Drive Off With Grey Waste Drain Tap Open Why? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We walk alongside the River Avon every day near Bath. There is a sewage treatment works about two fields away from the river, and every time there is a stink from the works (including s--t flies buzzing around,) invariably the day after there is scum on the river near a big outlet pipe which is embedded in the riverside bank and the all pervading stink that goes with it is clearly fecal in origin. This seems to be no coincidence - s--t farm overloading = dumping of s-t into the river. No one is doing anything about that it seems........ That has to be much worse than grey waste going down a drain, surely?
This is happening all over the UK but as usual the government agencies are ignoring it and covering it up. Really does put a bit of grey waste into perspective. And if you use toilet roll you are very much part of the pollution problem.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If you can't get your van to a stank..........where would you dispose of your grey waste?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you can't get your van to a stank..........where would you dispose of your grey waste?

If the hedgeback is looking a bit dry you could lob a couple of bucket loads in there, if I come home with some in the tank it goes in our hedge and its still alive and doesn't smell.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Grey water is even good for the garden put it on your beans , keeps aphids off.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have always advocated, the leaving open of the grey waste tap, at all times.
If you don't store it, it don't smell.
One of the many routes to MH happiness.

Caravans don't have waste tanks or taps, sorted.

:cooler:
Presumably someone who washes up and showers or washes in their motorhome, and who leaves the waste open at all times, thinks others have no objection when using the vacated pitch, to placing their table chairs to whatever in other peoples bathing water, old soap suds and fats and deposits from washing up. They may be surprised to learn that some people might very well object to that.

Throwing a bucket or two in a dry looking hedge is not going to cause anyone a problem, but leaving a waste tap open constantly to drain over a pitch may well do.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
It's so subjective, at a CL site we were on the farmer asked us to drop the grey waste, on the grass or in the hedge.
So I guess it depends on the circumstance, we always drop the grey in the correct waste disposal, so it went against the grain.
LC

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's so subjective, at a CL site we were on the farmer asked us to drop the grey waste, on the grass or in the hedge.
So I guess it depends on the circumstance, we always drop the grey in the correct waste disposal, so it went against the grain.
LC
As a kid my parents used to chuck the washing up water onto the garden. What's the difference ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why? because they don't care a fig about anyone else driving behind them. Grey water contains soap, water evaporates but soap just makes the road slippery and dangerous.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
why? because they don't care a fig about anyone else driving behind them. Grey water contains soap, water evaporates but soap just makes the road slippery and dangerous.
The whole tank probably contains less than a spoonful of soap. Hardly an oil slick.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
when constantly drained along the same stretch of road it makes a difference. use a grass filter to drain on site if there is no dump then close the drain cock before leaving and dispose of the grass filter in the bin.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
As a kid my parents used to chuck the washing up water onto the garden. What's the difference ?
Yep your right! Is the worry that others have something other than soap in the grey waste.? So what is in your grey waste?
Ours is just soap, oh and tea! I am with you really,
LC

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
you and I need to have words Sandra, almost without exception those 'stanks' whatever that really translates to in English :D:D, will almost certainly drain straight to the nearest stream :mad:
The layby drains do not drop into the nearest stream as the high chance of engine oils fuel and other dropping would pollute the stream far more than just water, there are oil traps to stop noxious materials and the water is discharged after those traps.. a load of rain washes the muck and oil down the drain a bit of detergent would not matter.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Perhaps its not so much as whats in it, its where you dump it and expect others to sit in it, died soap scum and fat from washing up is not nice to sit in or around.

Hedge, probably ok in most instances, grass on pitch I would suggest not.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The layby drains do not drop into the nearest stream as the high chance of engine oils fuel and other dropping would pollute the stream far more than just water, there are oil traps to stop noxious materials and the water is discharged after those traps.. a load of rain washes the muck and oil down the drain a bit of detergent would not matter.
For the record It is ILLEGAL to dump grey waste down a layby or roadside drain.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Presumably someone who washes up and showers or washes in their motorhome, and who leaves the waste open at all times, thinks others have no objection when using the vacated pitch, to placing their table chairs to whatever in other peoples bathing water, old soap suds and fats and deposits from washing up. They may be surprised to learn that some people might very well object to that.

Throwing a bucket or two in a dry looking hedge is not going to cause anyone a problem, but leaving a waste tap open constantly to drain over a pitch may well do.

Firstly, all food and fat deposits are removed from plates and crockery with kitchen towel and placed in the bin before washing. (Don't want anything that may smell later anywhere near my pipework)

Secondly, why use a campsite and then not use the facilities that your paying for. (I don't shower in the van)

Thirdly, I may clean my teeth, but for washing, see above.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Firstly, all food and fat deposits are removed from plates and crockery with kitchen towel and placed in the bin before washing. (Don't want anything that may smell later anywhere near my pipework)

Secondly, why use a campsite and then not use the facilities that your paying for. (I don't shower in the van)

Thirdly, I may clean my teeth, but for washing, see above.

I doubt that everyone applies your high standards. Or adopts you practices. Many use their Motorhomes showers As previous threads have shown. So as a general rule I don't advocate everyone leave their waste valve open to drain onto a pitch someone else will use after them. Why not use the facilities, as you said, you are paying for, the Motorhomes service point

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
No Excuses.
Not legal
Not necessary (use a grass filter on site)
Smells awful
leaves food detritus that attracts birds and rodents onto the road
Causes the general public to hate motorhomes and treat us all as gypsies
Gives local authorities leverage to condemn motorhome usage/parking and provide opposition to CL applications etc.
In short it is an anti social and disgusting habit. Where it can be seen.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
No Excuses.
Not legal
Not necessary (use a grass filter on site)
Smells awful
leaves food detritus that attracts birds and rodents onto the road
Causes the general public to hate motorhomes and treat us all as gypsies
Gives local authorities leverage to condemn motorhome usage/parking and provide opposition to CL applications etc.
In short it is an anti social and disgusting habit. Where it can be seen.
It appears to be OK for famers to dump acres of mud and cattle faecal matter on the roads as long as they put up a warning sign......so a little bit of soapy water and the odd bit of food is not going to make any difference.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So we are all agreed then, all that needs to be done is for those who dump grey water on a pitch or leave their waste taps open on a pitch simply need to have a sign ( purchased from reception)in their window saying they are doing so. Then, when they leave they just place the sign over the pitch marker so the next potential user can move on.:)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
So we are all agreed then, all that needs to be done is for those who dump grey water on a pitch or leave their waste taps open on a pitch simply need to have a sign ( purchased from reception)in their window saying they are doing so. Then, when they leave they just place the sign over the pitch marker so the next potential user can move on.:)
Many farmers dont even bother with a sign....in fact one farmer who used to be nearby to me regularly had a stream of cattle shit being piped across the road into a nearby ditch seemingly with impunity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back