Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You can see the report here http://www.dover.gov.uk/Transport,-S...egy-Report.pdf

Have your say on the proposals. Respond by email to parkingstrategy@dover.gov.uk by 8th July

They are considering removing all overnight parking on the seafront and making dedicated spaces available in their other town car park. Please read the report and send in your suggestions. This could mean the end of stops on the Esplanade near the Marina.

Making available an overnight stop with provision for a Borne, would be a big help for those not wanting to stop as far away as Canterbury for early morning or late night ferries.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Making available an overnight stop with provision for a Borne, would be a big help for those not wanting to stop as far away as Canterbury for early morning or late night ferries.
Message of support for that idea sent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Bump

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
The report suggests using Camden Crescent for motorhomes. It looks as though it is presently marked out for about 80 cars, but, with room to breath between our vehicles I doubt if it would take more than about 30 motorhomes. The main drawback is that it's back wall is next to the main dual carriageway leading to the M20. The Esplanade can be noisy, but Camden Crescent will be much more so. However, at least the report authors are suggesting future provision should be made for motorhomes.
J

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
They will just stop motorhomes parking on the sea front and not provide anywhere for us to go you just watch and see
If the Dover harbour board say no that's it they have a lot to say about what gos on in Dover allways have done

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They will just stop motorhomes parking on the sea front and not provide anywhere for us to go you just watch and see
If the Dover harbour board say no that's it they have a lot to say about what gos on in Dover allways have done
Surely Dover harbour board want to encourage motorhome owners to use the ferries from their port rather than others. People are hardly likely to be encouraged to do so if access is made harder (especially if the harbour board campaigns against provision).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've e-mailed the address given above saying thanks for the positive approach and mentioning provision at Calais and Canterbury as examples to consider. Fingers crossed.

Be aware that public responses to these consultations do have clout with Local Government. I was pleasantly surprised to see an unwelcome proposal by our local council overturned with only a few hundred responses to a survey they put out. It caught them all on the hop and they weren't expecting the answers they got. Do make an effort to say what you think about this - don't just sit back and do nothing then moan about the outcome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just done a, hopefully, helpful email supporting the scheme and also giving some suggestions/observations on what to consider - having worked for a Director of Facilities at a University Having worked for the Director of Facilities at a University I understand how important it is to get 'car parking' right or suffer the consequences of the flack which will ensue!!!! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To save others having to read through the whole thing, these are the 2 main paragraphs in the document relating to MH parking:

4.19 A specific way that the existing available off-street capacity can be utilised in relation to issues identified within the stakeholder engagement processes for managing on-street parking of motorhomes and coaches. This is discussed further in paragraph 4.34 below; however the designation of clear off-street parking provision for motorhomes, as well as additional coach parking capacity, would be a productive use of capacity that, if delivered alongside wider visitor information measures, could attract more visitor trips into the core town centre. It could also alleviate some of the perceived issues associated with onstreet parking of these larger vehicles. In the short term the Camden Crescent car park would appear to offer sufficient under-utilised capacity for consideration, subject to suitable design requirements. Maximising the use of off-street capacity for blue badge holders, is also an important consideration, discussed further in Para 4.33.

4.34 The analysis has also identified pockets of overnight on-street parking by motorhomes, as well as onstreet coach parking. Whilst the introduction of overnight restrictions could be introduced, this is unlikely to be cost effective for the council in terms of an enforcement regime. A limited enforcement regime could still act as a deterrent and is likely to still considerably reduce the level of overnight parking. Similar approaches have been adopted by other seaside towns looking to keep their waterfront areas clear. A more proactive solution would be the identification of specific provision for motorhomes, as well as additional coach parking within the town, as discussed in paragraph 4.19 above.​

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
To save others having to read through the whole thing, these are the 2 main paragraphs in the document relating to MH parking:

4.19 A specific way that the existing available off-street capacity can be utilised in relation to issues identified within the stakeholder engagement processes for managing on-street parking of motorhomes and coaches. This is discussed further in paragraph 4.34 below; however the designation of clear off-street parking provision for motorhomes, as well as additional coach parking capacity, would be a productive use of capacity that, if delivered alongside wider visitor information measures, could attract more visitor trips into the core town centre. It could also alleviate some of the perceived issues associated with onstreet parking of these larger vehicles. In the short term the Camden Crescent car park would appear to offer sufficient under-utilised capacity for consideration, subject to suitable design requirements. Maximising the use of off-street capacity for blue badge holders, is also an important consideration, discussed further in Para 4.33.

