Dpf filters,

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steve devon, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

I know this has been flogged to death on here before , but here's a different slant on it. Last night I was driving a Scania 8 wheel truck and had to reverse down a steep hill, when reversing with the engine brake switched on every time the brakes are applied the engine brake cuts in and grabs making progress very jerky. It was dark so I put my hand down to switch it off pressed the wrong switch and a notice came up on the dash to say DPF filter regen not required, after speaking to other drivers it appears you can make it regen just by pressing a button. The point of all this drivel is , wouldn't it be a good idea if this switch was fitted to cars and vans as well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Strange you just posted this as we just bought a new van based on a Transit 155bhp Euro 5 chassis 2015.
    Reading the handbook it turns out the DPF fluid called AdBlue is required to be topped up.Thats okay I had a Peugeot 605 with similar system BUT this Tranny has a 21 ltr tank.
    Gonna be a pretty costly exercise when this needs filling up I reckon.

3. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Crikey, I need one of these. My wife has a Nissan quashqi and the light came on last week, she took it in and they charged her £1700!!!!!

4. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Add blue has nothing to do with the DPF, it's an additive that burn alongside deisel , I bought some for the lorry last night, 75 p per litre, it will last you for ages , don't be too concerned

• Like Like x 1
  5. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

I think any euro 6 engine , be it truck or car uses add blue, but cars use so little it's topped up st every service

7. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Thanks for that Steve,as we live in France I was translating the handbook in my head and it was in the same section as DPF.
    Must have had a little too much Vin rouge with my dinner!!

8. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Ha ha ! I'm from the West Country , so it's cider down here , but not tonight got to o to work

9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

It's sprayed in to the exhaust as it leaves the engine. Engine still runs with out it.

10. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

I knew it was something like that, if it runs out engine goes into limp mode

11. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Some firms have been known to disconnect them . It's strange that trucks of the same age and make on a fleet differ in the amount of ad blue they use.

12. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

the button isn't the only means of operating the regen, it all depends on the situation, the ECU may want you to use more revs or it may ask you to stop and use the regen button.

I assume the lack of a dedicated button in cars is to make the process automatic and not something a driver can just ignore.

Of course it's all let down by the fact nobody is Told about DPF regen when they buy a diesel or that if all they do is pop to the local shops then a diesel isn't for them

13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I thought the Transits at Euro 5 did not have adblue as it will come with the Euro6 engine in July next year. unless they have some models out already with it on at Euro 6. Adblue is a LOT cheaper if it is bought in bulk. Try and find a friendly Haulier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Mercedes Sprinter will NOT START if it runs down it has a sensor the know the level and will give you a rundown of STARTS AVAILABLE when it get to Zero it will not start and needs a main dealer reboot of the ECU unless you know the coding signal.

15. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Interesting stuff,thanks.
    When I had the Peugeot 607 and found the cost of the stuff for that,my son in law worked for Ford,he told me they used an additive in the trucks and he could be able to get me some but on checking found it was different stuff,so clearly we are not talking about the same thing.
    I will check again but the book shows a filler cap,plastic similar to screen wash for example but doesn't state where it is,will have a closer look and report back.