Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Hi Folks,

We are planning a trip next May to The Dordogne for two weeks. Because our time is limited I need your advice on must places to go/see, sites to stay at, aires to use there and on the way down.

Ok everyone let me have it! :thumb: :Smile: :winky:

Keith

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Folks,

We are planning a trip next May to The Dordogne for two weeks. Because our time is limited I need your advice on must places to go/see, sites to stay at, aires to use there and on the way down.

Ok everyone let me have it! :thumb: :Smile: :winky:

Keith

Hi there,you could try entering 'Dordogne' into the Forum search engine-there is a plethera of posts on the subject.

Mike

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We can recommend Brantome and Perigrieux good aires at both, Brantome highly recommended it is stunning and a good big market on a Friday. Perigrieux Aire is on the river side, 15 min walk along it to the town and the old town is worth a visit. :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We can recommend Brantome and Perigrieux good aires at both, Brantome highly recommended it is stunning and a good big market on a Friday. Perigrieux Aire is on the river side, 15 min walk along it to the town and the old town is worth a visit. :thumb:

Brantome is great-such fun to watch the French leaving around 0800hrs and returning after the guy has been round to collect the fee. ::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
A taster of Brantome for you the second one shows the market much bigger than can be seen. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 52

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
You could always stay at Parc Verger, which is close to the edge of the Dordogne. Within an hour of here are Perigueux, Brantome, the weekly market at Piegut, Angouleme, the martyr village of Oradour sur Glane, the city of Limoges, the mediaeval town of St Yrieix la Perche, and so many other locations you'll need to come back to see them all. And you'll be within about 30 seconds of KSE Bruce:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wherever you decide to stay, have a great time - this is a beautiful area.
Bob

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Just got back from first time visit to the Dordogne 2 weeks ago. I totally agree about the comments re: Brantome, only got a couple of hours in Perigeux but what we saw of the old town was lovely.
I'd recommend visiting Belves and Domme, both are Bastides & superbly located not only for the place themselves but for the stunning views of the Dordogne countryside. We then went on to La Roque-Gageac (excellent Aire on edge of Village & next to a Canoe hire place) this is great for canoeing down the river & getting picked up & returned by bus - I can highly recommend this superb Chateauxs clinging to the cliffs as you paddle along! not forgetting La Roque which is beautiful.
Sarlat is not far from here and I'd say another must see. As you are going out of the main season I would suggest you use the ACSI book & card to get discounts on Campsites which are superb.
Hope you enjoy it, I think there is a strong chance of us returning next Year.:thumb:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Sorry forgot to mention, we decided to do the journey over a couple of days each way & use non toll roads but that's very much an individual choice. I must say that I enjoyed travelling at a steady pace taking in the French countryside, towns & Villages.
We stopped at Chartres ACSI site 1403 and an Aire just below Poitiers going and coming back Chateauroux and Boulogne (wouldn't particularly recommend)
All the Aires France book (www.vicariousbooks.co.uk) was very helpful & highly recommended.

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
We did that last may. But from up river towards the sea. Started near Bort Les Orgues near the upper of 6? Huge Dams. There is a small Aire free right in the town. We then wandered west for a couple of days on empty roads never meeting another MH or Brit. Wonderfull. The dams in the upper gorges are quite breathtaking and well worth the trouble. Wildlife also worth a look being a less populated region than the lower more popular region.
When we got to near Tulle and found a few MH's we turned south to Cahors and the Lot turning east back up the river.
IMO I prefer the Lot but all to their own. Been before and would go back but not to the lower reaches. Too many brits by far.
Peter

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've recently stayed on the aires at La Roque-Gageac (described above) and Les Eyzies de Tayac Sirieul which is the prehistoric rock shelter capital of France, housing both their National Museum of Prehistory and the PIP Museum. The best prehistoric site to visit within easy walking distance of the aire is Abri Pataud, where the archaeological site layers have all been preserved. Don't be fooled by its outward appearance of a large concrete and tin shed - inside is quite fascinating, if you like that sort of thing.

We would happily visit both aires again, and plan to return to the area next Easter. The main thing to be aware of in the Dordogne is that the public transport is lousy or non existent, which limits your range a bit once parked on an aire. If you want to commute to some of the other cave sites you might be better off staying on a campsite. Also - to visit the Font de Gomme cave, one of the few with original cave art on display, you have to book months in advance.

At Cahors there's free overnight MH parking at the Saint Georges car park just south of the bend in the river, and a very compact aire/service area round the corner. Free shuttle buses run from just opposite the parking. Apart from the Medieval bridge, there's also a rather unique French Resistance Museum in the town that's free entry.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Folks,

We are planning a trip next May

Keith

Wishing your life away.

I keep making this mistake, you plan and scheme and plan for a year then when it finally happens it's all over in a blink.

If you find the cure let me know.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Question re Rocamadour - never been, always fancied it ever since Arthur Eperon told me about it on the BBC Holiday Show one winter Sunday in pre-history !

It's precipitous, yes? So can you actually get anywhere near the place in a MH? Or are there 'arrangements' for access from t' bottom of t'hill ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's precipitous, yes? So can you actually get anywhere near the place in a MH? Or are there 'arrangements' for access from t' bottom of t'hill ?

We parked at the bottom.

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 27
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 24
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 24
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 25
  • r5.jpg
    r5.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 21

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We were last there in May and got parked at the Roche d'Aigles (bird of prey sanctuary) car park for free.:thumb:

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Big thank you to all the feed-back on this subject. I knew you lot would have the info. Anymore input gratefully accepted!

Keith :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well that picture certainly answers my question, doesn't it? I spy with my litle eye, one motorhome.

Thanks Jim!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back