Dpf Filter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by oldmanriver, Jun 21, 2015.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

the engine management light has come on, code reader says dpf filter, is there a quick fix like dpf cleaner, its only done 9000 miles and getting quotes of £800

2. olley

olley Funster

The usual reason is short runs, you could try a good run out at reasonable speed, 10 miles at 60mph, this may sort it. Brother says they get many problems with DPF's, mainly on vehicles that are just used around town.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

There are different fixes for different makes, for example some have fluid added either automatically or manually, whilst some recomend driving/running at a constant engine speed of 2500rpm for 15/20 minutes. Is there nothing in the handbook?
    Might be able to help more if we know which engine it is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldmanriver

fiat 3.0 2013 never used around town only on long runs

5. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

May need a re-gen on proper diagnosis computer.
    Did a minded earlier this week.
    Also check the vent pipes to the sensor are intact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. musson

musson Funster

Hi have you checked on the internet I think there is a company that can regen them I did see a van on MI took notice of it because we use DPF filters on our fork lifts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Re-generation in a workshop generally consists of hooking the vehicle up to computer which then controls the engine. Once up to temperature it will raise the revs to around 4500 and hold it there for up to ten minutes, quite scary to be around. The idea is it will get the exhaust temperature up and burn off the soot in the DPF. I would try a ten mile run at 60MPH but hold it one gear lower than top (so 5th in a six speed box) to get the revs higher and generate more heat.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It may still be in warranty. Ours came with a three year warranty but it is a PVC. I think for yours, if the avatar image is correct, it will probably be only two years but it depends when it was first registered if you are still within the two years. The difference is Fiat considers ours a van but yours they will see as a MH. However, different Fiat agents may see things differently. Our base vehicle was sourced through the local agent so they give it the full three year van warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borderland

Borderland Funster

DPF's seem to be a big problem on diesel engines. A friend of mine has a 4 year old Seat with diesel engine and it has just cost £700 to replace the DPF. The garage says it is a common fault and when you look on the internet there are a lot of comments about them. The reason for the DPF is to reduce emission levels which is all well and good but if they are going to cost so much to repair then would petrol engines be a better and overall cheaper alternative.

10. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

The best thing to do with a DPF is remove it, knock the guts out of it, & refit it.
    There are sensors each side of it which monitor the difference in pressure, with no guts inside it can't get blocked.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

On a lot of vehicles it isn't that simple.
    Many need a re-map to function correctly afterwards.
    Many peugeots/citreon do anyway.
    Re-gen runs engine at increased RPM , it also retards timing to increase exaust temperatures and hence burn off carbon.
    There is a DPF flush that can be added before re-gen to clean more efficiently.

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Code reader may well say its the DPF, but it could be anything involved with the DPF.....sensor failure, wiring fault or probably a few other things i cant think of at the moment.

Just because it says DPF dont assume it actually is.

13. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

DARN... I have the same today..
    Started up at Stratford after the week's stay and had the "check engine" sign come on.
    Ducato Euro 5 , 2.3ltr 130bhp 2012....

Ran home ok at 60mph, I have a cheap plug in ODB thingy and that gave me a code of P2454 :(
    "Diesel particulate filter pressure sensor A circuit low"

14. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

These things aren't cats and the sensors are limited to measuring pressure before DPF & pressure after DPF. If the 'after' pressure is too much lower than the 'before' pressure the ECU will light the fault light. Removing the innards might cause a problem if the ECU expects to see a small drop during normal operation. You have nothing to lose (once you're sure it is the actual DPF that's faulty, and a hot run fails to clear it) by doing as suggested & knocking though the innards.

• Like Like x 1
  15. oldmanriver

With all the problems these things give, can't they be taken of washed out and re used ?

16. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Yes,
    DPF flush and re-gen afterwards.
    they are a pain in the ass and vehicles are getting worse.
    Just looked at the new A5 Audi, my god whenever it gives grief it will be cheaper to trade the car in !

17. Tony drake

Tony drake Read Only Funster

If you are struggling to get cleaned and regenerated then one of the topgear tuning dealers that I look after will be able to remove it for you and modify the ecu software if that's of interest. You will never have the problem again.

18. Phill D

Phill D

i just had the same and it cost me 310 euros to have it diagnosed and a new DPF sensor fitted and a forced regeneration completed. i watched it all it took less than 1 hour total, diagnosis, new part fitted, regeneration.

it is unlikely that you need a new PDF, and an upgrade sensor was fitted some time in 2014.

mine is a 2012 and 12800 miles.

get a mate with a OBD2 reader and look up the fault code.

19. Phill D

Phill D

PS; the forced regeneration took just over 10 minutes and the engine was held at 3000 revs controlled by a laptop connected to the eCU.

20. oldmanriver

Reading more on line, because my motorhome is a 6 speed auto, normal driving won't clean it,have to drive it in manual mode and keep in lower gear to increase temperature,will try the weekend