Drive away Awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by kickstart, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kickstart

kickstart Funster

We are looking to buy a drive away awning in the next week,plenty on fleabay but thought I'd ask if any body has any suggestions ?

2. BgClick

BgClick Funster

Im still new to motor homing so forgive me if this is a stupid question....

I get the drive away part but how do you arrive so that the awning is snuggled against the MH?

3. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Very impressed with our new awning, a Kyham Motordome Excelsior. Colin can pitch it and bring it down by himself while I doing other things, namely getting the wine open!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Simples, put a couple of tent pegs in the ground close up to the front tyres at the side, when you drive or reverse back on to the pitch and you are back level with the pegs, your awning should attach again.

5. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

The Kyham range is probably one of the best makes. They really can be put up by one person, in a short space of time. But they aren't cheap. Here's a vid of someone putting up a campervan version:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbXT2N1l9c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbXT2N1l9c[/ame]

6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We have the Khyam screenhouse ( http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342 ) that has surprised us at times, its been up it some really bad weather, as many have seen when we used it as our marshalls tent, great bit of kit and so quick and easy to put up. :thumb: Bob.

7. 54mud

54mud

I have a Khyam Motordome Excelsior for sale. Surplus to my requirements now I have a Fiamma Privacy room. PM me.

8. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Just for interest 54mud, I sold my motordome 780 plus a few weeks ago. Got it couriered from N. Wales to the buyer in the Luton area for about £40 including insurance. It was two packages and quite heavy/bulky that weighed 33kg's in total. Yours will be a lot lighter.

Used www.interparcel.com

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We used to use a Khyam Motordome Excelsior with our previous van. Our son uses it now with his camper van.

10. Kevc

Kevc Funster

54mud I have a Khyam Motordome Excelsior for sale. Surplus to my requirements now I have a Fiamma Privacy room. PM me.

54mud, I am currently trying to decide between a drive away awning or privacy room, without trying to hijack the thread, as you have obviously used both, what are the pros and cons of both please?

Thanks and take it easy

Kev

• Like Like x 1
  11. 54mud

54mud

The Kyham is good and strong, even in high winds and being able to drive off and leave it a bonus. I used it on my Land Rover Defender before it was converted to a Motorhome but now
    the awning rail is above the Fiamma (design fualt by me) so was hard to fit.
    So as I have a Fiamma I got the privacy room, as when we use it we don't drive off anywhere (festivals, Racing weekends etc) It does seem more delicate
    Both good and not too bad to put up. I would still use the Kyham if I could fit it to my Defender easier, its just to high. On another van it should be alot easier.
    Hope this helps a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi 54mud,
    Just dropped you a PM.
    Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

with the khyam motordome, there is an optional kit, which I consider essential kit, that allows you to attach the driveaway shroud to the front rail of the fiamma awning. fitting is easy, as you just wind the fiamma out about 3ft so it drops down feed in the adapter then connect awning and wind back in.
    sounds complicated but takes under 1 minute to connect or detach the awning to allow you to drive off/on pitch

the fiamma privacy room is just sides and a front for the canopy and you need to drop it completely to drive away. i have also seen a few privacy rooms damaged by the wind unlike the khyam motordomes which are excellent. have had both but rarely used the privacy room for these reasons

• Like Like x 2