Dordogne

Discussion in 'France' started by Coopit, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Coopit

Coopit Funster

Hi. We are off to France on Monday 14th September for three weeks, fancy heading for the Dordogne area. We are in no hurry and drive about 2 hours a day, mainly using Aires and odd campsite. Only booked to Eurotunnel. Got All the Aires, Camperstop and Camping Card.

I'm asking for your suggestions on places to visit and stay on route to and from Dordogne, doesn't matter if it over or under Paris; as may go one way and return the other. I have searched on here for places around the Dordogne, but if you have any must visits I'll add them to my list.

We had a great response from funsters when we toured the Loire Valley in April.

Look forward to your responses. Thanks in anticipation.

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Brantome!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

If you want to see the Dronne valley, then Brantome has 2 Aires, both within easy walking distance of the town. You could travel towards Bourdeilles ( about 4 miles) Lovely, simple but very spacious Aire right by the river. Walk along the river bank to the little town. Couple of nice restaurants.
    If you like French markets Riberac's is on Friday and is the largest in the area. There's a free Aire on the outskirts. Few minutes walk to the market.
    It's an easy drive from Riberac to Bergerac. Wine museum with tastings in the town, looking into the Dordogne river.

If you want a beautiful place to stop, look at Le aGrand Etang de La Jamaye ( between Riberac and Bergerac) very easy access, very beautiful, ( Etang does not do it justice!) I've wild camped there and been the only person there at night. In season there are 1000s of visitors, lifeguards, bars/ restaurants, free kayaks but when the kids go back to school it's much quieter.

Or you can do the above in reverse, end at Brantome and continue on to Le Bugue, Sarlat and onto the prehistoric area.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  4. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Aubbetere is worth a visit , the aire is by the river and a short walk up to the village. It's about 20 mins from ribberac. It is where the underground church is.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I'd forgotten about Aubeterre! Well recommend a visit, lovely town, nice bars in the centre, sit under the trees in the central square. Underground church very interesting and the town is a known craft centre.

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We will be in the dordogne when you are. We intend to be in the vezere valley area .. with possibly a stop over at Parc verger. Will look out for you!
    :cheers:

7. smithy184

smithy184 Funster

Definitely recommend Brantome and Sarlat. Stayed at both this year.

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

St-Cirq Lapopie: there is a campsite alongside the river with an aire outside it. You can walk along the river and then up the hill to the village, which is gorgeous. I would not advise taking the van up there but it is done.

Don't miss this museum and the incredible views from their gorgeous gardens:

http://www.saint-cirqlapopie.co.uk/artists/rignault-museum

Rocamadour: not to everyone's taste but we liked it. Again, several aires and campsites.

9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Well I've been looking for inspiration for our upcoming trip to France...............

Dordogne it is then (y):merci:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenman

Fenman Funster

If you go to Rocamadour then visit the Rochers des Aigles up at the top. It's a wonderful bird sanctuary. Raptors of all sorts and a load of macaws. They do flight displays twice a day. Doesn't open until around 10/10.30 and the morning show is around 11.00. Wonderful.
    There's also a monkey sanctuary, down the bottom and take a left. Very good.
    And if your in Brantome the lovely market is on Fridays and Sarlat is on Saturdays.

11. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Best check my mileage ... :cheers:
    :reel:
    :rofl:

12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

On a serious note .. Oradour-sur-glane is also worth visiting if you're passing. Nice aire too

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Oi .......... cheeky ;)

Yes, I have wanted to go there for a few years now.............. a plan is coming together :)

14. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

On a serious note .. Oradour-sur-glane is also worth visiting if you're passing. Nice aire too

I will 2nd that, very worthy of a visit

15. berni109

berni109 Funster

3rd that but be prepared its a moving experience.
    And I was lead to believe the wrong village.

16. Coopit

Coopit Funster

Thanks for all the responses so far and it's not even 3 hours since I posted. I sense this is going to be a very interesting trip.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Can I add Cahors ? A lovely little town with interesting bridge, a summer and autumn " hidden garden " trail, and a good campsite which is either cyclable, walkable or via free regular bus into town. Good local wine too !

There is an aire but it is very small and always overful when we pass it. We've not been for some years so they might have built another one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fenman

Fenman Funster

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

I second St-Cirq Lapopie, beautiful place, makes me think of Knights on chargers!
    There is a campsite, by the river, in Vers ( down road from Lapopie) there is also an Aire by the old Railway Station (disused) and you use the facilities in the campsite, Vers is interesting but not much there!

20. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Blimey :eek: It's going to take longer to 'do' Dordogne that I thought :eek::eek:

• Like Like x 1