Drinking Water...Contaminated?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bullrush, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bullrush

bullrush Read Only Funster

Over the last few months my drinking water has had an unpleasant tast to it. On inspection our water tank seems fine so is the problem in the pipework, I do clean the in line filter every 3 months. We now use bottled water for drinking. Has any other camper had the same problem or is this a regular thread.

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I never drink water from our tank so cant help sorry.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Couple of questions. What sort of unpleasant taste? What sort of in line filter?

I clean our system (tank and pipes) with Aquatabs (or equivalent) a couple of times a year - though in a recent thread it was mentioned that mains water should have enough in it to do the job anyway. Using cleaning tablets/fluids and water from bowsers can result in an unpleasant (bleachy/TCP) taste if not flushed through with mains water thoroughly afterwards.

We started using a water filter jug, last year, to remove any off flavours and that has been successful for us.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

we got a funny taste this year, sort of bleachy?. As this was on the first trip out this year after cleaning the tank, we started using bottled water which we found suprisingly cheap so we carried on using it and dont drink the on board tanked water at all now.

5. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

I must admit I have never cleaned out the water tank but I do use the vans I have had all year round and I have always used the water for drinking and thus far I have not experienced any problems.:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  6. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Never use our tank for drinking water, we carry a 5 litre water bottle with a handle on that we bought in a French supermarket and fill that directly from the tap instead.

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, one of the best things we have fitted to our van is a Nature Pure :thumb:

Yes they are expensive, we took a while and kept putting it off, and carried on buying bottled water.

But having fitted it over a year ago, and being in the van 10 months a year and the filters still going strong we will be fitting one in the next van we buy. :thumb:

We have the separate tap. :BigGrin: Bob.

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As I have never owned a new van I have never drank from the tank as I had no knowledge of what a previous owner had put in there :Eeek:.
    I recently invested in the Nature Pure system, and can say although expensive it works and saves having to carry 5 litre water cans around in the shower for drinking :thumb:.
    I cant enjoy my G&T or Pastis without ice and am now able to make ice directly from the Nature Pure tap :BigGrin:.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

By 'eck, Dave. Never realised they were that good. We still need a freezer to make ice in the house :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

At around 200 quid a go..........I expected it to tell me next weeks lottery numbers :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  11. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Read Only Funster

We've lived on our boat for about 5 years now and in the begining had a bad taste and smell to the water. I put it down to the boat being new and the tank and pipes tainting the water.

I realised months later it was coming from the hose i use to fill up with, so i bought 10 metres of food grade hose and bingo, never even cleaned the tank in 5 years and its still fine.

We use 250 litres avery 12 days or so. I always empty the lot if we leave the boat for anything over a week,

Hope thats of use

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I drink a reasonable amount of tap water at home, and when we travel around in the van I notice different tastes in water from other sources. Same with hot drinks too.

Doesn't matter whether the local water has come out of the van tank, or from a plastic bottle used to collect it from a site tap. (only usually consume water from the tank if it's been boiled first - coffee or cooking veg etc).

Not saying there's anything wrong with the water, just tastes different in different parts of the country - and the same around France too. :thumb:

Mike

13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

We use the same stuff to sterilise the whole caboodel, fresh tank to waste tank, it's the Steriliser I use to clean my home brew bottles. At £1 a pop from Wilkies value for money

14. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

We used to carry 5L bottles when we had a caravan, now we have a 200L tank I vowed never to do it again, we use a filter jug and its been brilliant, I just change the filter every 3 months no water taint and no bad tums:thumb:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

never had a problem with our tap water...i drink beer instead :Laughing:

seriously though, we also have a nature pure filter system, removed from our old eurobox and refitted in the RV, and it was worth every penny....and the problems fitting it to american pipework.

water can be sourced from anywhere, rivers, ditch's, horse troughs, even pee in it if you feel the need, and it comes out cleaner than mains water.

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I get that after using Puriclean 2/3 times a year. It can take quite a few tankfuls of water to get rid of it.