dordogne??

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by seanoo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. seanoo

seanoo Funster

hi all , i am heading east from bergerac tomorrow following the dordogne river. does anyone know of any nice aires or must see stops, info would be gratefully appreciated. all the best sean:Smile:

2. laneside

laneside Funster

Sarlat is a nice town and I believe there is an aire nearby Lynda is doing a reccy

3. lorger

lorger Funster

There is one right in the town center of Sarlat, it gets busy and just really a car park but ideal for visiting the town as its only a couple of minutes walk.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Rocamadour.

That's a Must See.

We stayed at Le Paradise to see it.

Long time ago.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

There's a good site at St Foye le Grande that is owned by a family from Clitheroe Lanc's. Highly recommended. Good swimming pool to cool off as well.

6. laneside

laneside Funster

N44-53.747 E001---12.747 15 mins. from Sarlat but busy aire and need to arrive early

Domme N44-48.050 E001--13.300 500 metres from a hilltop town

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

31-245 Rue de la République, 24260 Le Bugue, France

We had 2 days here on river side biggest aires I have seen clean tidy
    And 10 minute walk into town good bars and restaurants

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Sarlat-la-Caneda has an aire a little way up the hill from the old town centre, next to the cemetery with what looks like greenhouses in it. It's the first photo in my mapped aire panorama gallery (see link in signature below).

Other aires we have used and would recommend are:

La Roque-Gageac - small aire but nice location for river walks, kayaking and Gabare rides. Aire photo available as above. PS - if you've got a jerry can don't pay for water - use the nearby drinking fountain on the path by the river.

Les Eyzies de Tayac Sirieul - prehistoric capital of France with the Abri Pataud shelter and the Font de Gaume cave art well worth a look, although the latter has a limit on visitors per day, so arrive early. The national museum of Prehistory is in the village. Aire is down by the Vezere river where the rail bridge crosses - best approached from the village centre and not down the narrow lane leading off the main road bridge. Aire photo available as above.

Beynac et Cazenac allows free overnight MH parking in the coach section of their main car park which is on the road running up the gulley beside the chateau in the centre of the village. No services.

Aires we've seen in the area:

Castellnaud la Chapelle permits overnight MH parking in the parking area above the village but much of it is on a slope. I think they were building loos there at Easter but it's still probably better to drive on to Beynac or Roque-Gageac. Nice chateau at Castellnaud with some reconstructed siege engines and lovely views along the valley.

At Roque Sainte Christophe (site of the unusual medieval troglodyte village in a cliff face) you're allowed to stop overnight for free in the car park, but there's no services and it's a bit off the beaten track.

If you want to see some excellent cave art I can highly recommend a drive to the caves at Rouffignac. It's the real thing, whereas Lascaux is a reconstruction.

We visited all of the above places at Easter so it's still very fresh in the memory.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. seanoo

seanoo Funster

thanks all , its nice to get a heads up so i dont miss too much!! info much appreciated

10. amkirman

amkirman Funster

There is a nice Aires at Montfort 10 mins south from Sarlat, if you follow the road passed the Aire to the river there is a campsite with another Aires. Next to the river and with a small beech area.

11. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Rocamadour has got its own area for motorhomes overnighting. Well worth a visit..:thumb:

Wyn

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Later, on your northward journey why not visit Puy Du Fou? It's not far from Cholet and I am raving about it to anyone who will listen (and probably some that won't)

It's fabulous!

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I take it you saw the Cinescenie in the evening then? Like Breughel on Acid - I loved it.

14. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Most definitely. I'd rate it as an experience of a lifetime!

Wyn