Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Those are nowhere near the same, very thin metal and shallower and you can't stack them,handles are not removeable and no pirex lid, I got one from somewhere else out of curiosity.
Are you SURE it was the one I linked to as I seriously doubt Lakeland would sell it if it was cr@p. There is another which is very similar which I agree IS cr@p as the metal is so thin:

https://www.proidee.co.uk/?P=200110205&H=froogle

The Lakeland one is different:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70639/Lak...02117:s&src=awdef&afid=78888&afname=Skimlinks

No there's no pyrex lid, they don't stack or have removable handles but they are larger than the one you are proposing to start selling and are quite a bit cheaper - some people want a larger version so this is a good alternative and if, like me, they only ever used them as an 'oven' then not having a pyrex lid isn't a problem and not having removable handles isn't the end of the world either as most MH owners have somewhere to store a 'normal' frying pan.

I am in no way taking away from the quality of the original 'double skillet' but as it is NOT available yet, and then only in a smaller size when it does start to be sold again, this IS an alternative for some:

Broken Link Removed
70639_1

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I noticed that the Spanish hardware and kitchen shops sell loads of similar things (for anyone is Spain right now) at quite cheap prices. Mostly offered as omelette pans. I can not vouch for their quality of course.

We have had a Double Skillet for 3 years and although versatile I can not say that I am too impressed with the quality of the non stick coating. One of our pans has worn quite badly. We only use plastic utensils and do not scour the pans when cleaning.

It might be of course that the reason ours have worn is that we actually use them to cook proper food and that we have used them hundreds of times :eek: Having said that we have used our John Lewis pans hundred of times and they are still in excellent condition.

I think the Double Skillet (and their copies) have a place in the motorhome kitchen but they are not a panacea :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Agree with Minxy Girl about Lakeland - they are renowned for their products & good aftersales
"If for any reason, you're not 100% happy with your purchase(s) please tell us so that we can put it right - it's all part of the Lakeland guarantee plus all returns are free." Also for their guarantee policy http://www.lakeland.co.uk/info/LakelandGuarantee if products are not suitable for you. We have bought from them from when they were a small company selling mostly plastic freezer bags & have always had good service especially when things have gone wrong.Their new frittata pan isn't the ideal replacement for or improvement on the double skillet but may be a compromise for now... If anyone does buy one then please post a review as we are considering this one.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I noticed that the Spanish hardware and kitchen shops sell loads of similar things (for anyone is Spain right now) at quite cheap prices. Mostly offered as omelette pans. I can not vouch for their quality of course.

We have had a Double Skillet for 3 years and although versatile I can not say that I am too impressed with the quality of the non stick coating. One of our pans has worn quite badly. We only use plastic utensils and do not scour the pans when cleaning.

It might be of course that the reason ours have worn is that we actually use them to cook proper food and that we have used them hundreds of times :eek: Having said that we have used our John Lewis pans hundred of times and they are still in excellent condition.

I think the Double Skillet (and their copies) have a place in the motorhome kitchen but they are not a panacea :whistle:

I bought ours in a Portuguese hardware shop for €39.99 excellent quality, would have liked iit a little deeper but I manage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
^^ Had one of these also for a look see, again very thin metal not as deep, can't stack no lid
Agree that the one shown by Mariner is cr@p (sorry Mariner!) ...

What are your thoughts on the QUALITY of the Lakeland one Richard?

OP
OP
R

richard foks

Free Member
Jan 19, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1990
Again thin metal ,can't stack, no lid and not as deep. By all means if you can't wait get one and try it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If anyone buys, or even manages to 'see', one of the Lakeland ones in the flesh can they please put details of what they think of them on here so that others know what they are like.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Yes in meadohall Sheffield they are good and if we can't get the real deal I would go for them. John

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Count me in to please - been searching on-line to try and replace ours. Had one for years and seen better days

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I haven't used a double skillet but what's the difference between one and what's called a Dutch oven? Such as this one, they come in different sizes. The frying pan bit fits over the deep bit. (Click the first blue writing to see the web page)
Amazon product ASIN B0009JKG9M

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I haven't used a double skillet but what's the difference between one and what's called a Dutch oven? Such as this one, they come in different sizes. The frying pan bit fits over the deep bit. (Click the first blue writing to see the web page)
The DS comes with a glass lid for use when both are the same way up rather than the top one being inverted to form a small oven.

