Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
West Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30yrs
whilst I always drain my motorhomes there will always be water in the systems.

This year though in the Midlands it hasnt been especially cold, going into the motorhome today I noticed that the taps and more importantly the pump was frozen solid. Insulating cab curtains were on the vehicle and this might well relate to the Chausson not being as well insulated as others.

Just make sure that if you do go to your motorhome that the pump is not frozen up if you hit the pump switch

Tony

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
whilst I always drain my motorhomes there will always be water in the systems.

This year though in the Midlands it hasnt been especially cold, going into the motorhome today I noticed that the taps and more importantly the pump was frozen solid. Insulating cab curtains were on the vehicle and this might well relate to the Chausson not being as well insulated as others.

Just make sure that if you do go to your motorhome that the pump is not frozen up if you hit the pump switch

Tony

My method of draining the pump is to remove the suction pipe from the tank and blow through it while the pump is running with the taps and the heater drain open.

Doug...

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
With no heating on, no insulation in the world is going to keep out the cold indefinitely!

I am surprised you are so quick to doubt the level of insulation offered by your Chausson! In comparison to our Elddis we owned, our Chausson is really snug!::bigsmile:

Thanks for the warning though!:thumb:
A burnt out pump motor or split pump casing are often the effect of freezing!:cry:

We leave our heating in frost protection mode if leaving it stood up undrained for short periods at this time of year.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With no heating on, no insulation in the world is going to keep out the cold indefinitely!

I am surprised you are so quick to doubt the level of insulation offered by your Chausson! In comparison to our Elddis we owned, our Chausson is really snug!::bigsmile:

Thanks for the warning though!:thumb:
A burnt out pump motor or split pump casing are often the effect of freezing!:cry:

We leave our heating in frost protection mode if leaving it stood up undrained for short periods at this time of year.:Smile:
split casing yes, burnt out motor...unlikely as the fuse will blow :thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

We have an Elddis which is parked at our home. I have the electrics plugged in and have left the heating on very low, hopefully enough to prevent any freezing. The water is also drained down.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve just been in mine and it is frozen, so have drained the tank and left the heater on wait and see now:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
don't know if you read this or not..

a cautionary tale.. Broken Link Removed

We use a small oil filled rad on a low setting just to keep the van above freezing point.......its worked well for the last ten years.
Gary

It's all there, used for 10 years.

Just because one person in here had one fail it's unreasonable to condem the millions out there giving good service day in day out. We know nothing of the history of the one that failed to say that there is a real cause for concern.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's all there, used for 10 years.

Just because one person in here had one fail it's unreasonable to condem the millions out there giving good service day in day out. We know nothing of the history of the one that failed to say that there is a real cause for concern.

One person here.. 25,000 in the States.

Malfunctioning oil heaters can pose a fire hazard.The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 25,000 house fires annually are associated with space heaters

and it can't fail in the 11th year ? .. and in the event of a fire... how would the insurance people look at it ?

IMO it's safer to drain down than to run an oil filled heater unattended.. but if you must, it's much safer to use a green house type (not oil filled) tubular heater

forewarned is forearmed .... it's up to the individual to decide.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
There is an item on the market that purges your water system using air via a footpump or ccompressor. The air would blow all of the water from your system leaving it safe.
Now there will be a few enterprising individuals on here, who cpould quite easily knock up their own way of blowing air through the water inlet hole to force the water out, some may do it using an adapted water inlet cap, some may just go to a garage, put the airline in the hole, seal it with soem rag, and let the airline gently blow the rest of the water out.
Me.........I,m going to get one of those drain clearers that you can buy for about a fiver, its like an accordion with a trigger, you put the plunger part over the sink hole and push, and the air stored in the "accordion" bit, clear yur drain....or empties your water system.::bigsmile:

As for ANY type of heating system NOT fitted into the van,..it will probably say soemwhere in the small print "Not to be left unnattended".

