Driveaway awning for Coachbuilt MH (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Have been doing some research on these and have noticed that even when the terms 'Coachbuilt' and 'XL' are used, they seem a little on the short side (I know the feeling!) in relation to our MH. Most of the instant ones I've looked at quote max heights in the range of 240 to 290 cm.
Do they really mean total height of MH (ours is 3.2m) or do they mean height of the awning rail, where it would attach?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Have been doing some research on these and have noticed that even when the terms 'Coachbuilt' and 'XL' are used, they seem a little on the short side (I know the feeling!) in relation to our MH. Most of the instant ones I've looked at quote max heights in the range of 240 to 290 cm.
Do they really mean total height of MH (ours is 3.2m) or do they mean height of the awning rail, where it would attach?

Awning rail..::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Yes. to the Awning connection. But do be careful, we found the blow-up sort very narrow and difficult to erect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Jeannette, welcome to the fun house!

It depends on how you want to attach it! If you are going to go the 'throw the guy lies over the roof' route then a higher height may be required, however if you are using a fixed awning rail, or the slot at the front of a wind out awning (eg Fiamma/Omnistor/Thule) then it is the height to this that is the important part.

What MH have you got?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Well that's OK then. :LOL: Hopefully 290 will be enough.
Any recommendations? Will probably go down the 'instant' route as most of our trips will be weekends away.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What will be suitable will depend on your MH as some drive away awning tunnel roofs will will catch on the top of the habitation door ... I would also stay well clear of inflatables too as these tend to be lower in height so the angle of the tunnel attachment is greater, restricting the door opening.

What MH have you got?

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
We've bought a Dethleffs Esprit Comfort 7870-2 and it will have a Fiamma wind-out awning fitted.

That's not a MH that's an apartment block, just a thought if your going down the west country this summer pop in and give me a tow, you won,t even notice I'm there. BE LUCKY;)

Upvote 0

Dave B

Free Member
Dec 9, 2014
Harlow, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coach built Hi top
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi. We bought our first Motorhome last June and bought a Movelite drive away awning. Because it was like a tent with the flexible poles we could have it erected in no time but attaching it to the Motorhome was a problem. With over the roof straps or connecting to the Fiama it never fitted properly and the tunnel failed badly on the door. We have now changed Movelite to the Dorema Challenger Xl. This fits a lot better, is better quality and the tunnel misses the door. The down side are it's heavier an takes longer to take down and put up but it's worth it.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi we had the movelight air beam and found that we had a lot of condensation even with vent open, also when it rained because of the shape at the doors,when you opened the doors all the water went inside.I also modified the skirt were the door fits over to make it stay upright,they are easy to put up XL model but the was a lot off excess
where it fitted to van.I sold it after using it twice

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Awnings are like 'marmite' and we have sold every one that we've ever had that came with a van.
Way too much aggro!

I would however buy a set of windblockers that attach to the wind out awning. Light, quick and easy to put up and down, and do the same job with a lot less grief. IMHO !

Unless of course you want to put up a fireplace and a fire like @Dawn B :D

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We use Lilypad wind breakers.....you can put up one side onto the wind out awning ( if the wind is blowing from that direction ) in a couple of minutes.....both sides and front in about 5 mins... they weigh next to nothing and are very effective...got ours at the Peterborough show.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Awning height. You need 2.9 mtrs high.
I think these are only suitable on small vans. Too much trouble to erect, used ours only twice. If your still interested PM me for a very good deal on ours.
H 2.9 W 3.6
Phil

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Thanks for all the replies. Bit miffed they weren't more encouraging (lol), but I guess that's our fault for choosing a mammoth 'home. Showing my naivety by thinking that if they make a large enough product, they must work OK, right? :rolleyes:
No-one needs to sleep in the thing, and we'll probably only eat outside in warmer weather when the Fiamma will do, so it's only really going to be used as an expensive cloakroom/bike store.
Will have a look at the Lilypad solution, Baggers - thanks. Sounds quick to erect. We had a look at the Fiamma 'privacy' room video on You Tube and got bored watching it!:giggle:
Phil - not sure which awning you didn't get along with, but if your van is as large as ours, and you didn't like, not sure we would get along with it either.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back