May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a drive-away awning at some point in the future for our 2014 Bessacarr 484, but after reading quite a few reviews and watching too many YouTube demos, I still haven't chosen one.
The main problem is that having seen the various dimensions from firms such as Vango, Khyam and Movelite for the modest awning I would like, they all seem to be just over 3m square. Now, I have measured the outside of the Bessacarr a few times and cannot see how any of these awnings could be used without it enclosing the boiler vent -which is only about 2.9m from the front of the Fiamma wind-out awning.
Am I missing something? Or is it really OK to have a vent inside the awning? Can anybody enlighten me, or is there an awning type especially suitable for the Bessacarr 484?
Regards
Ian

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We bought a drive away awning, thought what a good idea at the time. Its been used once since new. I now think if you need a d,a,a, then buy a caravan. If you want to try one you can have mine for £ 100, then it might get a second use.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
is it really OK to have a vent inside the awning?

to address your question..

awnings are not sealed tight to the van, and if you don't fit a skirt, plenty of natural draft to supply the boiler and remove any flue gasses ... they are at best draughty..

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Jim and Phil, very useful thoughts. I'll keep on looking then..........
Ian

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you have the fridge vent inside an awning during hot weather the heat from the vents can make the awning warmer and reduces efficiency of the fridge. Add the exhaust from the heater and your even warmer. I would advise the use of a carbon monoxide detector.
My thoughts on drive away awnings are that they are a lot of hassle getting back into after moving and if you leave them you cant leave much in them as everyone knows you are away.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Jezport,
Thankfully the only vent on the awning side is from the boiler, so fridge is OK. But definite food for thought as I didn't get into the world of Motorhomes to invite extra hassle!
Ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a drive-away awning at some point in the future for our 2014 Bessacarr 484, but after reading quite a few reviews and watching too many YouTube demos, I still haven't chosen one.
The main problem is that having seen the various dimensions from firms such as Vango, Khyam and Movelite for the modest awning I would like, they all seem to be just over 3m square. Now, I have measured the outside of the Bessacarr a few times and cannot see how any of these awnings could be used without it enclosing the boiler vent -which is only about 2.9m from the front of the Fiamma wind-out awning.
Am I missing something? Or is it really OK to have a vent inside the awning? Can anybody enlighten me, or is there an awning type especially suitable for the Bessacarr 484?
Regards
Ian
You'll find that the 'tunnel' part that you attach to the MH is not as wide as the actual DA awning itself as the size measurements given are at ground level and the awnings taper inwards up to the top. The side of the tunnel part can easily be moved in/outwards to allow for the vent to be kept clear if you wish.

I've got a very, very nice DA awning for sale at the moment ... high quality (which is why we bought it) but unfortunately due to our constant roaming and using mainly aires is unlikely ever to be used, hence the sale.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hi MinxyGirl,
Thanks for the advice and for the offer of the Sunncamp awning. I think we might wait a while though until we actually need one, as don't think we will venture abroad this year. But off to York tomorrow so may need to take our passports after all! (y)
Ian

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We bought a brand new Khyam drive away awning.
Although it added additional living space to our camper van, I don't think I'd buy one again.
It had a skirt hood which connected it to the roof gutter channel via a figure of eight plastic connector.
Whenever we went out in the van, it was a chore on return getting the van positioned so the hood would fit as well as before we went out. We ended up ripping it once with the side sliding door.
We had to mark where the wheels went to ensure we got it lined up to avoid the hood sagging and flapping or being too far away in that the hood was too taught.
Next, we went out for the day and returned to find the poles had really bent with the wind.
Fortunately, it was well pegged and guy roped down.
Liaising with Khyam for spare parts was painful.

My brother bought a Vango Air drive away awning and although it was slightly smaller than our Khyam, I was surprised how stable it was.

We sold ours when we sold the camper van.
If I was doing it all again, I'd buy an event shelter with side panels and just park my camper van as near to it as possible.
But then, I wouldn't be sleeping in it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back