Drive away awning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Loscoe Smith, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Loscoe Smith

Loscoe Smith Funster

Hi Guys!

as a relative newbie to the world of MH & a recently paid up subscriber to this website.. I hoped you may be able to offer us some advice...

Having just collected a Swift 686 Escape - we are looking to buy a drive-away awning. Any recommendations, do's or don'ts?? Do I really need a stand alone?

Also, any advice on the best size... It's just really for when our Grandson comes with us, a 2 year old has twice as much "stuff" as me! But it would be great if it could offer some sleeping privacy too!

Thanks

2. sedge

sedge Funster

It all depends how you are going to use your MoHo ....

If you intend to spend most of your time on sites, so that each time you want to go out and drive somewhere you would have to dismantle and pack away completely, then a drive-away makes more sense than not. If however you are only going for a few days, or stay in places where you won't need to drive, then it's an unnecessary expense.

If you intend to tour Europe staying majorly on Aires, then on the vast majority you can't erect awnings anyway.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If you give us a ring on 01-580-883062 as a Swift Escape dealer we can give to you the best advice and supply what you need plus you will get Funsters Discount as well :thumb:

Peter

4. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

Hi, We were determined not to have any awning. Until our teenage grandkids decided they want to return to going with us this year. We had a good look at the Harrogate show last Friday and settled on the Vango Air Kela tall for our Bolero. We ordered from John's Cross on line late on Saturday and it arrived today. Just put it up to check and we are delighted. Took 15mins and next time will be under 10mins. John' Cross website has full details and a funster discount.
    Cheers
    Bernie:Smile:

P.S. Big thanks to John's Cross for being great to deal with and super service:thumb:

5. pneumatician

pneumatician Read Only Funster

We have owned a Drive away Awning since starting some 12 yrs ago. So far they have all been like conventional frame tents bu equip with the connection tunnel.
    If we pitch for just two nights then we use the roll out and a windbreak. Three nights or more on one site and we use the full awning. It takes about an hour to get it erected and the furniture Kitchen gear etc ready for use. ( I have never cooked inside the van ).
    Probably being ex proper campers we much prefer to eat and relax in the awning temperature permitting.
    Drive away advantages are pretty obvious, when you want to go somewhere in the van you just chuck everything inside the waning Zip up and away you go.
    Realignment is easy ( I can get to within 25mm) its all depends on the colour of string you use :)

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

take a look at the khyam motordome. far superior to other driveaway awnings as the lightweight frame stays attached to the flysheet. this allows you to assemble the awning and have it pegged out within 5 minutes. you can choose optional sleeping pods or a decent 3m square floorspace. brilliant if you want to set up at a site for touring and leave chairs etc behind. because it is quick errect, it allows you to quickly drop the awning and move to another site without worrying how long it takes etc

ours has been up in strong winds that damaged other awnings on site but has survived totally unscathed. it may not be the cheapest but its the best we have owned over many many years

7. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We just have a wind out jobby. Good enough for us.

I'm a proper 'ard norvener, so don't need any sides :Laughing:

8. TheBig1

a windout canopy is great to keep the sun off or a bit of rain, but anything more than a light breeze can damage them or if not strapped down throw them over the van. hardly ideal to sleep under

9. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We only use ours to keep the rain off. Goes back at night.

And it's great on wet trackdays. Can keep me and the bike dry :Smile:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  10. 54mud

54mud

I have a Kyham Motordome Excelsior for sale. It is no longer needed as it was used on my Defender before the conversion and we have a Fiamma with privacy room now.
    I'm in Stone Staffs so not far from Derbyshire, is you want to come and look and see if it fits.

11. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Cue the Trikeman's photo.
    :Laughing:
    If you want to see a Khyam Motordome Excelsior like the one for sale above - here is one, don't hesitate, they can be difficult to get and worth every penny.
    Without a doubt they are fantastic, from pulling up to sitting in it ,around 5 mins once you have the hang of it - I catch hold of the centre 'pod' and with the flick of the wrist it's up and attached, quite literally.

Second Motordome we've had and wouldn't have anything else. Bad weather not an issue and they are MASSIVE when up. Highly recommended as mentioned in the Big1 reply.
    :thumb: Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Aikidomo

Aikidomo Read Only Funster

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wyq2j4gTQI"]Vango AirAway? Awning - YouTube[/ame]
    Well worth a look I have one:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. mentaliss

mentaliss

I my opinion a Drive Away awning tent is perfect choice (especially the new type inflatable) where you wish to do local touring from your base camp using your MH but there lies the 'flaw' of the MH, touring with an MH that's over 6 mtrs in length its very difficult to manoeuvre such a vehicle around narrow roads and villages let alone finding somewhere to park!! Sorry I diversify, a Privacy Room is a very good investment but only where you intend to camp for more than 2-3weeks + without moving your MH

14. Yorick

Yorick Funster

It's surprising how many folk like enclosed awnings.

But, IMHO, I would hate to have one. I love being 'outside' and would feel enclosed in a full awning.

But each to their own :Smile:

15. Loscoe Smith

Loscoe Smith Funster

Thank you for all your help. I think we need to try and work out exactly what we will use it for... Going to Peterborough, so hoping to have more of an idea after a good look round there. Then 54mud if your Khyam Motordome Excelsior seems a fit, I'll be in touch.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. paul rimmer

paul rimmer Funster

Newbies
    We are thinking about buying a drive away. Looked at an inflatable type a vango. I always think frame ones will be a pain to put up, especially in a wind. But are they worth the extra money? Not cheap at £479.

17. westy77

westy77 Funster

We have a Khyam Classic that we used with our VW T3. They are great drive away awnings, the quick erect system is very good. I could have ours up, attached to the van and ready to peg in five minutes on my own. :Smile:

18. TheBig1

the frame on the khyam stays attached and is hinged so its simplicity itself to assemble and take down. The air beam awnings look good, but i do wonder if they will get punctures after a while, especially when used several times in strong winds. all i know is that i would rather replace a damage pole or joint than have puncture repair patches all over the place

19. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I have just ordered a Vango Kela Air Tall from Johns Cross, with the 10% discount :thumb::thumb: I feel I have a good deal, dont think i will get it in time for the weekend though as we are going up to the lakes.

20. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

Just bought a vango kela but haven't really had it up in anger yet.went away a couple of weekends ago but it was blowing a gale?Then erected it but not attached to the van this week.Took about 15 minutes to put up and it looked really great.took the pre fitted bedroom out and it was certainly spacious enough fot table etc.Expensive but initial impressions are very good.I have always hated putting awnings up but may have finally found peace.I didn't swear once which didn't go unnoticed by the better half.She even stopped reminding me how much I had blown on another b......dy awning!!!

• Like Like x 1