Dover Dunkirk ..DFDS/ caravan club ferry deal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by tomm2, Jan 26, 2012.

1. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

As a member of the caravan club , I received their flyer showing the Dover Dunkirk ferry deal via DFDS..... Car & caravan from £39 single trip. Motorhome from £ 29 single trip..... Thought ,,,,, I"ll have some of that .

Using the flyer as a guide on days and times for deal , input details for motorhome ( up to 7 metre , no trailer ) , return trip on caravan club site . Making sure that I choose the sailings with the £29 single fare.

Result = always £92 + ( mostly £102 for some reason ) ..... So nowhere near £58 return ,supposed deal price.

=======

Curiosity time ......... Put in same sailing/day/time but change to caravan & car ( less than 12 metre total ) ...... result is always £78 return.Never more never less. So always the published from £39 cost

=======

Now put in randomly chosen days throughout the range feb - july, but keep the times for lowest cost sailings ... Result always as shown above .

====

Ok , Contact DFDS , result = they blame caravan club , but clearly also saying that they were aware of problems in the booking system and that the workaround was telephone book only with caravan club ????

OK ,contact caravan club by telephone , ref the booking cost results . They tried booking from their own system . Result = same figures I achieved .They then blame DFDS.

As at contact today , both parties still blaming the other ,,,,,,,, but adding blame to all of a sudden , include a quota system for motorhomes on sailings .Then further suggesting its complete coincidence that I get higher figures for MH than car/ caravan sailings ???

Both parties now also saying that the deal actually belongs to and is administered by the other party , so basically passing the buck. ???

Incompetence , duplicity , rip off Britain ?

Sorry folks , rant over .

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

stick with the tunnel and Tesco's vouchers:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

:Rofl1: Thats the way I think Roger........ Jeez , done my head in listening to the b***sh** from dfds and caravan club . They couldnt organise the proverbial in a brewery

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fen tiger

Fen tiger Read Only Funster

Tunnel

We've never used the tunnel as it is so expensive. Are there deals to be had? We have spent 7 years travelling with Sea France so we now have to shop around. :Cool:

5. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

If you mean deals to be had travelling via tunnel , their frequent traveller. ( http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/ ) might be worth looking at .

There may well be other deals for tunnel , the only other one I know of is tesco vouchers . Details on the tesco and euro tunnel websites maybe ?

6. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

my pilot is allways £ 33.00 when u book with dfds at dover on phone :BigGrin:
    dont book with caravan club as will charge you more, they will add there charge on top >>> :Blush::Blush:

7. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Funnily enough , when I spoke to DFDS this morning regards the so called deal with them and caravan club ,the lady there mentioned a £30 something single fare . However the downside was that 6 journies had to be booked and paid for to get the deal ?? Do these companies just quote random figures and make up random rules as they go along ?

8. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Yep. Bit like insurance compainies.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fen tiger

Fen tiger Read Only Funster

Ferries

Gosh! we are naiive. We didn't know you could just ring the ferry companies. Duh! :Sad:

10. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I also tried yesterday through the Caravan Club website and got higher prices than going direct to the DFDS site.

I had the same last year, so booked DFDS direct and got a 7m van for £78 return in August / September.

I just tried again 10 mins ago.... to make sure......

Out August 1, return Aug 16, 2012.

DFDS direct, (website) cheapest return £78, most expensive £110.
    Caravan Club cheapest return £116, most expensive £168.

The Caravan Club also initially flags up the highest crossing at £168, I had to dig further to get a cheaper price.

The most expensive DFDS fare was still cheaper than Caravan Club's cheapest!
    So great deals from the Caravan Club........ NOT:Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  11. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

====

On that I agree wholeheartedly. How can they get away with advertising something which is buried so deep, to all intents and purposes it just isn"t there , or is pure luck if found .Only by as you say , having to " dig further " ?

12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Have to say we found them very helpful, we phone up with a code that was given on FUN (from the NEC) booked there and then with the option to change the date any time before June which we have and all for £25 all in.

Worth seeing if you can find a code anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Thats the next task finding a valid code , thanks Carol. :Smile:

14. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

HAS ANY ONE BEEN GIVEN A CODE ??? MAY BE WE CAN USE IT AND SAVE A FEW BOB:Eeek::Eeek:

15. cpease

cpease Read Only Funster

dfds/norfolk line

Codes are usually issued after a major indoor show, the next being Excel early feb, keep your eyes open as I am doing so I can book for June.

16. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: or buy a caravan because that's what the caravan club want you to do :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Masman

Masman Funster

BOOKED DOVER DUNKIRK WITH CARAVAN CLUB 58 POUNDS RETURN IN JUNE.WENT ON WEB SITE WITH DFDS 56 POUNDS PLUS 4 POUND BOOKING FEE.:thumb::thumb:

18. lou020

lou020 Funster

Booked 23.30 dover-dunkirk + return for august through caravan club web site back in december, £58 for 7.5 meter mh... dfds own web fare £147. I allways found sea france expensive.

never done dunkirk before, I just hope there is somewhere to stay the night ,, eg ticket office car park same as in dover.:thumb:

19. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

book early

Book early and you can get some deals.. I go always by the tunnel... a) it is fast b) I have a dog with me in the RV c) no rough seas to worry about...

I am 45' with my car trailer and I go in the summer for around £300 return as a guide give or take a few pounds.. at not in the middle of the night, but when I want to go mid morning.

If I arrive early often I get offered an earlier train across same coming back... (with in 2 hours of the departure time I had already booked).

It is an easy load on to the train... easy access out of the terminal and on tot he French roads North or South.

Give it a go.. you will not go back to the ships.

Bob

20. otis the staffy

otis the staffy Read Only Funster

dover Dunkirk

lou020 stayed a few weeks ago at Dunkirk yes parking at Port ticket office first time we stopped there and found it noisy we use Dunkirk every time we use the ferry and usually stay on massive lorry park 500 mts away lovely and quite. Stay Safe:thumb: still get best deal with caravan club 8mts £88 =£58 return plus £30 for dog:thumb: