Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Has anyone down plated a motorhome without using a company?
I know there is the likes of sv tech, but to downplate I believe that it is a simple paper exercise. Is this correct and does anyone know what is needed?

I know I will lose payload but if we get the van we have seen I'd need to take it under 3500kg for licence reasons. I've done my b+e so will use a trailer when we go for longer trips (or to stock up when in France!)

Cheers

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Only problem is you may have no payload at all, I assume you have checked.

I believe it is just a paper exercise, perhaps VOSA have the information.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Yeah I have had a look at the quoted figures in the paperwork and allowed for awning, sat etc.
May try to take it to a weigh bridge before committing too.
It did come in 3500 form from what I can see with the 3850 and optional extra which was taken by the first owner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Is it VOSA or DVLA that I would need to contact? Never had much luck with either for things in the past!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi visit your local dvla office . but do have a weigh bridge slip that shows its under 3,500kg . you cant l;ower one thats heavier .
its only a voluntary down plate and no alterations to the vehicle no ininspection by vosa should be required. when i alter the mini artics i just use dvla . they are private used for pulling a living van and arent tested or plated o vosa arent required to inspect them . i imagine a m,home will be the same .
i find visiting the local office ,being patient is the way to go.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
downplaying is easy, but make sure you have some payload left....even 100kg is better than none.

Weigh the van with full fuel tank, full gas bottles and any passengers you take....anything else can be trailered, and water can be filled on site, if it comes in too close to 3500kg.
No point getting it downplated to find half a tank of diesel puts you overweight.

A visit to local DVLA office with ALL your documents documents, the weigh bridge ticket AND enough cash/cheque/card to buy the new, more expensive tax disc.
An up or down plate won't happen if you can't buy the new tax at the time of change of revenue weight

If they say no, go back later and see a different desk clerk....none of them read from the same rule book.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back