Oct 24, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,

I've read a few things in magazines and on websites over the last year about draining down for winter. What I'm unsure about is whether this something that has to be done or if not, why people do it? We would like to keep using the van (occassionally) over the winter but as far as I know the water tanks are not insulated.

All I've assumed is damage can be done if you leave water in the pipes? If it has to be done, what exactly is it that needs to be drained? The simplest thing I can think of is it run the taps til the tank is empty then drain the outside valve. Some expert advice would be appreciated as the temperature has dropped quite significantly this week and I'm mindful not to damage the van I've only had for 3 weeks! :Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A good frost and you will end up with a split boiler and possibly taps that pop their heads off too..

Lost count of how many boilers I have had to replace for folk over the last 6 years..

Henry ( ex-Carver ) are the worst but Truma are not much better

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We use our van over the winter but still drain it down to be safe, reason for draining down is so that pipes do not freeze !!!! and burst flooding van or your pump bursts which can be expensive

your cold water tank should have a drain which you can open or a plug in the bottom of the tank that you pull out

hot water will also have it own dump valve which you open and drain down

after you have done that and all the water is out open all taps then run the pump for a couple of minutes to get rid of water in pipes

leave taps open in the middle position take shower head off and leave in the sink then blown down the shower hose

job done

all told take me about 15 - 20 mins
other option is that you would need to keep the van heated, suppose all depends on how often you are going to use it and what the temp is

hope this helps

ron

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

paulweller84

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
other option is that you would need to keep the van heated, suppose all depends on how often you are going to use it and what the temp is
ron

When you say keep the van heated, do you mean keep the water hot or the van itself? I would keep it all warm but it runs off the gas so could use quite a lot keeping it on

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Ours is on EHU at home so I put in a small oil filled radiator on frost setting and leave all the cupboard doors open. Would not leave on gas 24/7 as far too expensive. If you have no EHU at home then would be best to drain down between trips. Only take about 15 - 20 mins to drain down so better safe than sorry.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Drained mine last week, as previously mentioned took about 20 mins to drain everything and more to the point would only take me a similar amount to fill it again and be on my way.

I don't see it as any sort of problem but you sure have peace of mind :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Its essential that you drain down for sub zero temperatures especially thehot water heater as that is the really expensive bit and it will burst if you don't get the water out. Try this product, follow the link and scroll down to the bottom and watch the videos (how to flow) It answers a lot of questions and I have had dealings with the company they are very helpful.
www.keepfloeing.com/try

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I cannot see a problem, I have drained down this week when I use it in the next few months, I will leave it drained down, and take water in containers and boil water when needed in kettle, use to when camping , so no hardship really, have gas and electric for heating so will survive. ::bigsmile:sooner do that than risk freezing up, it is my everyday vehicle as well as holiday/trips out, so will be used.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back