drive south or sale from portsmouth

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Wildbill, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

wat is the best way to get to the winter sun with motor home i have driven to spiane it is a long drag and expensive in time and travel cost fuel so watt would you recommend and watt would the proximate cost off ferry crossings from south of england return and where to go when we get there

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Price wise I don't think there's anything in it now by the time you have fuel and tolls. Personally I am not a sailor, am a driver so take the long route. I like the drive through France.

• Like Like x 7
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I agree, time wise as well there may not be much saving.. Would rather spend hours in my van than sat on a rocking boat, got no issue with sailing and love rough sea's just would rather be on the road.
    Just go on the websites and cost it up...

I guess if you have a really thirsty vehicle it may be viable....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Bill with anything but an RV the increase ferry charges from Portsmouth Poole or Plymouth are far more than the fuel cost. You don't need to incure tolls, there is always an alternative and usually parallel route that is far more interesting. It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive, why rush through a beautiful country like France that welcomes motorhomes to get to a country (Spain) thats seems to dislike them. You can save time at a price and thats all.

• Like Like x 3
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Every time I've costed it, the Dover-Calais ferry followed by driving south in 300 mile stages and stopping on Aires is always the cheapest option. The Parc Futuroscope Aire near Poitiers costs next to nothing if you arrive after 5pm and leave by 8am, and there's a number of Aires to choose from around Biarritz.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Hello Wildman just read the above, "to get to a country (Spain) that's seems to dislike them" could you explain please as I spend lots of the year with my MH in Spain and have not found that.

Bill, I find that if you are coming straight to Spain then the boat is the best, little if any difference in money but I find it is great to get on the boat have a drink, eat go to bed and in the morning "Bingo" Spain....orf you go!:thumb:

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

There is of course one other thing to take into consideration...Having used the love boats whilst working and found I was cooped up in one of those broom cupboards they call a cabin or have to watch the drunken antics of all the stag and hen does that are on every crossing. I would much prefer a leisurely drive through France.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

The crossings to Santander and Bilboa can be very rough anytime but especially in Winter.

As others have said - enjoy France on the way South

• Like Like x 3
  9. Wildman

Motorhome crime is higher in Spain than France, wild camping around popular areas is banned in a lot of places, fewer places to fill up with LPG, A frames a no no, For a seasoned traveler who knows where to park I guess it is a doddle. However for the visitor, being told to move on by non English speaking police carrying guns is not a pleasant experience. Thefts from vehicles is on the increase and hardly a month goes by without a fresh report. Those who spend the winter on sites seem to do OK but speaking as a wild/off site camper it is not a country that welcomes motorhomes the way France does. A beautiful country of that no doubt but sorry not for me anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  10. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Bill
    Good and bad both ways, off at Bilboa/ Satander over night (watch some sailings they are 2 nights no good) your in Spain and head south we normally go to La Manga early doors not bad weather, or Benidorm for entertainment, Dover/Callie done that drive down through France lovely country but there can be snow, friends of ours have been caught in Dec and others in Feb, so a long way if the weathers bad, next year we are Portsmouth / Santander out in Feb & back Callie/Dover July, so a good round trip, either way enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

We paid £871 return outside cabin for 2 (with code) Porstmouth - Bilboa returning via Santander. You also then need to add the cost of diesel driving to the sun. We live 20 minutes drive from Portsmouth so its perfect for us.

Taking into account ferry costs, diesel, tolls etc I calculated it is about £150-£200 cheaper to drive. Add 4 extra days driving in total.

Horses for courses.

12. Movin' on

Movin' on Read Only Funster

I did a comparrison with a friend of mine, He went via Santander and we went via Callaise. Suprisingly it was only £20 difference in cost, (this included campsite fees, diesel and tolls). The big difference of course is the wear and tear on the vehicle, the difference being about 750 miles.
    I have to say that the journey through France is always a bit special.

13. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

Did the Plymouth/Santander trip once and wouldn't rush to do it again! Mrs Johnstey felt queesy for the whole time and paced around the highest possible deck all day and night whilst I looked after our son in a stuffy cabin somewhere in the bowels of the ship.All this nonsense you get fed about it being 'part of the holiday' is b*sh*t in my opinion! Now we drive every time.

14. Wildman

There are so many free aires in FRance you can deduct that cost, and also avoid tolls so the saving then becomes significant. As to the 4 days well thats all part of the fun surely the travel and different places, if you just want to lie in the sun all day a sun bed is cheaper, hee hee
    Having said all that £2-300 is nothing to some people, nothing at all.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I'm booked one way from Portsmouth to Bilbao next Sunday @ £564.00 one way.

Mind you I am pulling a caravan behind my PVC, which is why I'm not going via Calais.

I wouldn't be able to use Aires with the van on the back so decided on the Pompey/Bilbao route and to hell with the cost.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

17. crizatuk

crizatuk

Re

For me Portsmouth to Le Havre then avoid the toll roads, plenty of very good roads with stunning views along the route, Use the Motor home for what its designed for, stopping at the French Aires and enjoy the drive through France.
    Drive at at steady speed and keep the mpg down.

Last year I drove back from Marbella area back to Le Havre via Madrid through Bordeaux or round it, up to the Normandy beaches, paid about 20 euros for the whole trip. :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  18. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

We did the "Run For The Sun" a couple of years ago before we moved out here to Tenerife..we crossed Dover- Calais..we had 3 nights on Aires..total cost for the Aires was 11 Euros 60 cents..Now that's value..OK so we had to pay for diesel..not that expensive if you fill up at the supermarkets..and there is no need to use the Peage..use the N Routes..
    We costed it and found the drive across France worked out the cheapest..You get to see lots of France on the way down..in my mind it is a better option...we did 3 nights on Aires (Buchy...Mery sur Cher Allessac)..then at Alet les Baines campsite we stayed a couple of nights washed the van and did all our admin..then we crossed the border at La Jonquera..yep we'd definately do it all again..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Not much in it costwise-with weather this time of year have decided to do Portsmouth -Santander next Tues (the Pont Aven is a better ship than the Finisterre to Bilbao) We use Club Voyager and have a 4berth cabin so that we have a bit of space and don't have to use a 'top bunk'
    Coming back Mid March we'll drive through France to Calais and hopefully have signs of spring on the way.:BigGrin:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  20. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

driving south

If time is not a problem, drive avoiding the motorways and enjoy the scenery. The tolls would
    Total over 100 euros each way.

If time is limited and you need to take the quickest route ferry vs road costwise is six of one and half a dozen of the other:BigGrin:

When i came back on the ferry, no one told me how rough, and i really mean rough the crossing is. I'm glad i had a cabin but the pillow smelt!
    They wrapped cling film round the shelves in the shops to stop the stuff falling off the shelves, and i got sea sick tabs from the info desk.
    The waiter was walking from side right side and stuff was falling onto the floor in the kitchen,
    Just like the movies:Eeek:

Good luck with your decision :thumb:

S:Cool:

• Like Like x 3