Downsizing - Who's done it? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes Terry, exactly the same problem, and even if you have the TV fitted in the bedroom, you don't always want to sit on the bed to watch TV.
:)
I use my Lenovo Yoga as a tv. It goes anywhere I put it and I get freeview from a mini hotspot unit so no cables
2017-02-22 11.43.22.jpg
2017-02-22 11.43.38.jpg

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
If you're at the NEC go and look at the Auto Sleeper Kingham. We looked around the show for something 'better' than our Kingham and in our opinion that it still our favourite nothing else could better it.
I spent a good while looking at various PVCs and the Kingham did it for me too (y)

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
How do downsizers find driving around, and parking in, towns in different sizes of PVC - 5.5 m vs 6m vs 6.4? I would imagine that with the smaller size one can pretty much park anywhere. Is this right, and then how do you find it with vans that are a metre longer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
How do downsizers find driving around, and parking in, towns in different sizes of PVC - 5.5 m vs 6m vs 6.4? I would imagine that with the smaller size one can pretty much park anywhere. Is this right, and then how do you find it with vans that are a metre longer?
Clearly, a 5.5m pvc should be straightforward to park. Having said that, we haven't had any difficulty with our 6.4m van - admittedly, it is still relatively early days for us as we only bought it last summer. But we have already toured in France and the UK. No parking problems so far...

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Adria twin slx 640. A model with fixed beds, suits us. Lots of storage space, and after 3 vans with wood finish a change to "titanium" was a change for us.
Phil

We pick up our new Globecar Campscout 6.4 in mid March with the white elegance doors and drawers a change from wood effect.

John.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Congratulations...
We await the "Upsizing - who's done it? " thread with baited breath ;).
Only kidding :rofl:.
The space inside will always be a compromise in any MH, but the journey is so much of motorhoming experience, you've got to enjoy the travelling which obviously you weren't in your larger van.

I've done both ways (ooeer missus) , for me I am going to a place, by the quickest route possible , and want to have what I need when I get there, I have been through town's , cities and villages in my 7.5 tonner (even did Rouen in rush hour) but if you cant get your head round driving something wider than a car , to the point of fretting , then I guess you make the best choice for you.

My old 31ft Truck had a huge overhang that could get pretty entertaining , we went round Devon in that once, across Dartmoor , nobody died , apart from a bit of vegetation.

I am a firm believer that like houses, you expand or contract into the space you have available.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've done both ways (ooeer missus) , for me I am going to a place, by the quickest route possible ..........

I think you may well be in a minority there. I would guess that the majority of motorhomers see the journey as an important and enjoyable part of the trip.
OK, if belting down to Malaga or the like you might want to get there quickly but meandering around our favourite land is what many of us enjoy.
Many, like myself, are perfectly capable of driving a 40 foot gin palace but find a sub 20 footer more enjoyable and it's no compromise at all, in fact it's a preferred and chosen vehicle.

Just my opinion and opinions can never be wrong.

Just saying :)

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Hi. We down sized from an almost 8 metre Delfin T 700 with single beds and lots of space but because of its weight and me approaching 70,we got a Rapido panel van. Then realised our expensive mistake. So we upsized to a Burstner Travel van t620, fixed single beds at 3500 tonnes, so no jumping through medical hoops at 70. Thrilled with it and have travelled far and wide. Love Burstner!!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Well, the deed has been done!
Done a deal at the NEC this afternoon, and have brought an Auto-Trail V- Line 635 SE, July delivery.
After all the deliberation and concerns, am now absolutely delighted.
Loved the Burstner and have been thrilled with it, but think the V-Line will suit our needs better in the long run

How many times will you be watching this between now and July(y)

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Yes Terry, exactly the same problem, and even if you have the TV fitted in the bedroom, you don't always want to sit on the bed to watch TV.
If we had kept the van, we were also going to see if we could get a smaller table, as it is a squeeze to get to the front seats when entering by the hab door. Still, problem solved now :)
Hi Nigel,
^Thank you for the reply, regarding the table, Camper UK in Lincoln, ordered me a smaller table, you buy it in two parts, i.e. top leaf and bottom leaf and you use the original support, it works a treat as you can now spin the drivers seat round without altering anything. The only bad bit was the price both parts were £238.12 each plus VAT. If you are interested the Burstner part numbers are 2557058 & 2557237. Should you want to pop over to Castle Donington and have a look at them you are more than welcome
Regards
Terry Birch

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We have undertaken a number of journeys around France, Spain, Holland, Belgium and Germany as well as the UK as well as living in the narrow roads of Devon and that is where the van has always been useful insofar as being easy to manoeuvre and park easily fitting within the lines of most public car parking bays.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a step / running board on mine and use it as a step all the time thats what its for

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I park in parking bays no problem on width but take two up in length, and if someone parks either side of me I am knackerd i can't get out. To day in a Carrefour supermarket in France, huge big car park, I chose the far end which was empty. Wife went in shopping isn't there and watched some half whit park beside me. All the other spaces he could have chose but no right next to me. Luckily he left 15 minutes later. :D2

