Jonnyboy&Iddybiddy

Free Member
Mar 28, 2015
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Benimar Aereo 6000 2005
Exp
Hi all my wife and I are going full time from Monday 14th.
Need to know we're the best place is to park in Dover?
Also need directions when we get to Dover.
Thanks
John & Debs

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hi John.
Try canterbury park & ride.
£3/24hrs
Free bus into town. (2 x Wetherspoons)
Services.
Our current favourite.

Also an option, Dover patrol monument at St Margarets on Cliffe. Camper contact.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You can still park in Dover along the Western Dock end ONLY, at this time of the year it is empty. The Canterbury P and R is very good value and you can travel in for a visit free on the buses, do not arrive too late though.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think there was some talk of banning m h parking at the Dover Patrol monument, but I haven't been there for a few months so don't know if it's true or not. I would second the Canterbury P&R site. Canterbury is worth a visit too. You can't go wrong for £3.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
You can park at the Dover Patrol monument during the day, but just recently signs have been put up stating no overnight parking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I would second the Canterbury P&R site. Canterbury is worth a visit too. You can't go wrong for £3.

Don't forget that the price at the Dover P+R increased though I would still say it is good value. Overnight now costs £6 (ie you pay £3 per calendar day) or £4 if you arrive after 4pm.

If you are going to use it regularly, eg making several trips via Dover port or the tunnel, it can be worth getting the P+R payment card which gives you a discount and it then costs £2.40 per day which then equates to £4.80 overnight or £3.20 if you arrive after 4pm. OK, it is not a huge saving in the context of a continental trip, but why pay more than you have to and you also might be tempted by the odd trip just to visit Canterbury, Whitstable etc rather than just using the P+R as a staging post. I believe a few years back someone organised a bit of a winter get together there.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't forget that the price at the Dover P+R increased though I would still say it is good value. Overnight now costs £6 (ie you pay £3 per calendar day) or £4 if you arrive after 4pm.

If you are going to use it regularly, eg making several trips via Dover port or the tunnel, it can be worth getting the P+R payment card which gives you a discount and it then costs £2.40 per day which then equates to £4.80 overnight or £3.20 if you arrive after 4pm. OK, it is not a huge saving in the context of a continental trip, but why pay more than you have to and you also might be tempted by the odd trip just to visit Canterbury, Whitstable etc rather than just using the P+R as a staging post. I believe a few years back someone organised a bit of a winter get together there.
Thanks for that, didn't know about the P&R payment card. We use Canterbury P&R quite regularly and often go there for a weekend or a few days during the week and then travel by bus to different places. As you say not much of a saving but as the famous supermarket says "every little helps".

Denise

skipper64

Free Member
Nov 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Just an update on Canterbury park-n-ride it is now £3 for 12 hours not 24!

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years

I do not think that is quite right. I think, as I said above, it is £3 per calendar day, so if you arrived when it opened and left before midnight you would have stayed more than 12 hours but still only pay £3.

The other MH parking, at Kingsmead at the back of Sainsburys, is priced per 12 hours, it is also much more expensive.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Disappointed but not surprised - it's been getting more and more popular, especially with our continental cousins. Still good value but this may cause a few to start looking elsewhere (maybe Canterbury's intention?)

Just seen Whitebirdyman posted as I did so maybe not relevant

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went up to the Dover Patrol monument and the notices are there but it private land so I do not think they are actually valid as a parking restriction. Plenty still use it.. Make sure you suspension is up to the Job as it is a trifle bumpy going up there

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

Thanks for that, didn't know about the P&R payment card. We use Canterbury P&R quite regularly and often go there for a weekend or a few days during the week and then travel by bus to different places. As you say not much of a saving but as the famous supermarket says "every little helps".

Denise
I didn't think about the payment card either and my daughter used to have one for college. We recently found it when ripping out the old kitchen. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back