Driveaway awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OllieUK, Jul 12, 2014.

1. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

Can anyone give their opinions of there drive-away awning.
    What make
    What size
    Where to buy from
    Do you use it often enough to justify it's price
    Pro's
    Con's
    any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ollie

2. philw111

philw111 Funster

We have a Movelite XL. It's used every time we are away for more than a couple of days - useful extra space (10ft square).

We got it secondhand so saved a bit of cash.

Only con as far as I am concerned is when you have to take it down wet and then have to re-erect it at home to dry. Close attention to local weather forecasts can sometimes avoid this :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Tried one ( Vango Kela Air), put it up once & took it down/packed it away(in the dry).
    Never again, it was then that I remembered why we gave up tuggin' & got a motorhome.
    If I really nead more space I'll get a yank tank(not likely).

• Like Like x 1
  4. OllieUK

Yank Tank??

So what happened to the Kela air?

5. DP_JAY

American bus thing, the kela went on ebay five minutes later.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

Weve just seen 2 people struggling to carry a vango air awning back to the car park at the Stafford show. It looked heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We've just seen someone erect a vango air. Easy peasy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OllieUK

lol

9. OllieUK

20kg in weight that's less than a bag of spuds... were they girls? LOL

10. OllieUK

They look easy to put up on the utube demo. less than 4 minutes to erect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris69

Chris69 Read Only Funster

Hi
    We have had a number of awnings over the years so here are my thoughts.
    Vango Kela Air used 3 times now sold. Easy to put up and take down, very heavy, takes a while to peg out. Inside space is restricted because of shape. Too reliant on pump, our pump failed twice. Expensive option.

Khyam Motordome Excelsior easy to erect but takes a lot of pegging out. 3m square so useful additional space. Costs less than Vango Kella (try Somerset Camping website usually best price if buying new)

Attaching and detaching is same for both above.

We now have a khyam Screen Dome. Does not attach but easy to erect and peg out. Provides 3m x3m space. Much lighter than both of the above and packs more compact. Also costs much less than either of the above.
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  12. DP_JAY

Easy to put up yes, pig to pack away In the bag, in the dry. Nightmare if wet.
    Anyway the drive away thing is wasted on us cos when we drive away we don't come back for days or weeks or even years.
    Thats the point ofit all for us, Stratford show was the longest I've stayed in one place (apart from home)since ditching the caravan.

13. DP_JAY

[QUOE="BenChi, post: 1056505, member: 26641"]They look easy to put up on the utube demo. less than 4 minutes to erect.[/QUOTE]
    Bet It doesn't show it being packed away though.

14. Apache

Apache

We have a vango kela air and it's great. No poles to hump about or scratch your van. Erecting it gets easier after the first time , just like any new kit. It takes seconds to pump up and a second to let air out. ( gets some surprised looks when letting air out ) if it's wet when you drop it then I just put it over a rope in my garage at home and it's dry in no time. Would recommend to anyone .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

As far as I can remember from my research all the blow up drive-aways have integral groundsheets, are heavy and expensive compared to the likes of the Movelite XL which is what we have. We bought it new at the Chepstow show for £219 plus extra for the bits to connect the awning to the MH. The Movelite is undoubtedly less strong than any traditional caravan type awning - that's why its so light. You pays your money and make your choice.

Integral groundsheets are a problem on sites that require groundsheets to be lifted daily!

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we are firmly in the Khyam motordome fan club

I can put it up or take down by myself in 5 minutes
    substantial enough to resist tough weather
    light enough to carry about
    no seperate poles to assemble or attach, it just hinges and locks in place
    very quick to connect or disconnect from the van
    3m x 3m plus nearly 3mx1m allowing room for the door

without a doubt the best drive away awning we have had over many years. own khyam tents too, which are equally as good and stood up to horrendous weather over the years from wind and heavy rain to snow and blazing sunshine. just does what its made to do without being complicated or having to be assembled by a team

this is the small version but will show you the principle

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou Read Only Funster

we have a Movelite XLF .drive away awning. It is massive and gives loads of extra space plus a double bedroom, also it is not too heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We've got a Khyam screendome. I've just been working out a way to attach it to the wind out awning strip so that we can have a bit of extra shelter if we want it.
    We find it useful when we're on sites for more than a couple of nights to keep dog beds, bikes, BBQ, table and chairs in. We've had it for 6 years and it cost about £130. Goes up (and down) in 3 minutes. Not strictly a drive away but useful all the same.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mentaliss

mentaliss

Hi Ollie
    Regarding your questions above, (not knowing what your vehicle is) why do you want a drive away awning? their original purpose/design was to allow you to erect the awning utilising the body of your campervan, once erected it would then stand on its own as a tent does thus allowing you to drive off in your 'campervan' sized vehicle (not a full blown motorhome) to, visit sites in your touring menu this usually means parking in a town/site, car park.......which in most cases are not friendly or suitable for the motorhome's size...yes we do have experience of this!! when we toured Italy we very rarely found a parkplace that would take our motorhome...so in my opinion driveaway awnings are only suitable for small campervan's.. Volkswagen, Bongo's, Hyundai, come to mind:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. OllieUK

I have a Swift Voyager coachbuilt.
    On a recent visit to a site many vans had extra space using driveaway, or static awnings. the van next to mine had a front and side panels attached to their main awning. At the moment I am trying to decide what would suit me best I also thought it added more personal space to relax outside the van and where tables, chairs, bbq, water bottles, bikes, could be left safer than left behind the van in open air. Driveaway would certainly be an advantage if I needed to go to the supermarket to replenish food supplies.

21. OllieUK

I have a Swift Voyager coachbuilt.
    On a recent visit to a site many vans had extra space using driveaway, or static awnings. the van next to mine had a front and side panels attached to their main awning. At the moment I am trying to decide what would suit me best I also thought it added more personal space to relax outside the van and where tables, chairs, bbq, water bottles, bikes, could be left safer than left behind the van in open air. Driveaway would certainly be an advantage if I needed to go to the supermarket to replenish food supplies.