Meat & potatoes roast in the bottom whilst veg cooks in the top. Roast meal in about 45-50 minutes (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What's the difference? The weight for a start, ie cast iron, and obviously the price. :eek:
Whilst we have a large MH with a good (uplated) payload, I still wouldn't be wanting to hump cast iron pots and pans about. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Are you SURE it was the one I linked to as I seriously doubt Lakeland would sell it if it was cr@p.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70639/Lak...02117:s&src=awdef&afid=78888&afname=Skimlinks

No there's no pyrex lid, they don't stack or have removable handles but they are larger than the one you are proposing to start selling and are quite a bit cheaper - some people want a larger version so this is a good alternative and if, like me, they only ever used them as an 'oven' then not having a pyrex lid isn't a problem and not having removable handles isn't the end of the world either as most MH owners have somewhere to store a 'normal' frying pan.
70639_1

What are your thoughts on the QUALITY of the Lakeland one Richard?

Again thin metal ,can't stack, no lid and not as deep. By all means if you can't wait get one and try it.
Further to the above (abridged) comments, I went to Beverley yesterday and had a shuftie at the Lakeland offering as best I could - it wasn't possible to actually take it out of the packaging as the handles were 'cable tied' together, but from what I could tell it seemed to be good quality and fairly thick aluminium (possibly the same as the DS) and actually quite deep - I think the curved sides makes them look shallower but in reality I don't think there's much in it. I don't see why it wouldn't work like the double skillet so long as you only want to use it as an 'oven' or 2 frying pans, rather than stacking it and wanting a glass lid (we never used ours - way too heavy).

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Just bought a Lodge Dutch oven from the above thread and am really loving it. As we only have hob cooking in the van I will be trying all sorts in it when we full time including breads pizza crumbles etc. It heats up all over which is why it's an oven too. Very ancient. The early settlers to the US used it exclusively on camp fires etc and there is still a firm Dutch oven following in America.
Very exciting! There is much on you tube showing you ideas.

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Hello everyone
Myself and the other half have been keen campers for well over 30 years and we still are. We use the double skillet pan on a regular basis that we have had since new and wouldn't do without it, however,as the original suppliers are no longer in business we have an opportunity to have these manufactured to the same spec if not better than the originals.

So, I'm doing a bit of market research in asking you good people whether there would be any interest.

Thank you for your input

Do you have a picture of this and would be interested.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Can you please tell me it's weight together. I know it will be heavy but cannot find a weight. Thank you

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can you please tell me it's weight together. I know it will be heavy but cannot find a weight. Thank you
The weight is in the product info via the Amazon link -

Product Information
Technical Details
Brand Lodge
Model Number LCC3
Colour Black
Item Weight 6 Kg
Product Dimensions 27 x 37.6 x 9.5 cm
Capacity 3 litres
Material Cast Iron
Special Features Assist handle

Additional Information
ASIN B0009JKG9M
Customer Reviews
4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews
62 reviews
4.8 out of 5 stars
Best Sellers Rank 16,178 in Kitchen & Home (See top 100)
Shipping Weight 6 Kg
Delivery Destinations: Visit the Delivery Destinations Help page to see where this item can be delivered.
Date First Available 12 Dec. 2007

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
wow way too heavy imho i can think of better stuff to take that will equate to this weight

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
wow way too heavy imho i can think of better stuff to take that will equate to this weight
Agreed.

For anyone wanting a multi use hob-top cooking gadget, I would urge you to wait for the double skillet to be reproduced. Nearly all of the alternatives suggested in this thread have been tried by me, except for the Dutch Oven, which is just too damn heavy. I am financially the poorer for trying all these but more than satisfied with the item I settled on in the end - The Double Skillet!

