Downsizing - Who's done it? (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
It's just horses for courses.
We all have different needs and likes.
How boring it would be if we all liked and chose to buy the same vehicle - can you imagine what a CC Club site or an aire would look like?
"Excuse me but I think you're having your supper in our motorhome - have you used the toilet?"
And how boring this forum would be, no ignored members, all the same number of likes .... yawn yawn. :)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Grillex, very nice too but would take up a lot of space in the average PVC :) :) :) :)

I have a DIY version that I've used for years. A Quality Street tin with a cake cooling stand inside and a few holes punched in the lid. With a little practice it works a treat - and when not in use it.s a handy storage container.
Cost: £0
Multi function items and PVC go together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
No! No! No! Phil.

In an earlier post you referred to dead space. Frankly, if you are unable to swivel the cab seats the cab becomes a big dead space. Moreover, when the seats are turned you can move them front/back and, more importantly, recline them for very comfortable lounging and making full use of the entire van. I might admit that it it is a massive, tiring, hard, heavy, lengthy job to swivel the seat if you need to get in the cab. I will time it next time but I would guess that it might take 4 seconds. Where is the hardship in that?

The sliding door is as wide as you would like it. You don't have to have it fully open or closed. The large door opening is, to some extent, fouled by the kitchen but the opening remaining for entry/exit is equally as wide as coachbuilts or A classes. So where is the real problem there?

A further benefit we have in our van is that we can dismantle the bed and stack the parts on the nearside rear of the van where there are straps provided to secure them. I would guess that it takes about 15.7256 seconds to do this. This means that you can carry very long goods/ladders/tandem or whatever if ever you need to. If we need to carry a large item, chair/washing machine/60" TV/etc., having the two rear doors, with very large opening, at the back we can carry them on the bed!

Your 4 berth caravan seems to be as badly designed as your PVC, with nowhere to sit other than the diner. With regard to accumulated cr@p on the fixed bed, we don't have any because there is more than adequate storage in the van in which to place goods/items! Everything is put away properly and neatly.

No! Phil. We would never swap our Globecar for any coachbuilt or A class: never!

You are telling me this like I don't know how a swivel seat works... and I don't have them myself, which I do.

The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine , just because they aren't valid to your particular circumstance , makes them no less valid.

In all of these 'what to buy' or 'I bought the wrong one' threads, you have to be honest with wants versus needs, and what you must have , and what you can live without. A sole traveler has one person to satisfy, after that its a minefield , where one persons desire to carry a bike is outweighed by the other's assertion that they aren't spending £45 grand to only get a 2 burner hob and no oven. My Mrs was ready to torch our A class because the drawer locks were crap, something as petty as that can make as much difference as something major.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
You are telling me this like I don't know how a swivel seat works... and I don't have them myself, which I do.

The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine , just because they aren't valid to your particular circumstance , makes them no less valid.

In all of these 'what to buy' or 'I bought the wrong one' threads, you have to be honest with wants versus needs, and what you must have , and what you can live without. A sole traveler has one person to satisfy, after that its a minefield , where one persons desire to carry a bike is outweighed by the other's assertion that they aren't spending £45 grand to only get a 2 burner hob and no oven. My Mrs was ready to torch our A class because the drawer locks were crap, something as petty as that can make as much difference as something major.

No Phil, I as not telling you how a swivel seat works at all. It was you that gave the clear impression that they were a problem when you said "not being able to get in either of the front doors because the seats are swiveled because if they aren't you have only half of the half of the van that isn't bed or bog ." I was merely trying to explain that this was really not a problem.

The OP asked for advice and I didn't think that some of the comments you made were helpful but quite erroneous and put my slant on it. My comments have been made from experience and fact and not from any biased personal opinion. I hope that I have been helpful to the OP and others reading this thread.

Of course you have the right to your opinion but comments like lack of storage, poor payload, little space to sit and relax, fixed bed taking unnecessary room and "having a fixed bed in a PVC is almost as daft as having a front bulkhead and a 3 seat cab." I didn't think helpful to the OP and so I challenged them

You seem upset! It was never my intention to upset you and if I have done so then I am sincerely very sorry.

I hope that we can still be friends. Have this one on me mate. :drink:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
No Phil, I as not telling you how a swivel seat works at all. It was you that gave the clear impression that they were a problem when you said "not being able to get in either of the front doors because the seats are swiveled because if they aren't you have only half of the half of the van that isn't bed or bog ." I was merely trying to explain that this was really not a problem.

The OP asked for advice and I didn't think that some of the comments you made were helpful but quite erroneous and put my slant on it. My comments have been made from experience and fact and not from any biased personal opinion. I hope that I have been helpful to the OP and others reading this thread.

Of course you have the right to your opinion but comments like lack of storage, poor payload, little space to sit and relax, fixed bed taking unnecessary room and "having a fixed bed in a PVC is almost as daft as having a front bulkhead and a 3 seat cab." I didn't think helpful to the OP and so I challenged them

You seem upset! It was never my intention to upset you and if I have done so then I am sincerely very sorry.

I hope that we can still be friends. Have this one on me mate. :drink:

So your comments are based on experience and fact , but mine are biased personal opinion... i see.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
So your comments are based on experience and fact , but mine are biased personal opinion... i see.

Yes, I am pleased that you can see that!

Your opinion examples:

lack of storage
poor payload
little space to sit and relax
fixed bed taking unnecessary room
"having a fixed bed in a PVC is almost as daft as having a front bulkhead and a 3 seat cab."