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Winterising

I have a 6 metres Mirage and every winter I disconnect the habitation battery and hook up to my home's 220 volt. I then place 3 x 40 watt tubular heaters spead over the length of the van and coonect to the 220 volt socket. Open all lockers and turn off water heater & fridge. I've not had a problem yet in about 12 years - and it costs 120 watts of electricity - peanuts!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and it can't fail in the 11th year ? .. and in the event of a fire... how would the insurance people look at it ?

Why 11 ? Why at all ?

The insurers would look at it as a claim. We pay good money to cover the unexpected. Do you know of any get-out clause if a heater burns down your house or motorhome ?

You quote 25000 per year estimate for the USA. I hope you did not waste too much of your precious remaining lifetime searching for that. The USA is a big place, the millions in use there must make this a very small fraction and when you consider the deprived areas of the USA many appliances must be in a poor condition and of unknown age and condition.

Basically I'm saying that one nasty indecent reported here does not mean that folk in here need to lose sleep over their heaters or turn them off and risk the almost certain risk of freezing.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do you know of any get-out clause if a heater burns down your house or motorhome ?

Not off the top of my head .. best advice is to ask your insurer before assuming.. we all know what three words make up 'assume'

Let's hope we don't have a test case.. as most know, insurers are very good at finding 'get out' clauses .. in the event of one (any portable heater) burning your van to a cinder, they may well say it was an unauthorised modification.. best to ask.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Let's hope we don't have a test case.. as most know, insurers are very good at finding 'get out' clauses .. in the event of one (any portable heater) burning your van to a cinder, they may well say it was an unauthorised modification.. best to ask.

Sound advice.

Safeguard closed right now but I've asked for clarification by email.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not off the top of my head .. best advice is to ask your insurer before assuming.. we all know what three words make up 'assume'

Holy crap, I did not expect this.....
==================================
In response to your query I can confirm that we would not cover any damage caused by a heater left in the vehicle when not in use.
If you would like to discuss this or any other matter further then please don't hesitate to contact me on either of the numbers below.
Kind regards
James

James O'Leary
Safeguard Service Team Leader
==================================

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I didn't think for a second that you'd be covered when leaving a heater operating in a van.

As for draining down, I never do anything special.

Make sure all tanks, heater and filters are empty; leave taps open.

Last December the temp did not go over -5 in the day sometimes dropping to -20 at night. No damage to water system all, Some wood did not like the cold but otherwise OK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I didn't think for a second that you'd be covered when leaving a heater operating in a van.

I don't know why. Compare the risk of a heater running to driving to southern Italy or southern Morocco, there just isn't any comparison.

Every year hundreds of MHs will suffer accident damage, I don't recall any going up in flames due to electric heaters.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't know why. Compare the risk of a heater running to driving to southern Italy or southern Morocco, there just isn't any comparison.

Every year hundreds of MHs will suffer accident damage, I don't recall any going up in flames due to electric heaters.

I don't know why Brian, but its just one of those things whereby you know the answer before you ask. I bet every insurer we ask would respond similarly. they are not going to look at it logically, only as a get-out.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't know why Brian, but its just one of those things whereby you know the answer before you ask. I bet every insurer we ask would respond similarly. they are not going to look at it logically, only as a get-out.

So far Safeguard have had our business from 2007, always very pleased with their service, but questions will be asked in August.

I have already asked for their take on leaving on hook-up for charging and leaving the built in heating on when on holiday but out of the MH.

Anything else I should be asking ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just had a phone call from Safeguard. Pity, I'd have preferred it in writing.

They would not cover the use of a mains heater when not in use.

They would cover the built in central heating when not in use.

They do not expect the heating off when we leave the van on holiday.

They do not have a problem with permanent hook-up to keep batteries charged when not in use and in fact it's almost a requirement because any alarms must be active when not in use.

I told him that I will continue to use the 150W greenhouse heater at my risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back