Dover Road, Canterbury (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Anybody any recent experience of the Aire at Dover Road in Canterbury? Thinking of stopping there overnight to catch an early ferry, is it likely to be busy last week of October, half-term week I think.

TIA

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Stayed at Canterbury park and ride before last October was fairly quiet. Staying there again at end of month before travelling to Spain. It was fine, there will be others along soon who have used it more recently

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Did it in September on a Saturday, got there around 2pm and around two thirds full, by 5pm it was full and probably saw at least half a dozen mohos arrive after then whom were disappointed

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Great aire .if main part is full loads of room in overflow aire on the right .never seen it so full that people have turned away. Roy

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We are going down on Monday should get there between 2pm and 3pm then getting the train at 6 20 am Tuesday
first time for us see how it goes john(y)(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Great aire .if main part is full loads of room in overflow aire on the right .never seen it so full that people have turned away. Roy
As @Khizzie says you can go into the main car park away to the right.
You will have to go through the barrier which is open 6am till 10pm and turn right to go through the exit lane from the car park. You will pass the Aire so will be able to check for space. The exit barrier is open 24/7.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
As @Khizzie says you can go into the main car park away to the right.
You will have to go through the barrier which is open 6am till 10pm and turn right to go through the exit lane from the car park. You will pass the Aire so will be able to check for space. The exit barrier is open 24/7.
I beg to differ. We got there before 10pm in September and barrier was shut. We had to camp on entrance road. You need to be there before 8pm which is a little unhelpful.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I beg to differ. We got there before 10pm in September and barrier was shut. We had to camp on entrance road. You need to be there before 8pm which is a little unhelpful.
Really? Hmm, thought it was after that when we arrived. (n)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
.......and I missed the mug of tea you brought across for me..... :(

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we were there earlier this year the barrier was closed earlier than 8.30pm even though that's what the website says. A Dutch couple turned up at 8.15pm and couldn't get in. Fortunately they wanted a meal so we were able to direct them to the pub where they stayed overnight.

Denise

escapee

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
hi
one thing to remember last year used it -£3 for 24 hrs-no problem But earlier this year found out it is £3 per day(which of course ends at midnight)so it is now £6 to overnight so dont pay until just before you leave in the morning .Imade the mistake of paying in the evening for a quick getaway early the next morn and then were told the barrier wouldnt let us out as we would have underpaid spoke to a shuttle bus driver to be told i wasnt the first and i would have to catch the man unlocking in the morning,pay him to be let out, having done this he told me just feed another £3 into the machine and use that new ticket -ever felt silly?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you arrive after 4pm then it's only £1 until midnight that day so an overnight would be £4 rather than £6. Not much help if you arrive before 4pm though!

Denise

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes back in June before they started using the overflow bit I was in there & we even had them parked on the pavement areas either side of the dumping point + an Austrian doubled up alongside someone in the entrance & another across the front of the 2 parked in the spaces between in & out. When I looked out in the morning there was also a Dutchman parked on the road in in the yellow hatched service vehicles bit.Obviously got their after barrier locked

If you arrive after 4pm then it's only £1 until midnight that day so an overnight would be £4 rather than £6. Not much help if you arrive before 4pm though!

Denise
I always arrange to arrive after 4 when going between Kent /Essex.:D

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
when we travel from Dover we just park on the sea front about 500 yards away from the port. Its free after 6pm till 8am which is great for night time ferries

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back