Fact:

plenty of storage
good payload
plenty of space to sit and relax
good fixed bed with huge storage under and no bed to make up at night

I don't see any point in continuing this since I feel it to be of little use to the OP or other readers, so, now that we are clear about the posts I will leave it at that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have CCTV also
... and I have ...

34bf3790c65dd66ea4b4956a8b8b6660.jpg

:sneaky:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....and having a fixed bed in a PVC is almost as daft as having a front bulkhead and a 3 seat cab.

Well I never, there's me in the 'daft club' for choosing a fixed bed layout that I love ;)

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
We had an Elddis Autoquest 180 6 berth for 4 years with numerous problems the major being damp from day one! We did over 40,000 mls however and had decided to keep it when we saw this A class Rapido at 5.99m. The 6 berth was to have space for grandchildren but in reality was only a few days a year. The 3 berth suits us perfectly and with drop down bed plenty of space. We have had it for 4 years and cannot see anything better to replace it. We travel abroad for three separate months in the year and hit about 10,000+ MLS a year. When you look to downsize you will find that a lot of "stuff" you carry around ( and not use) can be left at home. I've got a shed full of gadgets, widebreaks, containers etc that I don't need- but kept just in case ....

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Well, the deed has been done!
Done a deal at the NEC this afternoon, and have brought an Auto-Trail V- Line 635 SE, July delivery.
After all the deliberation and concerns, am now absolutely delighted.
Loved the Burstner and have been thrilled with it, but think the V-Line will suit our needs better in the long run

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Done a deal at the NEC this afternoon, and have brought an Auto-Trail V- Line 635 SE, July delivery.
Loved the Burstner and have been thrilled with it, but think the V-Line will suit our needs better in the long run
Nice one and thanks for the update. The long wait begins, which is where I started at October's show, but with one massive difference, you can still use your current van, while you wait.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Really pleased that you have done the deed and sincerely trust that you will thoroughly enjoy your purchase, which I am sure that you will. Thank you for letting us know.

I also hope that the advice you sought from Funsters, in your opening thread, was instrumental in helping you make your decision. Motorhome Fun is a great place to get help and advice when you need it most.

Please let us know how you get on when you get the van.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Ok, we are off to the NEC tomorrow to look at a V- Line 635.
We currently have a Burstner T740 sovereign which we had from new last year, and we have been thrilled with it.
However, we have found over the year that the size, 7-49m long and the width, does sometimes cause issues when going along narrow roads etc.
We don't really like sites, only small 5 van sites etc, and tend to do Brit Stops, pub stops and like to wild camp in rural areas etc.
So, we are thinking about downsizing to a PVC, as it seems more user friendly for touring etc, and very much like the V-Line's.
This is causing us lots of headaches as we love our Burstner, and just wonder if people have downsized and regretted it.
Thinks like storage, do you still find enough space in a PVC to say tour Scotland, which is on our to do list.
Your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.
Hi Nigel,
We also have a 2016 Nexxo Sovereign t740.
The only problem we have found is that if you turn the drivers seat round you cannot see the tv, plus the size of the table.
So we have to end up with one sitting in the passenger seat and the other sitting with their back to the window on the dinette seat. We have tried to get a different bracket for the tv, but no such look, have you managed to do anything?

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Nigel,
We also have a 2016 Nexxo Sovereign t740.
The only problem we have found is that if you turn the drivers seat round you cannot see the tv, plus the size of the table.
So we have to end up with one sitting in the passenger seat and the other sitting with their back to the window on the dinette seat. We have tried to get a different bracket for the tv, but no such look, have you managed to do anything?
Yes Terry, exactly the same problem, and even if you have the TV fitted in the bedroom, you don't always want to sit on the bed to watch TV.
If we had kept the van, we were also going to see if we could get a smaller table, as it is a squeeze to get to the front seats when entering by the hab door. Still, problem solved now :)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We are very new to motorhoming , just 2 years now. Our first motorhome was an autotrail 6.3. It was unbelievably stressful to drive....not so much the length, but the width, with the mirrors sticking out so far. Our first journey saw one smashed...which never helped with the stress! We now have a 5.9 Ih van, which we absolutely love. We never thought we could mange without a fixed bed, or what we imagined would be so much less room...(it's not) .but it's so much better for us, as nervous drivers. Now we can go to places we would have avoided before...and its a pleasure to drive. So for us, downsizing was the best thing to do.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Congratulations, hope you have many happy times in your new van. You will now arrive at your destination less stressed and after a couple of trips to sort things out the smaller size won't matter.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Congratulations...
We await the "Upsizing - who's done it? " thread with baited breath ;).
Only kidding :rofl:.
The space inside will always be a compromise in any MH, but the journey is so much of motorhoming experience, you've got to enjoy the travelling which obviously you weren't in your larger van.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
If you're at the NEC go and look at the Auto Sleeper Kingham. We looked around the show for something 'better' than our Kingham and in our opinion that it still our favourite nothing else could better it.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Well done - hope you'll have many happy adventures in your new van!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We love our 6.0m Murvi PVC. We chose it over other makes because of two main factors: the side door is not obstructed by a bit of kitchen and there isn't a shiny bit of brown wood to be seen anywhere. :)
But if we ever replace it we would get the 6.3m long version, which wasn't available at the time.
For those in the north, have a look at East Nieuk Campervans. Very different layout but like Murvi you deal directly with the manufacturer not a dealer. This makes a difference as they care about their reputation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back