DOVER PARKING AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gosport Tim, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

:france:Off to Bruges on Sat morning for a few days will then spend the next few days travelling on a whim but will probably head to the Somme area.

I know that there have been numerous threads regarding the 'ban' on the seafront for us 'lepers;!! Can anyone tell me if the ban has been imposed yet as I was hoping to stay there Friday night prior to an early morning ferry on Saturday.

if the ban is in place an alternative location would be appreciated.

Tim (y)

2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We saw some vans parked there a few days ago, but it was in the day and I haven't been there to see if there are any signs.
    A couple of good places to park are the aire at Canterbury's New Dover Road park and ride site (£3) and free parking next to the Dover Patrol memorial, Granville Rd, St Margarets at Cliffe.
    After 5pm, a few foreign vans trickle up there. The road is very potholed, but persevere, the view from the memorial is superb.
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

There were MHs parked on Marine Parade on Saturday morning as our ferry arrived from Calais.

However, we went to Canterbury P&R on the outward journey because they can be be arsed to provide overnight MH parking facilities.

• Like Like x 3
  4. keith

keith Funster

Support Canterbury, they started their aire a long time ago so no need to stay in Dover.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

Agreed but Dover has always been part of our tradition, park up and visit the Great Western for a pint and bar meal normally after a hard days work and several hours travelling. Happy to support Canterbury for future trips but with a real early ferry the closer the better this time around.

6. Baycott

Baycott Funster

We are using Dover Calais crossing next Thursday and intend using the BritStop No 135 in Dover as we have an early crossing.

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Theres a really good pub next to the Canterbury Aire. The Gate. The ferry is less than 1/2 hours drive away.
    Allan

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The landlord at The Gate let us overnight in his car park on a Sunday night when the aire used to shut on a Sunday and we didn't know. We had a meal in the pub to say thank you.

If all else fails there's a wide lay-by on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover, just past Kent Motorcycles - truckers use it, and we've used it too.

9. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

Guys, many thanks for all your replies and advice but I am still waiting for a response to my original question ' can you still overnight in Dover or has the ban been implemented' greatful for an update.

10. SandT

SandT Funster

11. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I just contacted Dover council. The parking on the esplanade is " under review " at the moment it is still permitted.
    In due course it will be a topic for discussion, at the same time alternative parking overnight for motorhomes will be on the agenda.
    They are going to send me the minutes of the discussion about motorhome parking and when I get them I will write a blog on the website.
    The lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Which Ferry? When we when to France a few weeks ago with Myferrylink I telephoned them to ask if I could stop in the terminal overnight. They said yes as long as I arrive after the last night ferry (which was not too late).

So we checked in and parked up in the queue for the 07:30 ferry. No worries in the morning, first on the ferry too(y)

Dunno if that helps?

• Like Like x 1
  13. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I have just sent the email on Dover parking the facts, recent posts.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Finding information on parking in Dover (and in many other places in the country) is complicated somewhat by the separation of responsibilities between county and district councils. Dover Council is solely responsible for off-street parking and on-street parking is the responsibility of Kent County Council. Just to complicate matters, Dover Council is responsible for enforcing Kent County Council orders within the Dover area. The Dover Joint Transportation Board includes representatives from both councils.

I've tried to pull together all relevant links in the Dover entry on the South East England page of the Motorhome Parking web site.

15. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

http://www.tmcto.org/index.php/comp...Word=Dover&Modid=150-search-gmapfp&Itemid=242

Marine Parade (outside the Gateway flats) or The Marine Court Premier Inn.
    Motorhomes/caravans, trailers are not permitted to park on Marine Parade (outside the Gateway flats) or The Marine Court Premier Inn.

The Marina end of Marine Parade and the Esplanade.
    Pictorial signage in this area indicates where caravan/motorhome parking is permitted and the nearby pay and display machines indicate the need to purchase two pay and display tickets

This is the current situation and will only change when the council has gone through the consultation stages to amend the Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO). TMCTO has requested to be included in such formal consultation.

16. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I ha
    I've just checked the website and there are MyFerryLink sailing at 21:10 oo:15 and 05:00 so it would not be possible to stay overnight for a 07:30 ferry.

We are sailing at 07:30 on 31st October and will be parking on the Esplanade.