Drive Off With Grey Waste Drain Tap Open Why? (2 Viewers)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just putting things in perpective.

A few drops of grey water Vs tons of mud & shit :)
Not many farmers to my knowledge post on the net fretting about the ton of shit they just dumped on the road, and indeed the damage their 20 odd ton tractor driving up the road verges has just done to the road system either. So lets take a leaf out of their book and chill. :rock:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not many farmers to my knowledge post on the net fretting about the ton of shit they just dumped on the road, and indeed the damage their 20 odd ton tractor driving up the road verges has just done to the road system either. So lets take a leaf out of their book and chill. :rock:
So we can now dump (sic) the toilet cartridge and blame the farmers ?

Result :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
So we can now dump (sic) the toilet cartridge and blame the farmers ?

Result :)
Mr Yorick you know very well which travelling fraternity to blame for that particular indescretion :D:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If there was any danger on the road it would be to motorcyclist one of the contributors to this thread by his aviator is a very keen biker I also ride and don't see a issue have even ridden behind a motor home with it's tap open without a problem
I never close my tap but do ensure the tank is drained before moving off sometimes.
As for legality of letting a bit of soppy water down a layby drain pleas show the legislation a act of parliament
to that effect
bill

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As a kid my parents used to chuck the washing up water onto the garden. What's the difference ?

I guess one difference was that it was their garden.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Caravan Club CLs are not required to provide grey water disposal facilities. To the best of my knowledge their advice was to distribute it along the site boundaries. I use CLs regularly and even if there is a grey water drain it's often unapproachable with a MH. So I use what I believe to be common sense and dispose of it in a hedge adjacent to a layby or down a road drainage grid. I cannot believe how precious some funsters are about washing up / personal washing water. Our roads and drainage systems have to cope with everything you have ever seen on the roads and with hundreds of tons of road salt every year. It's absolutely unreasonable (or worse) behaviour to dispose of it on a pitch because until the next heavy rain it will smell and food particles will remain. As for the options above I can't see any harm, any laws being broken, or any damage to the environment. Once my tank is drained I too leave the valve open until next use. It does prevent tank smells.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Caravan Club CLs are not required to provide grey water disposal facilities. To the best of my knowledge their advice was to distribute it along the site boundaries. I use CLs regularly and even if there is a grey water drain it's often unapproachable with a MH. So I use what I believe to be common sense and dispose of it in a hedge adjacent to a layby or down a road drainage grid. I cannot believe how precious some funsters are about washing up / personal washing water. Our roads and drainage systems have to cope with everything you have ever seen on the roads and with hundreds of tons of road salt every year. It's absolutely unreasonable (or worse) behaviour to dispose of it on a pitch because until the next heavy rain it will smell and food particles will remain. As for the options above I can't see any harm, any laws being broken, or any damage to the environment. Once my tank is drained I too leave the valve open until next use. It does prevent tank smells.

Oi. Don't you come on here talking common sense and making salient points.

<Mumbles>whatever's the world coming to. When I was a lad etc...

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yes good point, perhaps wildman and DJP can advise us on what to do with a tankfull of grey water after being on a CL site ??????

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It really doesn't matter where you have stayed, dirty water needs to be disposed of with respect for all

Splashing pedestrians / cyclists. if near a town as you leave is not

Causing a visual nuisance by dumping while moving is not

Spraying anything else following you on the road is not

Leaving a wet patch in the bed as you leave is not

If no gulley available then a hedge bottom or grassy area is nearly perfect, the trouble is onloookers will think it is toilet waste

I can see no justification for driving with valve open, if it so important to you to leave it open when parked then open it on your drive when you get home

Respect others please :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Yes good point, perhaps wildman and DJP can advise us on what to do with a tankfull of grey water after being on a CL site ??????
only too pleased to, indeed I have already mentioned it. People visiting my CL are advised to use a grass filter and leave the tap open but closing it BEFORE leAVING THE SITE. tHAT WAY NO ONE HAS CAUSE FOR COMPLAINT and I don't get a visit from the local council requesting me to stop people spreading grey waste along the road. If you do that on every site you will not arrive with a tankfull of waste.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
only too pleased to, indeed I have already mentioned it. People visiting my CL are advised to use a grass filter and leave the tap open but closing it BEFORE leAVING THE SITE. tHAT WAY NO ONE HAS CAUSE FOR COMPLAINT and I don't get a visit from the local council requesting me to stop people spreading grey waste along the road. If you do that on every site you will not arrive with a tankfull of waste.
So what happens on a hardstanding site with no grass ??????

