Drain down kit for winterisation (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use a very similar yet simpler method Peter.

know locally as an airline and compressor.:ROFLMAO:

the water flows out the taps faster than air can escape from the tank overflow.

my water system is rated at 45psi and my airline runs at around 80psi so all sink and drain taps need opening first.

connected directly into the tanks hoselok filler valve via a short hose(for the air blower nozzle to fit in) and hoselok connector.

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
True but not everyone is as knowledgable as you although no doubt there are more here on Fun. It might give others ideas and save them money, :thumb:

The lazy ones will no doubt buy it.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
True but not everyone is as knowledgable as you although no doubt there are more here on Fun. It might give others ideas and save them money, :thumb:

The lazy ones will no doubt buy it.

Peter
I would certainly buy one if I still had the kontiki....saves a lot of doubt whether it is drained fully or not :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I use a very similar yet simpler method Peter.

know locally as an airline and compressor.:ROFLMAO:

the water flows out the taps faster than air can escape from the tank overflow.

my water system is rated at 45psi and my airline runs at around 80psi so all sink and drain taps need opening first.

connected directly into the tanks hoselok filler valve via a short hose(for the air blower nozzle to fit in) and hoselok connector.

Good idea-cost of airline and compressor ???
Mike

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is this complete drain down really needed?

I never have and have never had a problem and last winter was pretty cold.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I never had a problem doing normal drain downs. Just opened all the taps, left the pump switched on and then opened the drain valve(s).

The only extra I had to do on my hymer was take the submersible pump out of the the tank, disconnect the pipe and give it a good shake.

Not sure that this device is necessary seems like a lot of faffing about????

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I thought there was a lot of faffing as well - especially if you want to use the mh in the winter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I never had a problem doing normal drain downs. Just opened all the taps, left the pump switched on and then opened the drain valve(s).

The only extra I had to do on my hymer was take the submersible pump out of the the tank, disconnect the pipe and give it a good shake.

Not sure that this device is necessary seems like a lot of faffing about????
you will never get all the water out using the pump....once the pump has no more water to push it stops pushing water...what about the water left in the lower sections of pipe ?
frozen water expands in all directions and expends by quite a large amount.

i had a central heating boiler freeze during a period away from home......it froze the circulator pump, split the casing and pushed the end off the pump :Eeek:......the pump was cast aluminium so what chance a plastic pipe ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It seems unnecessarily complicated, and gives another 4 joints in the plumbing to potentially leak. The same object could be achieved by disconnecting the pipe from the pump and blowing air into the pipe. If you really wanted to be a bit swish you could just adapt a tyre valve to push fit in the end of the pipe and you've basically got the same as here but without the expense of the gizmo and without altering your plumbing in any way.
Though I do like gadgets I don't think I'd bother with this one.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
what about the water left in the lower sections of pipe ?

Erm... My drain valve is at the lowest point... It was on my Eura and my Hymer as well. Do some manufacturers not do this? :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its much easier to use proper non-toxic 'potable' antifreeze in the system...not the cheapest outlay but you use it year on year until too diluted to work.

5ltrs in your (already drained) tank and open the taps one at a time until antifreeze runs out, into a jug/bottle so you can pour it back in the tank, then leave alone.
drain in spring via taps/drain valves, store, then flush system with water.

cost is around £20/£30 gallon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Erm... My drain valve is at the lowest point... It was on my Eura and my Hymer as well. Do some manufacturers not do this? :Doh:
is your drain tap on the tank ?
where is your tank, underslung or under a dinnete seat etc.

my kontiki's was on the tank which was under the dinnete seat so, having a double floor, some pipework was lower than the drain.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Different on the hymer and the Eura. But both of them had the tank under a seat and both had a plug to pull out inside the tank to empty the tank completely. Then there was a drop valve for the boiler.

In addition on the Eura which had a double floor there was 2 drain valves one in the hot water run and one in the cold water run at the lowest point. Open these with all the taps on and the water drained out of the system....

The only place that trapped water was my self installed Nature pure filters which I had to dismantle.

My current one is a self build designed for fulltiming, but the dump valve for the boiler is at the lowest point by about 2 inches.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:yawn: I lost the will to live at 8:17

I don't think its necessary to go to such great lengths.

As long as your pump, water heater and any inline filters are empty or removed then you should be OK.

We had 10 days or so in Wales last year, where the temperatures stayed at well below -5 and at night dropping to -20

My local dealer who has literally hundreds of 2nd hand MH on his plot did not suffer any damage, he just did the regular winter water dump procedures. Full pipes if they freeze may break or joints pop, but a tiny bit of water compressed air might move left in pipes or tanks after a normal winter dump doesn't seem to do any harm.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This designer of this product starts out with the premise that burst pipes are caused by poor draining down... WRONG.. they are caused by NOT draining down..

this won't make it easier ... just more faffing for no real benefit .. but it will sell to those who have no motorhomr/caravan experience, preying on their fears of huge repair bills..

for that reason.. I'm out.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The video presentation was pretty good but way too long. I'm not sure about the product though, I think it solves a non problem really and it is way too bulky. The whole thing could've been done in one simple compact fitting containing a non return valve to stop the air going back to the tank and a schrader valve to connect the air pump/compressor etc.

D.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i just fill my tank's in the winter with 60lt vodka 40lt coke,and in the spring when all the frost's have gone,i have a great time draining down the tank's:drink:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
i just fill my tank's in the winter with 60lt vodka 40lt coke,and in the spring when all the frost's have gone,i have a great time draining down the tank's:drink:

I could help, please Chris let's have a spring [STRIKE]Piss-up[/STRIKE] meet and I'll give you a hand draining down..............Griff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back