Driving a motorhome with the gas on! (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've received a note this morning from a worried Mr G Camber.

".....I am horrified to see how many of your subscribers do NOT turn off their gas supply when driving.

Please refer them to Section 96 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use ) Regulations 1986 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/96/made where they can see for themselves that it is totally illegal to do so."

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I thought there was some special valve that some folk used to make it safe to have gas on while driving?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The way I read that is if it has a fail safe i.e. A thermocoupler or no naked flame outside the appliance i.e. Contained within the limits of the vehicle all is good :)

Unless I'm wrong of course :D

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I thought there was some special valve that some folk used to make it safe to have gas on while driving?

An excerpt from the link in Jims post :

(5) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, in a vehicle to which this regulation applies which is in motion on a road any gas-fired appliance unless it is fitted with a valve which stops the supply of gas to the appliance if the appliance fails to perform its function and causes gas to be emitted

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The way I read that it says the gas fired appliances may not be used. I see nothing there that says anything about isolating the gas supply.

Back to the clipboard Mr Camber (y). You obviously have plenty of time on your hands :whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe Mr Camber doesn't know about this valve?

He also doesn't know about the special exemption that allows you to use all your gas appliances simultaneously whilst travelling as long as you're towing an A frame in Spain :whistle:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Further to my above post, the regulations appear to apply to the use of gas-fired appliances whilst a vehicle in motion and do not per se require the gas bottle to be turned off. Mind you, on my previous motorhome I always turned the bottle off when travelling. After all, it had diesel heating and the fridge was running off the 12 volt supply : so I thought it was sensible to turn the gas off as no downside if I was not running any appliances. My new motorhome has an underslung LPG tank with a Drive-Safe regulator and the literature says you can use the gas heating whilst on the move.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I wonder if Mr Camber is s read only funster and that's why he hasn't started the thread himself.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
All those big petrol RV owners that have had an lpg conversion are going to be miffed now that they have to isolate their gas supply before moving off:D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where has he had his information from though, I havnt seen many threads where it says someone is traveling with gas on, only as an aside to something else, and how would you drive a gas powered vehicle with the gas turned off.

Edit sorry was writing this at the same time as the previous post.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is Mr Camber one of those people who writes letters to The Times signed "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells"?

Horrified is a bit of an extreme reaction isn't it.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Section 96 is referring to Gas fired appliances when a vehicle is in motion

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have to have mine on when travelling.

The pump that sprays my grey water over the road is gas fired (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Mr Camber says that the practice is "totally illegal"

I disagree. I would say its unlawful.

We all know illegal is a very big, sick bird.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Snippet from Truma's operating manual
Operation while driving – Directive UN ECE R 122 stipulates that a safety shut-off device is required if motor homes and caravans are heated while driving. The Truma MonoControl CS gas pressure regulation system satisfies this requirement. Throughout Europe, a type-tested liquefied gas heating system may be used while driving (according to the directive UN ECE R 122) if the system includes a gas pressure regulator with an appropriately configured gas installation. National regulations and rules must be followed. – If no safety shut-off device (e.g. as contained within the Truma MonoControl CS gas pressure regulation system) has been installed, the gas cylinder must be closed when driving and information signs must be attached in the gas cylinder protection box and in the vicinity of the control panel. – Liquid gas equipment must not be used when refuelling, in multi-storey car parks, in garages or on ferries.

Exactly what the legislation above states. Looking at the previous thread on this, all of those who stated they travel with gas on also stated they have a "burst valve" of some description. But, very few said they travel with an appliance on. I think Mr Camber has crossed wires. Travelling with gas on is far different from travelling with appliance switched on.;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Who is he though, someone who just wants to help, someone who wants to show he knows better than everyone else, police, gas man, funster, what is his intention?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I wonder if Mr Camber is steering us towards a bump in ackerman street to see if the drive safe valve works;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back