Drilling hole in roof for winegard dish (1 Viewer)

Kiwibrit

Free Member
Mar 12, 2014
Auckland NZ
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
Bit nervous about the drilling the hole saga for the sat dish wind up mechanism. Can I choose any clear central space on the roof or do I need to looking for a stud for some of the plate screws to hit, do I drill outside in or inside out? It's a sprinter over cab, any pointers would be great:Smile:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It appears to be a manual wind-up dish so you're limited by the position of the internal handle / cable entry to a convenient place to hide it - usually the wardrobe. Drill from the outside using a hole saw. It's often helpful to drill a small pilot hole first and to put masking tape over the place to be drilled. If the roof is aluminium then when you come to screw it down don't drill holes for the screws: either allow each screw to make its own hole or, if that proves to be too difficult, punch a small pilot hole for each screw using a thin, sharp, punch and hammer. An old dart head is ideal. Doing this preserves as much aluminium as possible around the screw thread and offers a stronger fix than if the holes are drilled. If the roff is GRP then drill a small pilot hole for each screw.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Had a look at your sat dish, is this the one.. ?

Broken Link Removed

If your mounting onto the original panel van metal roof, I'd be looking for the roof cross member to fix at least two or three of the base fixing screws ..otherwise the roof may flex both when winding up and down, not a big issue , but if windy may lose the sat signal..

Frankly, the only sure way is to look under the roof lining... then decide on the best place .. it goes without say, you don't want to drill through electrical wiring ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back