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I followed an Autotrail on Sunday leaving Le Weekend event at Sandwich in Kent driving towards Dover trailing grey waste all over my local road!
He had probably been running his generator the previous night on a campsite too.........

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We live in a rural farming area we get Knackers lorry's recovering fallen stock with the liquid running out the back, slurry tankers & dung spreaders leaving a trail, & cattle lorry's (twice a week to the market) with pee & sh1t running out the back. That just rural life thats how it is, dont bother us at all, so a bit of grey is a luxury to us (y), We race in all over GB plus a bit in Europe 90% of circuits have no where to drop grey!!! Oh & we ride on the road.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We live in a rural farming area we get Knackers lorry's recovering fallen stock with the liquid running out the back, slurry tankers & dung spreaders leaving a trail, & cattle lorry's (twice a week to the market) with pee & sh1t running out the back. That just rural life thats how it is, dont bother us at all, so a bit of grey is a luxury to us (y), We race in all over GB plus a bit in Europe 90% of circuits have no where to drop grey!!! Oh & we ride on the road.
yep you also reminded me of following the fish waste lorries down the A90 from Peterhead spilling their noxious fluids onto the roads. Again grey waste pales Into insignificance compared to that!!!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
yep you also reminded me of following the fish waste lorries down the A90 from Peterhead spilling their noxious fluids onto the roads. Again grey waste pales Into insignificance compared to that!!!
Haha it don't pass our door but there is one that picks up wast from Launceston, now that is really nasty:eek:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I think a lot of us agree that dropping the grey descretely & most definitely OUT OF THE NONE MOTORHOMING PUBLIC VIEW is the best way to go about it.
I was at a farm britstop about a year ago, parked between two nice late model m/homes when suddenly they both drove off in unison, grey taps wide open straight onto the road.
They left us sat in a 20ft puddle of grey water & effectively trapped in our van unless wellies were deployed !
It was a hot day & scores of people were milling about, I was so embarrassed to be included in such an apparently rude & selfish minority that I drove away shortly after.
Don't get me wrong, I never take my grey home either, & frankly there's more to worry about in life than a tank of grey water, but for gods sake at least dump it when no ones about(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I know lets have a "Gray waste team" many who have commented on this thread could do the job.... they could monitor ALL MH'ers and report them to the local council and local police whom would of course say "GET A LIFE"

There are worse things in life people than worrying about someone's gray waste.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Over the years I suppose I've let a few ton of grey dribble onto the highway, never enough to leave a trail you could follow, but a drip, drip. That said I have never left a rally field or a campsite with the tap open, that takes a particular type of prat. If I'm on a rally field that is unlikely to have anyone pitched on it in the near future, I'm happy to to let it go under my van, but I would never let grey out on a proper site pitch, that takes a particular type of lazy selfish prat. ;)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Well, is it Grey Waste or is it Gray Waste?

Which is right?

There's only one way to find out...................................................................................:boxing:

:cooler:

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
When we were caravanning and used a WasteMaster to collect grey waste, I was appalled at the smell that was occasionally produced when in a hot climate. Ours was predominantly shower and washing waste (no, we do not pee or anything else in our shower!) and washing up water, although with heavy soiling from greasy or heavily tomato based meals I would use the on site facilities. Converting to motorhoming, I have assumed that this will be the case with the grey waste holding tank and therefore would NEVER allow the contents to pour out as we drive off. Naturally, if we have just used an emptying point we leave the drain open so a the dregs may trickle out, but its never much. I have often been asked on sites to dispose of grey waste in the hedgerows, it doesn't do any harm at all, but would NEVER let it contaminate a pitch. Essentially we need to keep a sense of proportion (it's not nuclear, radioactive waste for God's sake) but we also need to be considerate of other campers/road-users. Its not hard, is it???

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Well, is it Grey Waste or is it Gray Waste?

Which is right?

There's only one way to find out...................................................................................:boxing:

'Grey' if you are speaking the Queen's English, and 'gray' if you are of the American persuasion.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
'Grey' if you are speaking the Queen's English, and 'gray' if you are of the American persuasion.

Fair point, so if your in a Brit Box it's Grey, in Yank RV it's Gray and if it's a Euro Box it's Gris, or Grau.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back