Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Hello it's me again. Well today's effort was to try to remove the driving seat covers. Thanks to Mikes post last year I managed to get the armrest covers off (well three of them). The seat back cover looked like it would be Velcro fastened but there is some sort of bar in the fabric at the base of the seat back, any ideas how to get this lot off would be appreciated. It looks like past owners have given up but as I want to make new covers as well I need to persevere for a bit yet.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
according to your profile you are still looking for a MH

based on your thread the other day you seem to have a RV

I think we are going to need a few photos or at least some model details to help much on this (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
be careful stripping down an old seat. even pro upholsterers dont like taking an old cover off for repair as they are difficult to put back together. you will need upholstery pliers to reassemble and a lot of hand strength or the fabric will sag and wrinkle

probably better to make a new set of slip over covers after steam cleaning the original seats

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Sorry I ended up buying an Arto (N&B) it seems to have Hymer seats with two armrests a piece. The cover is Alcantara fake suede but is really in need of a clean, looking at the bench seats if I can get these off they will come up as new.

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
If I can get them off I will create a Velcro system to put them back on much more sensible. I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place or put zip ends on the armrest zips for about 80pence in total. I don't really want to get the foam wet by cleaning in situ. But when I have time I want to refurbish in a beachcomber style.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi chances are they will be Hog ringed in places -usually the seat covers have a fold of fabric sewn into them that you push a wire through and hog ring in place to another wire that is moulded into the seat Velcros are also stitched into place so that when the seat back/base is slid into position and you smooth out it holds the creases in place --You will have to unclip base/back then start to slide up/off and cut/twist hog rings off as you go -then assuming you already have arm rests/base covers off you have head rests holders to remove -cut out all the wire sleeves and stitch them into place on new covers then re assemble cliping wire over each other and hog ringing as you slide into place -by slide I mean push pull and anything else to get them in place ;)
GOOD LUCK it is not easy :)
terry

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Blimey O'reilly sounds complex but I will give it a go. The system you describe sounds like mine though. Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say if you have not got a industrial machine that will take HD cotton don't even try as when you pull/push/stretch covers on they will rip apart
terry

OP
OP
Hammie

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Interesting video. I have two problems I would need help to get the seat out and again to get the cover on. They fitted in 18minutes it took me a day to get the armrests off so I don't have time to get this done before we go. I have decided to use my carpet cleaner after all to clean it for now and will look at my options when I come to refurbish. I think I could do it but it would take forever. Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back