Degsy

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Elldis 180
Exp
Being a newbie s to motorhoming ? We have a Elldis auto quest 180 could anyone recommend a
drive away awning which will fit this motorhome .

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'll get in before all the others, firstly make sure that you really really want/need one.
If you think you can't do without one then have a look on here:
http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/

Do you have a roll out awning already fitted, such as a Fiamma or Omnistor? If you dont then you will need some way of fixing an awning to the side of your motorhome suach as a rail that you can attach.

OP
OP
D

Degsy

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Elldis 180
Exp
Thanks for the advise I dohave a rollout awning . Just need to find the right awning
Regards Derek

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Agree with mack100.
Have a look on the web for used awnings. 'Only used once'?

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not answering your question either - as "newbies" use the MH for a while before deciding if you really need an awning. If you are ex-caravanners it may just be an automatic reaction to assume you need one. But if you do really need one, say to store a mobility scooter then the blow up (air) ones are good - but expensive.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
On our recent holiday in Udo, my wife mentioned one day that the caravan awnings were rather splendid things when it's cold or wet outside and one wishes to spend quality time 'outside' but protected from the cold and wet.

So we looked to see what other campers were doing and I looked on here for previous postings on the subject whilst my wife researched prices. Our findings are below:

1. Drive-away awnings are expensive when new.
2. There are many nearly-new ones for sale. Wonder why?...
3. Many have commented that the motorhome needs to be positioned PRECISELY where it was parked for the awning to successfully and neatly reattach.
4. The more seasoned motorhomists who prefer to drive their vans during their stay appear to prefer a totally stand-alone day tent. Like the drive-away awning, this offers much visibility and light yet can be pitched relatively anywhere and yet stil offers the same benefits as the attached product in the same footprint.
5. The awning may cover the fridge -freezer vents. In hot weather, the inside temperature of the awning may reduce the cooling ability of your fridge/freezer.
6. A day tent is considerably cheaper. Very considerably.

So, in our case, we're going to buy a good quality day tent (Khyam, possibly) that is pitched underneath our 4m long Omnistor roll-out awning as needed. Not every single time but only when it rains or is unseasonably cold outside. Something that lets in lots of natural light and is large enough to house our table and chairs.

The above is only my view. I'm not against the drive-away concept at all as it must work for many.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back