Door catch sticking (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Hi Folks, I have a ten year old Benimar, the door catch sticks from the outside and yet opens freely from the inside. Is there a way of adjusting it. I notice there are two allum headed bolts above and below the catch, what are these for?

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Do you mean that the striker doesn't clear the housing when you open the door from the outside or does the handle seem to stick? In either case, have you lubricated the lock etc?

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi a pic may help ? Lubricate with either dry graphite oil or silicon spray,not WD. Check to see if the hinges have bent slightly - if they have you can stick a 2 ft long bit of timber (2 x2 ins) in the door opposite the hinge,shut the door onto it and bend them back a bit ::bigsmile:-hope you understand what I mean :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Hi Terry,
Thanks for sugestions. You are correct that striker does not clear from outside but does from inside. Have tried lubrication, but so far no good. Do you know of a way to tighten the catch. By the way anyone know what the allum head bolts actually do?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the allen headed bolts are probably there to hold the door together, or hold part of the door strengthener. Doors are made like the walls with insulation beween 2 skins, sothe latch/lock area needs to be reinforced

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Thanks to Swiftroy and Terry. Decided to take your advice on lubrication a further step and purchased Comma spray grease, comes in an aerosol with a 75mm fine tube probosis attachment. Managed to get it right inside the lock and give it a bloody good squirt. Five minutes of operating the lock and she is now free as a bird - nice one guys!:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back