Downloading TV and Films

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by PaulB, Sep 20, 2016.

1. PaulB

PaulB Funster

What sites do people use for downloading films and TV programmes that are not time limited like iplayer?

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Kodi on a Minix 8 Android Box with WiFi access.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Showbox

4. PaulB

PaulB Funster

Thanks @Hagstrom Is the Android box for storage and the Kodi the player but where do you get the content from, or am I missing something?

5. PaulB

PaulB Funster

Thanks @Big Nick Is Showbox just streaming or can you download to play later? Do you use it on a pc or an android device, just wondering which is easiest to set up.

6. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Most films and TV progs are downloadable a few are stream only

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

...and all illegal [if that matters] :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. stevec

stevec Funster

If it is illegal, can you be tracked? By your IP address? Is this get round able. I've heard of things called VANS. Can someone explain how they work and how they are set up?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. JJ

JJ Funster

If you get arrested and taken to court for downloading a film or two while you are away on holiday in your van, please contact my people (via Fun) and they will pay your fine.

JJ :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Langtoftlad

VANS? Never heard of them...
    ...but VPN's yes

Yes you can be tracked, but will you be?
    If you are "caught", the first instance most likely will be a warning from your Internet Provider... There are some companies employed by copyright holders who might try to scare/blackmail you into paying a penalty if caught to avoid court - but it's unlikely a downloader for personal use would ever be sued.
    Unlikely but not impossible.

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network.
    Simply all your internet traffic is routed through a third party, usually in another country, which makes you anonymous.
    Disadvantages are cost, speed & what happens if the VPN drops out.
    Also be careful your VPN doesn't keep logs.

A bit like Investment - depends on your attitude to risk.
    In the past my provider has cut me off temporarily for repeated transgressions :whistle: but reconnected as soon as I promised not to do it again.
    I now use BtGuard :cool:

11. stevec

stevec Funster

Damned predictive text!
    So you have to pay for VPNs. Wasn't thinking of downloading loads so probably risk getting my wrist slapped.

12. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Topfield PVR, record any TV then transfer to hard drive or tablet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Langtoftlad

The proper ones, yes.
    There are free ones but they tend to be a bit flaky - and come with their own issues, like Hola (but useful for conning iPlayer into believing you're in the UK)
    You're probably ok - there is a risk, a very slight risk but I'd say not one to worry about unless you're completely risk adverse.

My main hassles with Kodi, Showbox etc is the flakiness of them - it can all be very hit'n'miss.
    But it's all free - so I shouldn't moan :LOL:.

14. pyro

pyro Funster

It is illegal to upload or to share copyrighted content under the terms of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988. Torrent sites employ P2P filesharing, which leaves a user vulnerable to detection through their IP address and subsequent prosecution

S20: Infringement by making available to the public "the making available to the public of the work by electronic transmission in such a way that members of the public may access it from a place and at a time individually chosen by them"

It is also illegal to market, produce, sell or even possess any device produced for the purpose of circumventing copyright protection measures. S296ZB
    of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 refers

It is not illegal to download content from the internet or to possess such equipment for personal and domestic purposes.. As far as the user is concerned, this is what counts.

However, it is illegal for the site being used to provide content (streamed or on demand). It has been known for such sites to yield the IP addresses of users when raided. The possession of copyright infringing content (downloaded as opposed to streamed) has resulted in civil prosecutions in both the UK and overseas.

This government website will provide the answers: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/intellectual-property-crime-and-infringement

I use Slingbox and have other resources, so have no need for Kodi or other flaky services, thankfully.

(25 years in copyright law)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

My mate uses piratebay! Swears by it. Has downloaded for years ,, no dramas so far!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

No need to get hung up on legal worries if you download the occasional film to watch at home, I borrow DVD's now and again off mates to watch and I don't worry about that either.

The film companies and trading standards are after those who are profiteering from breaching copyright law in my view

17. pyro

pyro Funster

I wish it were that simple

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8003799.stm
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/who-will-take-the-fall-for-pirate-bay-piracy-case-heads-back-to-court/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...-re-accused-of-online-copyright-infringement/
    http://www.fact-uk.org.uk/category/news/
    Police pull the plug on illegal international TV streaming hub based in the UK

Chances are that occasional downloading will not result in any problems, but I'm unsure about the wisdom of posting such things in a public forum

As for who profits from the pursuit of counterfeit goods, need we ask the parents of those Chinese children , an estimated 300,000 victims in total, who were fed with milk and infant formula along with other food materials and components which were adulterated with melamine - six of whom died from kidney stones and other kidney damage together with an estimated 54,000 further babies being hospitalised. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

Worth looking here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwiw2tra2J7PAhVCGsAKHUqaARIQFgg6MAQ&url=http://www.a-cg.org/asset/dangers_of_fakes_13.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHVIe-g-hVU1p4VahEINwU9d3txGQ

It's not trading standards who are profiteering, but the sellers of dodgy medicines, the pirate websites making a fortune out of advertising carried on those sites, outfits like Fleabay who charge commissions on sales of products they know to be illegal, and so forth

And if we all stopped buying music and paying to watch films, helping ourselves instead, who is going to invest in the signing of new bands or the production of new films?

To be honest, I download a few films here and there, and music that I like, and I'm not having a go at anyone for doing so, but it's not something I would exactly wish to advertise to others and could cause problems for the site

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Langtoftlad

Aha - the old downloading films killing babies or financing terrorism defence :cool:.

If there was a reasonably priced subscription model which allowed subscribers to watch what they want, how they want, when they want, where they want - then that would pretty much kill piracy stone dead.
    The iTunes/Spotify model has proved this - but the dinosaurs in Hollywood don't see this.

The entertainment industry is pretty unique in demanding its customers keep on paying for content they've already bought.

• Like Like x 2
  19. pyro

pyro Funster

I 'm not so sure I would be so hasty in dismissing the hospitalisation and deaths of so many innocent children in that instance, which is a favourite strategy of those who profit from piracy.

I didn't say that I subscribe to the copyright argument in relation to films and broadcasts, just stated the facts relating to the law. Having been a major part of the team that successfully represented TVCatchup in an epic 4 year battle in the courts against the broadcasters, I am in complete agreement with all that you say regarding the avarice of the entertainment industry and the stupidity of the copyright system. But, hey, at least I make a fair living out of them :)

20. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

PaulB,

Sent you a private conversation message. A VPN can hide your IP address and offer some privacy at, say, £40 for paid, fast service.

• Useful Useful x 1