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Hi Nigel,
^Thank you for the reply, regarding the table, Camper UK in Lincoln, ordered me a smaller table, you buy it in two parts, i.e. top leaf and bottom leaf and you use the original support, it works a treat as you can now spin the drivers seat round without altering anything. The only bad bit was the price both parts were £238.12 each plus VAT. If you are interested the Burstner part numbers are 2557058 & 2557237. Should you want to pop over to Castle Donington and have a look at them you are more than welcome
Regards
Terry Birch
Do you have a picture of this set up please?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Nigel,
We also have a 2016 Nexxo Sovereign t740.
The only problem we have found is that if you turn the drivers seat round you cannot see the tv ... we have tried to get a different bracket for the tv, but no such look, have you managed to do anything?
I've been having a shuftie at your MH's TV mount:

upload_2017-2-22_18-49-2.png

There appear to be 2 options for you:

See if you can fit an extra swing TV bracket to the existing one, eg drill holes in the large plate and fasten the below on to it (assuming there will still be sufficient space for the whole lot to go back up with the TV in place):
s-l1600.jpg

An alternative is to take the TV off the existing bracket and mounting it on a swing arm one just above the side single seat.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I think you may well be in a minority there. I would guess that the majority of motorhomers see the journey as an important and enjoyable part of the trip.
OK, if belting down to Malaga or the like you might want to get there quickly but meandering around our favourite land is what many of us enjoy.
Many, like myself, are perfectly capable of driving a 40 foot gin palace but find a sub 20 footer more enjoyable and it's no compromise at all, in fact it's a preferred and chosen vehicle.

Just my opinion and opinions can never be wrong.

Just saying :)

Almost certainly , but there are hundreds of us for who the MH is just a tool to let us do other stuff. We go by car and hotel some of our trips , because we cant do 170kmh in the MH and that is what we need to do to hit ferries.

The 2 weeks we get to meander , if we get them are nice, but its not ever going to affect my buying decision.

As you say , its an opinion, only you can understand your own circumstances, which is why we all have different needs.

I have done my share of single track roads in Wales, good times, but thats not my thing any more.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We go by car and hotel some of our trips , because we cant do 170kmh in the MH and that is what we need to do to hit ferries.
Please tell me you are joking! That's over 100mph ... only on a German autobahn I hope!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Please tell me you are joking! That's over 100mph ... only on a German autobahn I hope!

Barely. Sunday traffic in Germany is always a joy, no trucks till late on, so everyone gets a move on.. and that is average speed, stuff still comes by like we are stood still.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Barely. Sunday traffic in Germany is always a joy, no trucks till late on, so everyone gets a move on.. and that is average speed, stuff still comes by like we are stood still.
Remind me never to drive on a Sunday in Germany ... I value my life too much!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I never set a deadline, so never rush. The drive in a motorhome is a lot more relaxed and having a narrower van this means I have no worries about narrow lanes, so is even more relaxed.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp

Thanks for the reply, with option one I would have to take the complete bottom out of the locker to be able to push the tv up out of the way. With option two there would be a danger of sitting on the seat below and resting their back on the tv.

View attachment 149172

See if you can fit an extra swing TV bracket to the existing one, eg drill holes in the large plate and fasten the below on to it (assuming there will still be sufficient space for the whole lot to go back up with the TV in place):
s-l1600.jpg

An alternative is to take the TV off the existing bracket and mounting it on a swing arm one just above the side single seat.

View attachment 149172

s-l1600.jpg

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Remind me never to drive on a Sunday in Germany ... I value my life too much!
Its safer than anywhere . People know how to drive, no idiots in the middle lane doing 60mph. Nobody sat in the outside lane , just because they have a posh car ,how it should be.

Meanwhile , we struggle to average 50mph here..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its safer than anywhere . People know how to drive, no idiots in the middle lane doing 60mph. Nobody sat in the outside lane , just because they have a posh car ,how it should be.

Meanwhile , we struggle to average 50mph here..
You may WANT to think that but there are idiots on the road in all countries ...

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you photos of the new table, better still if you come anywhere near Castle Donington pop in and have a look for yourself, 07952 968 670

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Most of them seem to congregate in the UK ,in front of me , any time I am going somewhere..
Which is the exact opposite of my experience of most of them being in 7.5 tonne behemoths, filling my rear view mirrors when I'm having a relaxing run and conserving fuel ;)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Which is the exact opposite of my experience of most of them being in 7.5 tonne behemoths, filling my rear view mirrors when I'm having a relaxing run and conserving fuel ;)

If you really wanted to conserve fuel, you would tag on as they go past. One of my reasons for downsizing to an A class was speed. I have given up trying to save fuel, it costs what it costs, I find its easier to save money by filling up where its cheap, than trying to extract more out of what you put in. If I was looking at 5mpg more , I might think about it, but I am resigned to the fact it does 20mpg and that's it.. used to get 18 out of the 7.5 tonner, and that was like driving a block of flats.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
last time I drove in Germany was when I was in army , is it the same now no HGV allow to move on a Sunday and on the auto bahn no speed limits !!!! Info needed .

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Most of them seem to congregate in the UK ,in front of me , any time I am going somewhere..

Oh I agree with that. Get all these other idiots, who don't have a clue how to drive, off the road so I can have an easy drive to my destination.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back