Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, travelling to France at beginning of July for two weeks and trying to make some loose plans for our first adventure. We just can't decide which side to go dordogne or Rhone, both beautiful!

I would appreciate it if anyone could share some thoughts / experiences.

Thanks

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
That's a tough one, but on balance I would go for the Dordogne. Whatever you choose you won't be disappointed. Enjoy.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Then decide based on your wine preference; Begerac or Cote du Rhone.

Keith :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Don't bother with the Dordogne as I'll be there end of June and there won't be any Bergerac left:D

Such difficult choices eh?:cool:

OP
OP
Orchid288

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your comments, even more confused now. I am guessing a lot of it comes down to the wine :beerchug:

Snowdrops, I will check out Bouches de Rhone

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If by Bouche de Rhone you mean the sun-blasted salt marshes of the Camargue all I can say is take plenty of water.

It'd be Dordogne every time for me, but I love my prehistory and there's more stunning cave sites round there than you can shake a spear at. It's quite nice above ground too.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Also take plenty of mosquito repellent.

Absolutely:

Bofors-Mk-I-battery.jpg

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Dordogne is very pretty and in places interesting too, if you like picture perfect scenery, Medieval towns and more true Brits than London then this may be your area.

The Rhone valley, rather either side of the Rhone valley, is equally beautiful but with less apparent history on view. It also has an atmosphere of the French south too which is missing in the Dordogne. The Rhone valley itself is not very pretty in the main as the river is a main commercial artery, I have seen the Rhone close up having both walked and sailed it south from Lyon to the sea. I found it interesting but I also find Birmingham's canals and industrial heritage interesting too.

The Bouche de Rhone is one of our favourite places in the world, there are still a few wild places to be found in the Carmargue and a very laid back area. This area we try to visit every year as it's disappearing gradually.

Hope this helps

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks for your comments, even more confused now. I am guessing a lot of it comes down to the wine :beerchug:

Snowdrops, I will check out Bouches de Rhone
Rose wine from Provence is just stunning and sold anywhere south of Montelimar. We have the last of our few cases left, just as well we go back in June :D

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
If by Bouche de Rhone you mean the sun-blasted salt marshes of the Camargue all I can say is take plenty of water.

It'd be Dordogne every time for me, but I love my prehistory and there's more stunning cave sites round there than you can shake a spear at. It's quite nice above ground too.
The carmargue is just a tiny edge of Bouches de Rhone. St Remy, Marseille, Arles, Cassis, Les Baux, it's so wonderfully varied.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The carmargue is just a tiny edge of Bouches de Rhone. St Remy, Marseille, Arles, Cassis, Les Baux, it's so wonderfully varied.

Due to a change in travel plans for this year we may actually be heading that way in September, so thanks for the pointers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back