... it really was a 'shed'

stop worrying (y) just go!

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've been asked for our papers twice, both times when we were going into Switzerland for some reason ... but it was a long time ago!

12. JJ

JJ Funster

What is a V5C document?

Should I used to have had one?

JJ :cool:

13. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes you might have done JJ - we used to call them 'Log Books' possibly since they were sort of thick paper thin cardboard - so that used to be made from trees, hadn't it? They were a sort of greyish/ beige-ish colour - not unlike the 'Rose Taupe' colour they used to paint the Morris Minors with the trafficators. After that, they were light green and still called 'Log Books'. Your driving licence would have been a little book thingy at the time. Had a red, shiny cover when I got mine, but not sure what colour or type they were in the Olden Days.

Ring any bells?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

A lot depends on how lucky you feel, and where you are going. I have never in 40 years of taking UK vehicles on the continent been asked for a V5, but I have always had all the correct documents especially when carrying commercial samples pre single market much to the annoyance of some customs officers once. On the other hand it has the potential spoil your day and hurt your pocket if that nice policeman with a gun decides to be nasty.

15. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Once at spot check in France.
    On entering I think they check it, can't quiet remember 100%.
    And the main one, coming back into UK when stopped by UK customs. May have just been me looking dodgy but was stopped and asked a few times.

16. Abacist

Abacist Funster

You should have a new weight plate already and hopefully you scanned or photographed your old one before you sent it off. You'll be fine! Its easy to stress about these things but you must relax.

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Like I said above though the garage wouldn't / couldn't repair the clutch on my car without production of the V5. Apparently it's the law over there. So it's not just about whether the police stop you.

Of course I didn't have my V5 so I had to fart about getting a work colleague to go to my house , locate, scan it and email it to the garage and to Green Flag.

In his covering email to me ( copied to the garage and Green Flag) he wrote " Bloody Frogs".

Green Flag were most upset about that.

I apologised to the French guy in the garage who thought it was hilarious:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Thanks to all. We're going regardless, I am feeling lucky, do have the new plate and did keep a scanned copy.
    Plus the amended one probably will arrive in time.:)
    Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Special thanks for the info Minxy. But you have to wonder why it's easier for them to issue a temporary certificate than just print the actual one. Surely it's just a matter of changing a couple of numbers on a computer.(n)

20. Augusta08

Augusta08

I needed the V5C last week to get my brake pads changed. French garages seem unable to work without it.

• Like Like x 1