Driver-less Motorhomes - hypothetical question ?? (1 Viewer)

D&G

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Woolavington, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Swift Suntor
Exp
Hi Guys and gals

With driver-less cars on the way, I believe they say they could be here by 2020, do you think there will ever be driver-less motorhomes, and would you have one ???

It would be very odd setting your destination, then heading into the back and putting on the kettle while you sit back and watch the scenery go by

Just a thought
Dave.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Be nice to have a sleep on the way down to Cornwall but would need to programme in the tea and wee stops!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
This doesn't seem as 'far out' as it seems. We've already got driverless trains, cars that reverse-park themselves and pilotless drones that can be flown and pinpoint a target with ordnance from 3,000 miles away.

If Tomorrow's World was still on the telly, they would be talking about going to Costa packet on your hols with nobody in the cockpit - just someone twiddling a joystick in a Gatwick office!

Cars would have no drivers, as would lorries and motorhomes would come preloaded with software which would take you to any site in the world without a driver.

Imagine this forum in years to come when we're pushing up the daisies. No "Who's got the right of way on a mini-roundabout". No "Slow tossers in the middle lane" threads. No castigating tailgating French drivers......Bo-ring!

I BET our successors will be moaning still and reminiscing about the good ol' days when you had to change gear, brake and drive!!! :D

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
As a left hand drive vehicle it's bad enough now sitting in the suicide (passenger) seat with a real live driver so I'm sure I couldn't cope on auto pilot!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Tesla are pushing the boundaries now - just look up Tesla summon mode or autopilot.
Having worked on aircraft autopilot - I'm still to be convinced of being able to leave a car to do it's own thing.
Unfortunately our road networks would need a major overhaul before they could happen reliably.
The costs of that could well be the deciding factor.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Tesla are pushing the boundaries now - just look up Tesla summon mode or autopilot.
Having worked on aircraft autopilot - I'm still to be convinced of being able to leave a car to do it's own thing.
Unfortunately our road networks would need a major overhaul before they could happen reliably.
The costs of that could well be the deciding factor.

My brother in law has had a Tesla for about 6 weeks now and loves it. My nephew snapchatted a video of them driving last week on the motorway on auto pilot. They say it's weird at first but quickly got used to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm still to be convinced of being able to leave a car to do it's own thing..

Yes. 95% plain sailing but the other 5% ?

Ball bounces into the road ahead. Not a threat ? But what of a kid chasing it.
Urban streets, good drivers are looking through car windows, under cars, for clues.
Manhole cover missing, is that seen.
Narrow road blocked, can it cope.
Lollipop lady, dead easy for us, terrible for a computer.

We humans are so very flexible, today's computers just work to rules.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You only have to see the Flower mkt in Holland,distribution hubs here in the UK,at a Sheffield steel works some years ago,they looked at your notes in the loading bay,pressed some buttons and the Coils you wanted appeared through plastic strips on a hook,straight into the trailer and could load three at a time.
This old Geezer LOL,knows he has driven in the best years,out here its still joy to get about in the car/m.home,because, as i am a BIT deaf,i can just hear bells ringing from the Ssat Navs and mutterings from first wife and take no notice. Stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can use autopilot in this country but have to remain able to control the vehicle if needed.

WOW !

I can't see it working in practice, "they'll" be on their mobile and oblivious to the outside once they get used to it.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
AND??? Would you need a drivers license?

I ride on a bus, but I ain't got a P S V License, Soooooo?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Where is that legal ?

A car on auto pilot has to be a safer option than a motorhome because the driver is in the driving seat the ought and can easily take back control of the vehicle but in a motorhome the driver could easily get up from the seat and go to the loo, make a brew, etc. It's dangerous enough having people use mobile phones whilst driving and it could get so much worse.

WOW !

I can't see it working in practice, "they'll" be on their mobile and oblivious to the outside once they get used to it.

You are so right about this and if on auto pilot you can bet your life they'd argue that is was safe!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hey!!! No need to down-size to 3,500kg (or take a medical) when your 70 then? Just load up with beer and let the compu-driver worry about payload!

Reactions: adt
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
So computer controlled V wife driving, which would scare you most ? :reel:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
This doesn't seem as 'far out' as it seems. We've already got driverless trains, cars that reverse-park themselves and pilotless drones that can be flown and pinpoint a target with ordnance from 3,000 miles away.

If Tomorrow's World was still on the telly, they would be talking about going to Costa packet on your hols with nobody in the cockpit - just someone twiddling a joystick in a Gatwick office!

Cars would have no drivers, as would lorries and motorhomes would come preloaded with software which would take you to any site in the world without a driver.

Imagine this forum in years to come when we're pushing up the daisies. No "Who's got the right of way on a mini-roundabout". No "Slow tossers in the middle lane" threads. No castigating tailgating French drivers......Bo-ring!

I BET our successors will be moaning still and reminiscing about the good ol' days when you had to change gear, brake and drive!!! :D
We have roads full of branles morons now maybe better and safer
Bill

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Expo 67 in Montreal Canada, they had a Driverless Monorail scooting around the Expo site, Nobody would use it until the organizers hired students to sit in the front seat acting like engine drivers

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Bet there is still dribblers and A frame questions though :reel: moi never:welc:

:pinocchio::sun:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I wouldn't have one .. but it's only a matter of time until they happen. Computers are much better than humans when it comes to these things...

.... waits ...

:sneaky:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Great idea. The current cab area would become a permanent hab area, so all motorhomes could become shorter.
Brilliant.
It'll never happen.
In my lifetime anyway.:)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Driver-less motorhome eh !

Will it be able to reverse an A frame ?
(Or a trailer come to that)
Why would you need them? Just set the same destination in the toad and let the 'puters convoy along while you kick back with the telly and a beer or two ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back