Drive away awning????

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jaygee, May 5, 2010.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Thinking of getting a drive away awning for those rare ocasions when familly come with us & don't want to sleep in the van, also would be good to store items if we go out for the day, although I have to say it would probably not be put up regually!!!!!
    Has anyone any recomendations? We have a Hymer 1996 model and don't want to spend a fortune as I said it probably wont get much use.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Probably once :Smile:

I don't recall ever seeing one standing alone.

A much simpler option would be a tent. Probably more saleable once you say "never again".

3. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Ah, but wouldn't you get charged an extra pitch fee for the tent?

I'm thinking of going down the same route with an awning, Jaygee, and am going to have a look at the Malvern Show in August.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Once :BigGrin:

5. Fatalhud

Fatalhud Read Only Funster

6. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I too have a Movelite which I have used a couple of times. A pain in the proverbial but does keep your pitch when you go off in the van for the day. Also enables cooking outside (we have a small van) when the weather is poor. The biggest problem is securing the "tunnel" during squally weather.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We also have the Movelite XL ..great in winter to store wet gear and to keep icy blasts at bay when the hab door is opened..

For a snug fit and to keep it tight it needs an awning rail on the van which is easy to do, or attached to the Fiamma pull out awning, I believe there is a figure 8 sliding plastic rail for that purpose.

It is well made and after a bit of practice is easy to errect..

Here is ours during winter ..

[​IMG]

8. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Does this apply to changing/toilet tents as well?

I've been thinking of getting one to store a chair, grey waste tank, etc. in while I drive away for the day. Maybe I should get a toy wigwam instead? :BigGrin:

9. bevo

bevo Read Only Funster

drive away awning

i have a riversway mobile 300 drive away awning bought from (riverswayleisure.co.uk)
    it's an exellent awning and we have used it loads of times.
    it's made for riversway by royal.
    you can buy drive away awning kits to fit for £12:99.
    the awnings cost £146:99 but we bought ours in a sale for £99:99.

if the site your on charges for awnings then you pay if not you don't
    good luck

10. lorger

lorger Funster

We also have the movelite and we have left it standing on site sometimes if abroad and the pitch is big enough we erect it a few feet from the MH and just roll the tunnel section away. This way we can still use it for table and chairs and easy to leave. We used it this weekend in Perth and came in really handy as it was a nice day but cold breeze so ideal for sitting in eating the bbq.

Also very handy if you want to just sit and read while rest are in MH.

Gerry

11. aba

aba

seen a movelite xl for sale in classifieds in mays MMM magazine bout £50 if i remember correctly.

12. sundancekid

sundancekid Read Only Funster

Hi All

To those who have a Movelight, do you need adrive away kit, or does it just hook into an awning rail on the M/H?

13. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Sundance

No you dont need a drive away kit it comes with guy ropes you throw over the roof of the motorhome and peg in when driving away just slack them off and pull over roof.

You can buy an awning rail that the tunnel part will slide on to if you dont want to use the guy ropes we dont have this.

Gerry

14. Fatalhud

Fatalhud Read Only Funster

I use the Driveaway awing adaptor
    I don't like the idea of straps flapping and chafing my van

The kit slots into the front rail of your wind out awning,
    I find it easier to roll the awning out part way so that it is lower, then connect the tunnel and wind it back in:thumb:

Alan H

15. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We have a Movelite 300-got it for half price on here a week before Caramarthen -used it there and it was great for blocking late afternoon cold wind :BigGrin: Taking it to France,and if we don't use it will offer it at 'Bring and Buy' But,I think we'll be using it a lot.

Mike.

16. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If your van has a fiamma or omnistor you buy the kit to fit the front channel, if you have no pullout awning you can buy a strip of awning rail, simple to put on your van and then get the attachment kit to fit it, you then also have the choice of using it attached to your van or as a freestanding unit,We attach to our van but have it so that the sides are tied back creating a walk in area with the top covered this gives our dog the option of going in the awning or being able to sit outside without having the awning access and side door open for it. Ours is the riverside 300

17. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I've used mine a few times but actually never attach it to the van..... I pull the van wind out awning out over the top of it....

In that event I suspect it becomes a tent and I have never yet been questioned or charged extra, so I think if you put a tent close enough to the van and wind your over awning out you can get away with a tent.

18. keith

keith Funster

We have 2, the larger one was used when we had a scooter, it fitted inside the awning.

The other is a smaller Mmovelite that I attach to the roll out as mentioned before. It can be left free-standing next to the MH with the tunnel tied back. 2 photos attached show both methods.

We hope to be at the Bring & Buy & will be offering them for sale. We haven't decided yet but the large one will definitely be going as we don't have a scooter now.

Attached Files:

19. Zepp

Zepp Funster

We have a Movelite XL only used it a couple of times but it’s ok however it will be up for sale soon as I can never be bothered to put it up lol

Paul and Lynne

20. royalequeen

royalequeen Read Only Funster

Awning For Hymer

I have just sold my Hymer, but still have the drivaway awning we used. It is a Harrison High top Deluxe with 1 Tall Annex and 1 regular. We found this was a godsend as you have the main area and two extra areas for storage or sleeping and this model stands in all weathers. I will be selling it for £350 if you are interested. It has only been used for 2 seasons and is in pristeen condition.Colur Burgandy and Sand.Really suits the Hymer.