Draughty roof skylights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by knokinonabit, Dec 10, 2013.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Can anyone help me find a thread that was on here a while ago about how to stop the draught howling in through the roof skylights ?

I've searched for ages and can't find it and feel such a numpty. :Blush:
    Must be an age thing.

I seem to recall it was done by putting some kind of strip onto the glass/plastic edge to form a seal.

It's amazing the amount of cold air that comes in from there. All the trouble that manufacturers go to with insulation and heaters etc. and then leave bl**dy holes in the roof.

Looking forward to all of your replies, no matter how much you rip the p**s out of me. :BigGrin:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

are you sure the draughts arent coming through the vents around the skylights.

many types have these vents for ventilation :)Doh:) when the light is closed.

3. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Roof lights

Is this the heki roof lights if so the place to get the seals is www.leisurespares.co.uk I think the cost is £6.75 ea.

• Like Like x 1
  4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I thought that could be the cause, but if I put my hand up between the roof and the glass/plastic I can definitely feel a draught.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

If it's the vents around the window,I cover mine with masking tape if it's really cold.

Vlad

6. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Sometimes when we are driving along all nice and cosy there is a sudden icy blast down the back of our necks and down to our legs.
    If this is coming through the vents is it possible/advisable to remove the vent covers and block off the vents by some means, such as gaffer tape ?

7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Cheers Vlad. I might give that a try. :thumb:

8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

hi, we used to have this problem. I got some foam lagging from been and qued and placed it where the rood shuts. I then wound down the roof lights and then bingo gob done. It's basicall where they do not completely seal between the roof and the hatch.

i done this way because as soon as the warmer weather comes, nothing is permananet.

9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

That sounds like a damn fine idea to me. :thumb:

Good luck on Sunday.
    I only live a couple of miles from Roseberry Topping but I will be over at Scarborough that weekend driving a fairground organ to charity do's in Whitby, Rosedale and Scarborough town centre.

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I got some draught excluder (the foam type you stick on domestic house external door frames) which I found fitted perfectly into the channel running round the edge of the roof light 'glass' and mated up to the frame below when closed, thus preventing any draught from getting in, I had to use 2 layers of the stuff to get sufficient depth on it but it certainly worked a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Window-Do...ecorative_Accents_LE&var=&hash=item20d9b1bbb8

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

13. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I've got a roll of that in the garage. :thumb:

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just one word of warning - it sticks like sh*t to a shovel so make sure you have it in the right place first time ... I did it by gradually peeling off the backing and pushing it in at the same time (if you have fat fingers find something of a suitable size to push it in with) - if you try to take all the backing off first you will come unstuck ... or rather get stuck up ... errrr stick it up where you don't want it ... oh heck, I think you get my drift! :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

You mean I could end up with a sticky end. :Wink:

16. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

We had this problem with one of our skylights so I got Highbridge to fit a deflector just in front of it, had to pay although we bought the van from them new six month prior to them doing the work. :Sad:

17. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Numerous owners have complained about Autotrail roof lights being over draughty, you need to fill them up with sealant to cure it. They did mine at the factory, it stopped it.

18. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Ours has a deflector but it all depends on which way the wind is blowing and how strong it is. :BigGrin:

19. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I feel a fool and annoyed all at the same time.

Because the cold coming in was so bad I asked the dealer to check out the seals when it was in having warranty work done. (see Autotrail woes)
    The dealer said that the seals were fine and it was coming through the vents. I took them at their word.
    Having had enough of the draughts and cold, today I climbed up and had a look for myself. Only one quarter of each rooflight has a seal, on the hinge side. The rest has nothing, so the elements just blow in, which would account for finding leaves and dirt in the MH after it has been swept out.

Now you see why I feel a fool and am annoyed together.

The dealer will be finding out tomorrow morning, first thing.
    I was only there this morning, as I passed on my way to an appointment elsewhere, to enquire about the work that is still waiting for parts.
    I just don't trust them to do anything at all now, even if it is warranty work.
    I will also be ringing Autotrail to see what their excuse is and what they are going to do about it.

20. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You can get these:

Fiamma Universal Spoiler

New Fiamma Universal Spoiler, universal aerodynamic roof spoiler; ideal for reducing vibrations and rooflight noise while travelling.
    Made with UV-ray resistant sturdy PVC material. It can be shortened to adapt itself to the different rooflights with dimensions from 110 cm to 28 cm. Easy to install without tools and without drilling the roof: can be attached with suitable adhesives (Sikaflex). Complete of smart lateral aerodynamic end caps.
    Dimensions: 110 x 20 x 12h cms

• Like Like x 2