Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
i know lots of advice has been given on this topic but our situation is slightly different.
We are going on the ferry on Monday evening. We are driving down on the Sunday am. We are looking for a stayover and somewhere we can lay up during Monday till evening.

The suggestions are:-

Canterbury Park and Ride---- Can we park overnight and stay the next day till evening?

Tesco-----Isn't there a 2 hour limit, there is in our local one and we have a little man checking up on you ? So no good for Sunday pm overnight and Monday am to pm.

Marine Drive----- no good for during day.

Would a CL be better? Is there one near anyone can recommend?

I must seem very thick - just put it down to age!!::bigsmile:
Any suggestions, Please

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Why not park by us, we will give you dinner etc sleep in your MH and then drive on to dover?

PM me if you fancy it xxxx

Alternatively the site called two chimneys just outside margate is a pleasant one.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Canterbury Park and Ride---- Can we park overnight and stay the next day till evening?

Yes you can providing you pay the appropriate fee. For more info click on the following link to Graham's website. See notes 6 & 7

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/ken.htm#cant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Personally i'd use the park and ride at canterbury, and visit the town during monday day before setting off for the ferry :thumb:

cheers...nige

OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Sorry Brisey I did not read your reply properly. I'm getting more decrepit than I thought:Doh:
If we can stay on the P&R that is it sorted!::bigsmile:
Lucille

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We may see you there Lucille. We are intending to leave home at mid-day on the Monday. However we are now getting "itchy feet" and may decide to travel down on the Sunday evening to avoid the traffic on the M25.
You can park on Marine Parade during the day, but it is a pay and display area between 8am and 6pm I believe, it is also patrolled by wardens. I am not sure of the charges.

Brisey

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We had an epic this last weekend - heading for Dover after work to catch the 2125 to Calais, which was always going to be a push anyway, we stopped at Corley services at which point K remembered that the passports were still in her car - in Shrewsbury!

Back we go, a call to P&O to get the ticket amended to the 0555 on Saturday (£16), that's 150 miles done and we're back where we started!

We eventually arrived in Dover at about 2 in the morning and I'm afraid, too knackered for the niceties, we found a nice peaceful layby to ourselves, just off the A2, and slept the sleep of the innocent.

I did notice last night on the way back that there were plenty of foreign registered M/Hs doing the same.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have just found the following information on a couple of websites. It appears that you cannot gain access to the Park & Ride facility on a Sunday.

The New Dover Road Park and Ride will no longer be open on Sundays.
The barriers will be locked from 20.30pm on Saturday and re open at
6.30am on Monday. If you are already parked up before Sat night
you can still stay over as before but with no bus service. We stayed
there Sunday night, they left the barrier up because of complaints
from motorists,so they allowed people to use the c/p but make their
own way into town,a bit of a compromise.
I spoke to the attendant on Monday and he confirmed the situation
and the times with his boss Mr Colin Perris of parking services, who
said that he would be grateful if I could pass this information on to as
many people as possible. I hope that this info could be forwarded to
any european m/h sites to stop any inconvienence.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I was told last year that if I couldn't get on the P&R I could use the Coach park in/near the centre of Canterbury I presume that still stands, its sign posted

Just spoke to Canterbury CC and they state you can use the Coach Park its £5 for 12 hours and its open on Sunday, depending on when you were hoping to arrive on Sunday you could perhaps pay £5 then move to the Dover Road P&R as it opens at 7am on Monday morning or you could just pay another £5 and stay at the coach park for the rest of the day.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Canterbury P&R

Hi,

I stayed overnight Saturday to Sunday on the Canterbury P&R in February and noticed that the 'IN' barrier had been left open on the Sunday while the parking is 'closed' (effectively just no buses) to allow anybody in for free. I would imagine that you could just roll in on the Sunday and then buy a ticket and pay any necessary fee when you leave on the Monday - £2.50 at the most. There were other campers staying over to the Monday.

I would give Colin Perris a call at the office to check if they are still leaving the barrier open - they are very helpful there. Well worth it for a peaceful stop over and a great pub nearby for a nice meal and good beer. Nevertheless, you would have to catch a service bus into town on Sunday if you needed to.

Steve

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Here's a map showing where the coach park is situated, its very close to the centre

Link Removed

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have just spoken to the Canterbury Parking Department and they have confirmed to me that the Dover Road Park & Ride facility is closed on Sunday and that no access is available until Monday morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back