In the last couple of years my double skillet has served up with the following:-
Chilli, curry, spag Bol, whole roast chicken, half roast chicken and roast pots, roast pots and veg (meat done in the pressure cooker), pizza, ginger cake, risotto, tortilla, Full English, poached eggs, omelette, stir fry, beef steaks, turkey steaks, part bake bread, lasagne..... Cannot remember anymore but I am sure you get the picture.

You need the depth of the two pans, you need the defuser I use an Andrew James one, having tried the one supplied by the original Double Skillet seller and found it wanting, the defuser also works very well with my pressure cooker. You need the removable handle so you can go from hob to oven (if you have one) or hob to table.

I have burnt food black and still the skillets come up good. I soak them or a gentle reheat with a bit of water then wipe out with kitchen towel, I avoid washing them with washing up liquid if I can, except after a particularly spicy or smelly dish. The outsides of both pans look shocking but the insides are like new. I have ditched the glass lid as I carried it around for a couple of years and never used it, I use a splatter guard instead or a silicon lid, depending on what I am cooking. By having some sort of lid you can separate the pans when you main dish is almost done and do your veg, spaghetti, pasta, gravy cooked without having to dirty another pan.

Anyway, this is what I have found over the last couple of years living fulltime in the motorhome, 1st year without an oven, 2nd year with an oven, all be it a pretty useless one. The majority of our time is spent off EHU.

I hope this post may help anyone who was thinking of getting a Double Skillet or trying an alternative.

Bon Appetite
Sandra

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sandra - you appear to use your double skillet as we did ours - ie, as an oven or 2 separate pans but NOT stacked, hence my suggestion of the Lakeland offering as an alternative to the 'new' double skillet which will only be the smaller diameter one.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Happy to go with the double skillet but we have to get going and can't wait for it.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Might be work asking @richard foks what timescales are involved as normally can take quite some time to bring a "new" product to market? Think that the Lakeland version looks the best option in the meantime - has anyone tried one yet? Lakeland do have a good returns policy if it isn't suitable :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Agreed.

For anyone wanting a multi use hob-top cooking gadget, I would urge you to wait for the double skillet to be reproduced. Nearly all of the alternatives suggested in this thread have been tried by me, except for the Dutch Oven, which is just too damn heavy. I am financially the poorer for trying all these but more than satisfied with the item I settled on in the end - The Double Skillet!

In the last couple of years my double skillet has served up with the following:-
Chilli, curry, spag Bol, whole roast chicken, half roast chicken and roast pots, roast pots and veg (meat done in the pressure cooker), pizza, ginger cake, risotto, tortilla, Full English, poached eggs, omelette, stir fry, beef steaks, turkey steaks, part bake bread, lasagne..... Cannot remember anymore but I am sure you get the picture.

You need the depth of the two pans, you need the defuser I use an Andrew James one, having tried the one supplied by the original Double Skillet seller and found it wanting, the defuser also works very well with my pressure cooker. You need the removable handle so you can go from hob to oven (if you have one) or hob to table.

I have burnt food black and still the skillets come up good. I soak them or a gentle reheat with a bit of water then wipe out with kitchen towel, I avoid washing them with washing up liquid if I can, except after a particularly spicy or smelly dish. The outsides of both pans look shocking but the insides are like new. I have ditched the glass lid as I carried it around for a couple of years and never used it, I use a splatter guard instead or a silicon lid, depending on what I am cooking. By having some sort of lid you can separate the pans when you main dish is almost done and do your veg, spaghetti, pasta, gravy cooked without having to dirty another pan.

Anyway, this is what I have found over the last couple of years living fulltime in the motorhome, 1st year without an oven, 2nd year with an oven, all be it a pretty useless one. The majority of our time is spent off EHU.

I hope this post may help anyone who was thinking of getting a Double Skillet or trying an alternative.

Bon Appetite
Sandra
It sounds like a ROMESKA,,,,BUSBY.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It sounds like a ROMESKA,,,,BUSBY.
Now ya talking Busby. Love my Romeska and haul it around even though I don't use it too much these days as we have not been on hook up for ages.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back