4.34 The analysis has also identified pockets of overnight on-street parking by motorhomes, as well as onstreet coach parking. Whilst the introduction of overnight restrictions could be introduced, this is unlikely to be cost effective for the council in terms of an enforcement regime. A limited enforcement regime could still act as a deterrent and is likely to still considerably reduce the level of overnight parking. Similar approaches have been adopted by other seaside towns looking to keep their waterfront areas clear. A more proactive solution would be the identification of specific provision for motorhomes, as well as additional coach parking within the town, as discussed in paragraph 4.19 above.​
Thanks @Minxy Girl I saw it was 32 pages long and gave up ! Which is precisely what they want us to do !
Last year we arrived 2 hours early and the port directed us to the sea front . Although I expect the people in the flats will be pleased as MH moving at all times of day and night must be annoying . I hope they find somewhere near.
Enjoy your travels!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The suggested car park is just a pebble's throw from the existing on-street parking - if you look at the below you can see a car park which I've marked with a red box - this is just across the grass from Marine Parade.

Dover parking.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just done a, hopefully, helpful email supporting the scheme and also giving some suggestions/observations on what to consider - having worked for a Director of Facilities at a University Having worked for the Director of Facilities at a University I understand how important it is to get 'car parking' right or suffer the consequences of the flack which will ensue!!!! :D
Just had a 'thank you' email ... hopefully something positive will come of the consultation!

clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

RE: Dover parking strategy
15/07/2016

Dear Melanie,

Many thanks for your response to the consultation on the Council’s draft Parking Strategies for Dover, Deal and Sandwich.

I am writing to acknowledge your submission and to advise you that the responses received will be considered at the meeting of the Council’s Cabinet on Monday September 5th.

Yours sincerely

Roger

Roger Walton
Director of Environment & Corporate Assets
Dover District Council

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Neighbour is a councillor and I have mentioned this matter to him some time ago, I also have a printed copy of comments made on here and on Wildcamping forum where I took the comment about Dover and listed them. They were not at all complimentary. If Dover wants to attract people to visit and also stopover then the Council must make a better provision, This is one, I did try and get the Harbour Board to open the Northampton Quay site to 24 hours parking, There is water and sewage available there. It is used for the Outlet Centre during the day and is nearly always empty. At night they close it. The letter I sent went straight into the round filing cabinet. So I take it as a no then.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My Neighbour is a councillor and I have mentioned this matter to him some time ago, I also have a printed copy of comments made on here and on Wildcamping forum where I took the comment about Dover and listed them. They were not at all complimentary. If Dover wants to attract people to visit and also stopover then the Council must make a better provision, This is one, I did try and get the Harbour Board to open the Northampton Quay site to 24 hours parking, There is water and sewage available there. It is used for the Outlet Centre during the day and is nearly always empty. At night they close it. The letter I sent went straight into the round filing cabinet. So I take it as a no then.
To be fair to Dover District Council, it is not responsible for the actions of (nor does it have power over) Dover Harbour Board. Dover Harbour Board is a statutory corporation and is not a member of Dover Joint Transportation Board, the instigator of this report.

There may be little, if any, excuse, for Dover Harbour Board to reject the suggestion for Northampton Quay out of hand but that is a different matter. If no response was received it may be worth making an approach in the form of a FoI request (which must be answered). Perhaps something along the lines of asking what the decision to close Northampton Quay overnight and not allow overnight camping by motorhomes was based on.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just sent mail, let's hope for a positive outcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back