Drinking in Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

M

mani01

Deleted User
hi all,

Do any of you have opinions on drinking alcohol in a motorhome. the uk law says that being in possession of keys to the vehicle and being over the limit is an offence if i'm on public highways, does that apply if i'm parked up in a layby or would i need to be on private land to enable me to open a bottle of wine and go over the drink/drive limit ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi all,

Do any of you have opinions on drinking alcohol in a motorhome. the uk law says that being in possession of keys to the vehicle and being over the limit is an offence if i'm on public highways, does that apply if i'm parked up in a layby or would i need to be on private land to enable me to open a bottle of wine and go over the drink/drive limit ?

We've always stayed on sites or other private land but I should have thought that if there is any risk of your being moved on from where you are parked, the best idea would be not to drink.

Best arrangement is like mine - I drink and Jill drives :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As far as I know if you are wildcamping in a public place, you are over the limit and you have the keys with you then you are technically "Drunk In Charge" If you are in your PJ's then your intention is probably plain. But that may depend upon a policeman being reasonable which in some areas is rare. I think the drunk in charge rule is one of those horrible crimes where the time honoured "innocent until proven guilty" is thrown out of the window and you are guilty if a policeman says so and its up to you to prove your were not going to drive.

My advice, if you are parked in a public place stay under the limit, you might need to move or be moved on, and if you are in the drivers seat, even in your PJ's then you are probably going to be nicked:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2escapees

Deleted User
It will be the least of my worries when we enter Iran in May as the warning is it is a criminal offence to try to import any alcohol or pork and the vehicle will be extensively searched to find and contraband! When we entered Libya in 2006 the searches took 4 hours for our small convoy!

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
i remember somebody i knew years ago had to much to drink went back to his car late at night which was parked in a tesco car park got on the back seat and went to sleep ,got woken up 2 in the morning by police bagged and nicked

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i remember somebody i knew years ago had to much to drink went back to his car late at night which was parked in a tesco car park got on the back seat and went to sleep ,got woken up 2 in the morning by police bagged and nicked

Would they rather he had driven Home?:Angry:

I guess the thinking there was, if they were that bad, they would have awoken/been awoken early in the morning and driven while still over the legal limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When we entered Libya in 2006 the searches took 4 hours for our small convoy!

Thats not bad going then.

By comparison it took three hours of intensive and highly intrusive questions from HMRC when returning back to UK via Dover Port, simply because I smoke rolling tobacco. As a single male smoker travelling alone you are prime pickings for the 'goonies'. As for booze, you can bring truckfuls of the damn stuff in. They aren't interested in that.....just tobacco.

As for exiting the UK.....i'm regularly stopped and questioned to where i am going, what the purpose of my journey is for, do i work, what my employment is, and how much cash i am carrying. Not only am I a born 'n bred citizen of this god forsaken country, I carry a full UK passport and have no criminal convictions or previous history.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi you could turn the driving seat round put a tv on it as well as your jim jams.then they no you are not intending to drive
dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back