Free Member
May 3, 2016
surrey
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2016
Hi there, does anyone have any ideas for what to use as a doorstop when we just want the sliding door on our fiat ducato van conversion open a little?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sorry, you'll have to use your imagination for that one :)
Hi and a very warm welcome to the slightly mad house of Funsters :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A tennis ball jammed in the bottom runner ... seriously it does work! Just make sure your dog doesn't pull the ruddy thing out though! :D

You can also do it in the top runner but it's not so easy to reach!

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Would a piece of wood with 'V' notches cut in either end work?

Welcome!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would a piece of wood with 'V' notches cut in either end work?

Welcome!
Probably ... be where's the fun in that when we can 'tease' our dog by nicking her tennis ball! :D

Upvote 0

Deleted User
A tennis ball jammed in the bottom runner ... seriously it does work! Just make sure your dog doesn't pull the ruddy thing out though! :D

You can also do it in the top runner but it's not so easy to reach!

Brilliant:)........I have just been looking for the same thing myself and found this link

At 23 euro's I was not thinking of buying one but making one myself but have just tried the tennis ball , we are in the van on an aire in Trujillo and happen to have a tennis ball with us, don't know why....no dog and it's a hell of a long time since I played tennis:)

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Half brick?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi there, does anyone have any ideas for what to use as a doorstop when we just want the sliding door on our fiat ducato van conversion open a little?
Close the door completely and open the window in it. That's what we do. :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You can make a 'stop' for your door if you want by utilising one of the holes in the bottom rail along with a square headed bolt and nuts.

The reason for the square headed bolt was that I was able to slot the head through one of the oval holes in the lower rail and then turn it slightly (approx 20 degrees) so the now 'diamond shape' meant it was retained within the hole, I then used a couple of nuts to make it secure and also so that the nuts extended to the end of the bolt's thread (locking nut on the end).

When the door was part opened the moving 'locking arm' rested against the new 'stop' on whichever side would keep it open (depending on the slope) the only thing I needed to remember was that to open or close the door I had to ensure that I pulled the handle so that the 'arm' would go past the bolt - it is therefore important to get the right length of bolt so that it's long enough for the 'arm' to rest against but not overly long so that it can't pass by it when opening/closing the door.

I found this worked very well on our previous Autocruise PVC but haven't bothered to do it on our Globecar as the door doesn't open as wide anyway as it already had a stop on it to prevent it clashing with a rear window if it was open.

You can just see the bolt in the top right of this photo which I took for another purpose.

bolt 2.jpg

Instead of a bolt and nuts you could try using something else but this worked well for our van.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back