Drama at Peterborough - underhand indeed! (1 Viewer)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Anything you tow behind a vehicle becomes that vehicle's trailer.
The fact that in this case the "trailer" is a car is irrelevant: it's a trailer if towed behind.
The combination of drawing vehicle and towed trailer becoming a Drawbar Combination.
As I understand it, if any trailer is fitted with brakes, they must be working.
All this crap is embodied somewhere within C&U Regs, where is not important, quoting bits just becomes a muscle flexing exercise.

Surely, if this set up is legal in the UK, which it APPEARS to be, that legality crosses over to any EU State.

The Spanish, however, are renowned for doing thing differently, verging on strangely, and not just in the area of road transport.
If they aint having it, is it worth time spent in Jail to (maybe) sort it out?

We can go on for ever on here about this, the only outcome will be a general " in my opinion they are Gits", "It's all wrong", "I should be an exception to all rules", or "remember the Alamo". (Even remembered RV owners there.)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They just "believe" its a trailer, I believed Pamela Anderson asked me for a date, then I woke up.::bigsmile:

Ian

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
,lol

They just "believe" its a trailer, I believed Pamela Anderson asked me for a date, then I woke up.::bigsmile:

Ian

Yes in the same way as you believe that lawyers make and/or change laws :Eeek: We are all hoping you will wake up real soon... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Ian

[HI]In exactly the same way they believe [/HI]the kids toy monkey bikes and little scooters with engines to be a motor vehicle:RollEyes:
They will do you for using them on the pavement:RollEyes:
what other term would you rather they used, "We Think its a trailer, When you say believe me you are suggesting it is true
I believe ther'e right in deciding and legistating that it IS a trailer, try driving your "Car" with an A frame sticking out and see how far you get with it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I don't normally get involved with this A frame lark because I know my 5'er a is trailer :ROFLMAO: But I always thought one of the arguments regarding A frames was that it needed brakes on all wheels not just remote operation of the handbrake and it must have the ability to be reversed easily without intervention from any outside source ie people getting out to engage / disengage anything. That does not take into account the drivers ability or inability to reverse as the case may be. With most A frame setups I have seen you have to be pretty cute to reverse them

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
I don't normally get involved with this A frame lark because I know my 5'er a is trailer :ROFLMAO: But I always thought one of the arguments regarding A frames was that it needed brakes on all wheels not just remote operation of the handbrake and it must have the ability to be reversed easily without intervention from any outside source ie people getting out to engage / disengage anything. That does not take into account the drivers ability or inability to reverse as the case may be. With most A frame setups I have seen you have to be pretty cute to reverse them

Hope this helps:

Your towing system must comply with the following, in order to convert your Toad into a UK/EU legal trailer ::bigsmile: :

The summary of these requirements boil down to the following important points:-

• A trailer under tow, over 750 kg in weight, must have its own brake assistance, which must have at least 50% braking efficiency.
  • The trailer under tow should be able to be reversed from the towing vehicle i.e. the Motorhome, without creating a drag; furthermore, such devices used for purpose, must engage and disengage automatically.
  • There should be provision to restrain and stop the trailer, in the event of a breakaway from harness.

It is important to note, the article which recently appeared on the:

“UK Motor homes.net”site, dated 24/10/2010:

“The current European type approval legislation for trailers, 71/320/EEC, is due to be rescinded in 2014 and replaced by UN ECE Regulations 13. Part of this regulation (Section 5.2.2.2.) stipulates that inertia braking systems will only be permitted on centre axle trailers. This may mean that it will no longer be possible to use inertia braking systems on A – Frames [mechanical overrun systems] ”.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I do not wish to 'contribute' in any way to the debate about the legality but would point out that reversing a TOAD, as long as the brakes do not come on, is entirely down to the driver's ability and has nothing to do with where the TOAD's front wheels are pointing. 3.5 to 7.5 tons of motorhome and 1 ton of TOAD - it goes where it is pushed!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I do not wish to 'contribute' in any way to the debate about the legality but would point out that reversing a TOAD, as long as the brakes do not come on, is entirely down to the driver's ability and has nothing to do with where the TOAD's front wheels are pointing. 3.5 to 7.5 tons of motorhome and 1 ton of TOAD - it goes where it is pushed!

From the owners point of view I think the idea is also to keep it in one piece::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back