Drip Requires Condensation Advice

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Tootles, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Tootles

Tootles Funster

The only condensation I seem to be getting on cold mornings with the Hymer, is from the sloping front window over the luton. Seems a bit amateurish to just bung a towel there, and so has anyone developed a simple method to either stop the conden happening in the first place, or to catch said drips??
    Ta. :thumb:

2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

The secret to getting rid of condensation is better air circulation.
    Blown air heating or a fan,even just a few windows open on the first clasp.

Vlad

3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Done all that Vlad, and it works on all the other windows, However, it's just that one very high window, and I think only because it slopes, causing more of a problem.

4. Phill D

Phill D

hot air rises so thats probably where its hitting the cold window. perhaps some form of extra insulation on that window. prob have to be on the outside like a mini silver screen:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Employ a window licking nutter...there is one on here called paddy something :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  6. themogs

themogs Funster

:Smile:Hi Tootles :BigGrin:
    We only started M/Homing 2 years ago, and had same problem:cry:

An experienced M/Homer told us to get an EXTERNAL silver screen (preferably the genuine article, with a pull down bit for the daytime:RollEyes:), and it works a treat. NO condensation for us in the mornings now...job done.
    :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Thanks for that. How do you get to it, to fit the screen? I would need at least a nine foot ladder. Do you use the roof ladder, and walk across the top?

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think that's the answer to the main windscreen, not Dave's problem.

You would probably need to make (or have made) a bespoke external screen to fit the window. It could probably be fitted from the inside but would need something to keep it in place - maybe suckers like car windscreen frost covers or elastic fastened to both sides.

9. Phill D

Phill D

i think theres cross wires here, moggs was talking about his windscreen i think.

however, you could try an experiment with extra thick or a few layers of bubble wrap and fit it from the inside ( open window, put insulation on outside of window , secure with some large elacy bands, close window, see what happens. or am i just being silly:Doh: it has been known :Eeek:

10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Its a really stupid window, Phill, only accessible from the inside by lying on the luton, and its a fixed panel window, dosent open, however, the bubble wrap has given me an idea, making a fixed inside panel I can secure over it. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jackrussel

jackrussel Read Only Funster

condensation

You may like to do as I have done, buy a dehumidifier; true, only works on hookup or genny (240v), failing that, one of those crystal filled damp traps, which will use up crystals as a consumable. Could get expensive! Unless you only use them when its cold outside. Silver screen option good if you suss out how to get up to fit and remove it. Can you live with it left on all day- but obviously not on the move. My dehumiddy was bought from ebay, its a dessicant type, and gives warm air out to boot, so offers heat. Bit too warm for late summer cool evenings sometimes...but stays 100% dry inside, however cold out.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I never thought I would be the one to solve this. You get a really good sponge and mop it up. In other words you just live with it.

I know, I know, I should be pitching on Dragon's Den.

• Like Like x 1
  13. themogs

themogs Funster

We put ours on by using the small step we carry around with us...no problem.:thumb:
    But ours is a Ducato 130 and is easily done....but an Hymer ?? err.. not sure. :Sad:

14. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

As a first option you may like to try some radistor insulation - the silver sandwiched bubble wrap stuff. Not too expensive and easy to shape; plastic suckers to secure. You could double up the thickness to make more effective.

I actually use this to make sucure all my windows when stored; keeps prying eyes away and also protects expensive main screens from the sun.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Thought about a dehumid, but it would have to be fairly small.......In fact, can you give me the make and model of yours??? I like the warm air option. :thumb:

16. jackrussel

jackrussel Read Only Funster

dehumidifiers?

Tootles,, its very similar, but not identical to, this:-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERFUL-...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3a63e15de9

Mine was £169 IIRC, and is dark grey metallic colour. It does indeed do the business. Sometimes, I think the air is too dry, but, if set at a lower setting,(60% RH) does not quite remove it all, 40% may do it- I will be trying that in the next 2 weeks- but I don't have it on during the day, so the air can be quite moisture laden by bedtime. The 'laundry' setting does what it says on the tin, just be aware of the water level in the tank (tho' they autostop when full). Not too noisy either; if you can tolerate a fan, this shouldn't cause a problem. I used it in the house also, and with just as much success. Good kit!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

Only really got two choices :BigGrin: board over it or insulate it :BigGrin: if nothings done then it will keep condestating up causing damp problems --try putting a few layers of bubble wrap on it -I simply stuck some thermo/celotex board on ours -did not let light in but stopped condensation -simply took it off come sale time :Wink:
    terry

18. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

hats wat we used on our last van up in the lotion windows it worked a treat