mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have been talking a lot recently, Ms Tigger and I about the future.

Our youngest is 8 and we think by the time she is 18 we will have had enough of working for a living, plus with any luck and a lot of hard work our business will be able to stand on its own 2 feet.. so we dream that we will be able to head off around Europe in a decent sized A class or coach built for 6 months at a time between the boys birthdays in April and the youngest girls birthday in October.

Then, a few years later, assuming things go as planned, we dream the grandkids will be here and we can plan a year or so without any births deaths or marriages and overland to Australia in a larger A class or even a yank.

These are dreams but they are the dreams we are aiming at. They are the target.

What are your dreams?

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Would love to go back to India again, visit Iceland, Zanzibar, South America .......................

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
when I started my business 30yrs ago I had dreams of retiring at 50,im now 59 and working as hard and as many hours as ever:eek: just waiting to see what this year has in store:rolleyes:
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Your dream is our dream but from the 15th May it is reality when we set off for our 'Gap Year' 1st Grandchild landed last Summer so if we do not go now will we ever. So Europe here we come, Norway and beyond. You should never wish your life away but in-between have great adventures with the kids

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
when I started my business 30yrs ago I had dreams of retiring at 50,im now 59 and working as hard and as many hours as ever:eek: just waiting to see what this year has in store:rolleyes:
Brian & Jo

When I started my business, exactly 30 years ago (1st April), I never gave retiring a though, now I never think of anything else. Sometimes I think it's just having the cherries to do it. Moving from a "comfortable" income to a"fixed" income leaves me feeling exposed. The other viewpoint is "what the hell" you only come this way once.......let me think about it a little longer :unsure:

Brian

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Your dream is our dream but from the 15th May it is reality when we set off for our 'Gap Year' 1st Grandchild landed last Summer so if we do not go now will we ever. So Europe here we come, Norway and beyond. You should never wish your life away but in-between have great adventures with the kids

Our kids are not the adventurous types really.. although getting more so as they grow. The issue really used to be with 4 kids leaving the house costs a weeks wages.. now it's so hard finding things to do with them they are interested. Me and Ms T were brought up being dragged round stuff and don't want to do that with our kids. We do a week on a Spanish island every year and try and get a week away with them in the summer hols (although only 2 of them are interested in that now). Eldest boy (14) has expressed an interest in joining us on our weekend excursions over the channel but the other 3 have made it clear they aren't interested at all.

We aren't wishing our lives away and love how our life is now but both if us need a dream to drive for otherwise work and homemaking just become binding.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I have none.

Neither do I !
Live for for today for you know not what tomorrow will bring .
I've known too many people who have saved and planed for a future that they're not here for!
Don't get me wrong dreams are a good escape and something to aim for,however don't put off what you could do today until tomorrow.

Vlad.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Neither do I !
Live for for today for you know not what tomorrow will bring .
I've known too many people who have saved and planed for a future that they're not here for!
Don't get me wrong dreams are a good escape and something to aim for,however don't put off what you could do today until tomorrow.

Vlad.

I agree.. however our dream is not to drag 4 teenagers round Europe but to explle with the freedom that will be ours once those 4 teenagers have been dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood. The dream relies on them being capable and independent. Right now our job is to make that happen and out commitment is to ensure to the best of our ability the futures of our offspring.

Once they all turn 18 though we're off lol

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Live your dreams to the fullest,without hurting anyone,getting on a bit,i remember departed mates dreams,"One day... " Only to fall short of that day in their lives. We are living our dream in Portugal,warm days through the winter,nice house and the super Portugues people,friendly and helpfull,with a laid back lifestyle,where we are up in the northern area.
Go ON !!. Do it,while ever you have your two hands,you will NEVER starve.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Never happen, but a good plan.

Brian

Thanks for the optimism lol.

I have a nagging suspicion that #1 daughter will be popping grandkids before baby girl hits 18 and who knows what that will do to plans. As long as the birthdays are between April and October we will be fine.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks for the optimism lol.

I have a nagging suspicion that #1 daughter will be popping grandkids before baby girl hits 18 and who knows what that will do to plans. As long as the birthdays are between April and October we will be fine.

Trust me, with 3 girls (now 34 to 27). The years between 17 to 19 were the hardest (human nature). Seeking independence, boys, nightclubs, university, the whole gambit.

You need to make your own space in life, but with four (as in your case), it’s going to be difficult. The term “snowball in hell” comes to mind.

But don’t fret, the grandkids make it all worth while, as they drag you around the garden and use you as a human punch bag.

Now, I’ve just laid your life out before you………say thank you Brian

Brian

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Now, I’ve just laid your life out before you………say thank you Brian

Thanks a bundle. .

all the kids are individual. They all have different needs and calls on us. Who knows what our youngest will be like as a teen. Our oldest at 17 though is making us proud. After a tough time at secondary school she is studying hard at college and working to earn pin money as well as saving for her future. She has ambition and drive and is growing as a person every day.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks a bundle. .

all the kids are individual. They all have different needs and calls on us. Who knows what our youngest will be like as a teen. Our oldest at 17 though is making us proud. After a tough time at secondary school she is studying hard at college and working to earn pin money as well as saving for her future. She has ambition and drive and is growing as a person every day.

Sounds good, as you say, don't wish your life away, it will do that all on it's own.

My youngest in NZ year before last:

http://vid24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/argoncorp/Mobile Uploads/Angelamp4_zpsdc6b529d.mp4

More bottle than me.

Brian

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
At 51 I'm content with my lot. Happy with my Free time , lifestyle , family life , husband , kids. Content with the way life's heading. As for a plan or dream.
I just hope that as we get older we stay fit and healthy enough to be able to enjoy our retirement, that's my wish . I know I certainly feel healthier , since doing the funster 5/2 diet.
I have a healthy 23 BMI and hardly drink anymore. So that's a good thing to keep up with as I get older.
Ralphs building "Pug" now , whilst we have a healthy income coming in. That way we get a pvc of quality and build , just how we want it.
Hopefully he will last us , being a brand new van, to become what people call old vans on here , a classic ! ;)
He's also going to scale down with the business as our son takes over. Keeping his hand in to draw a wage. Then we'll travel more, than we do now.
We've 3 kids 2x18, 1x20. So with them all working full time , they have their own agenda. Although they do still allow us to be seen with them , the odd weekend , spend holidays abroad as long as we're paying ! As for grandchildren ? Our daughter has Had a girlfriend for over a year , and there's no girls on the horizon for the boys yet. So hopefully not for quite a few more years! But you never know......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back