dreams

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mjltigger, Mar 22, 2015.

1. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

We have been talking a lot recently, Ms Tigger and I about the future.

Our youngest is 8 and we think by the time she is 18 we will have had enough of working for a living, plus with any luck and a lot of hard work our business will be able to stand on its own 2 feet.. so we dream that we will be able to head off around Europe in a decent sized A class or coach built for 6 months at a time between the boys birthdays in April and the youngest girls birthday in October.

Then, a few years later, assuming things go as planned, we dream the grandkids will be here and we can plan a year or so without any births deaths or marriages and overland to Australia in a larger A class or even a yank.

These are dreams but they are the dreams we are aiming at. They are the target.

What are your dreams?

• Like Like x 6
  2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Damn no she isn't, she's 9!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

when we give up fostering. to do a fly drive in the USA. for about 3 months.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I have none.

• Like Like x 2
  5. houdini

houdini Funster

Would love to go back to India again, visit Iceland, Zanzibar, South America .......................

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

when I started my business 30yrs ago I had dreams of retiring at 50,im now 59 and working as hard and as many hours as ever:eek: just waiting to see what this year has in store:rolleyes:
    Brian & Jo

• Like Like x 3
  7. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Your dream is our dream but from the 15th May it is reality when we set off for our 'Gap Year' 1st Grandchild landed last Summer so if we do not go now will we ever. So Europe here we come, Norway and beyond. You should never wish your life away but in-between have great adventures with the kids

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

When I started my business, exactly 30 years ago (1st April), I never gave retiring a though, now I never think of anything else. Sometimes I think it's just having the cherries to do it. Moving from a "comfortable" income to a"fixed" income leaves me feeling exposed. The other viewpoint is "what the hell" you only come this way once.......let me think about it a little longer :unsure:

Brian

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Our kids are not the adventurous types really.. although getting more so as they grow. The issue really used to be with 4 kids leaving the house costs a weeks wages.. now it's so hard finding things to do with them they are interested. Me and Ms T were brought up being dragged round stuff and don't want to do that with our kids. We do a week on a Spanish island every year and try and get a week away with them in the summer hols (although only 2 of them are interested in that now). Eldest boy (14) has expressed an interest in joining us on our weekend excursions over the channel but the other 3 have made it clear they aren't interested at all.

We aren't wishing our lives away and love how our life is now but both if us need a dream to drive for otherwise work and homemaking just become binding.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Elusive ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Neither do I !
    Live for for today for you know not what tomorrow will bring .
    I've known too many people who have saved and planed for a future that they're not here for!
    Don't get me wrong dreams are a good escape and something to aim for,however don't put off what you could do today until tomorrow.

Vlad.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I agree.. however our dream is not to drag 4 teenagers round Europe but to explle with the freedom that will be ours once those 4 teenagers have been dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood. The dream relies on them being capable and independent. Right now our job is to make that happen and out commitment is to ensure to the best of our ability the futures of our offspring.

Once they all turn 18 though we're off lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brian_K

Never happen, but a good plan.

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Live your dreams to the fullest,without hurting anyone,getting on a bit,i remember departed mates dreams,"One day... " Only to fall short of that day in their lives. We are living our dream in Portugal,warm days through the winter,nice house and the super Portugues people,friendly and helpfull,with a laid back lifestyle,where we are up in the northern area.
    Go ON !!. Do it,while ever you have your two hands,you will NEVER starve.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  15. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Thanks for the optimism lol.

I have a nagging suspicion that #1 daughter will be popping grandkids before baby girl hits 18 and who knows what that will do to plans. As long as the birthdays are between April and October we will be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Brian_K

Trust me, with 3 girls (now 34 to 27). The years between 17 to 19 were the hardest (human nature). Seeking independence, boys, nightclubs, university, the whole gambit.

You need to make your own space in life, but with four (as in your case), it’s going to be difficult. The term “snowball in hell” comes to mind.

But don’t fret, the grandkids make it all worth while, as they drag you around the garden and use you as a human punch bag.

Now, I’ve just laid your life out before you………say thank you Brian

Brian

• Like Like x 3
  17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Thanks a bundle. .

all the kids are individual. They all have different needs and calls on us. Who knows what our youngest will be like as a teen. Our oldest at 17 though is making us proud. After a tough time at secondary school she is studying hard at college and working to earn pin money as well as saving for her future. She has ambition and drive and is growing as a person every day.

18. Brian_K

Sounds good, as you say, don't wish your life away, it will do that all on it's own.

My youngest in NZ year before last:

http://vid24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/argoncorp/Mobile Uploads/Angelamp4_zpsdc6b529d.mp4

More bottle than me.

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My dream or plan was to retire at 50.

I turned 50'in January.

Off to work shortly:(

• Like Like x 2
  20. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    A little, whitewashed cottage right on the beach of small remote Greek island.
    Enough garden to grow some Med veggies. An open top banger and a small boat ( complete with sunshade).

I would do it tomorrow but........................

• Like Like x 1